Springville Meats

broadfork

I was able to help a friend out on his Wasatch Moose tag this year. It was a cool experience. He ended up killing a good bull with his bow, right in front of his wife, my daughter and me. Good times! the moose actually ran to a road and died right next to it. Awesome luck. We were able to gut, quarter and cape the bull right there, and got him in the pickup within an hour and a half. He drove strait to town and threw 15 bags of ice on the bull and waited till morning. He then drove it to Springville meats.

Here's the jacked up part. He lives in Idaho and drove home. He came back the following week to pick up his meat, and they told him it had "Bone Spoil". They then gave him 220 lbs. I was on my friends Mountain goat hunt, so he just dropped half that bull off to me. Good meat by the way. When I got home I called to thank him for it, and he told me what happened. It sure didn't sound right to me. So I said he needed to raise hell with them.

He called the next day, and amazingly another 180 lbs was found unspoiled. WEIRD! So the point of this post is to make others aware of the terrible dishonest business practices. I would hate to see another person get screwed on their hard earned animal. This is not hearsay, this is factual.

Has anyone else dealt with a poor meat cutter?

I have actually used springville meats numerous times and they have done a great job. I wonder if they "lost" a box of meat in the piles and piles of meat they take in.

Last year I took my Wy bull elk to miers in draper. They called and said it was done. When I picked it up I thought this cant be all of it. But, went on my way as they said that is all. About 2 days later they called me and said they had found a bag of meat that had been misplaced in the locker.

It was an honest mistake and I was glad to get it.

Maybe springville misplaced it and did not know at the time?

Dont know what to say about the bone rot story though. I think everyone can have a bad day.

Glad he got his bull. Any pics?

I've used springville meats for numerous times, twice just this year in fact. Never had any problems at all.

I've always used Springville Meat and never had any problems...their jerky is second to none. My guess is that it really was misplaced because I can't imagine them trying to keep it...

Cutbow

I have used Springville meats lots over the years and have never had a problem and think it is one of the better places to take game. Most likely an honest mistake and the person just guessed that it must have spoiled to explain the missing portion.

Sounds like someone wanted to take some moose home to me. That wouldn't happen to be that 53 inch moose killed on the Wasatch would it? If so a friend I work with shared the photo its very impressive.

How the Hell is a Guy like me suppose to get a Fresh Moose Steak if I can't buy one at the Meat Locker?:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Having grown up in Springville, I have taken many animals to Springville Meats over the years. I have since moved a couple of hours away and have taken several animals to other places to be processed. In my opinion Springville Meats is hands down the best. In fact, I will often make the 2 hour drive because I feel they do such a great job. I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

I have taken several animals there over the years. I have had very good experiences with them and they make fantastic jerky.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

I've had very good luck with springville meats. I'd take my stuff to them again In a second!

I have taken our last two elk into Springville meats to be processed. I have nothing but praise for the work that they have done. More then likely a box of meat was misplaced. I am sure that Springville meats would have contacted your friend once the box was located.

400bull

I can't really comment on SM as the only thing I've had them do was make some bacon for me, but I did take a moose once to another butcher shop.

I took a full moose to this shop, everything but the ribs. After getting a call saying it was done I showed up to pick it up. The butcher walked out with 2 1/2 milk crates full of meat and that was it. I asked about the rest and was told that was everything. This was an 8 1/2 year old moose not an two point buck. I confronted the butcher about it so he walked through his coolers and came back again the the response that that was it. Now I know dang well that there should have been 5 times what I was given. I left only paying for what I got.

Same butcher a year later, with a bull I killed on my LE Elk hunt. By this time I had already found a new butcher but he was busy and with the temp I didn't want to take a chance of the meat going bad. I took my elk to the same place with some specific request to have all the quarters washed off and let air dry before butchering. I don't think I have ever seen so much dirt and hair on an animal after being butchered.

Now I only use this guy "JRS Wild Game Processing" He does one hell of a fine job. He's done everything from pigs to antelope for me. I know with him I will only get my meat back and not someone else's rotten junk like with some other butcher shops. He will cut to my requests and the service can't be beat. If your in Utah county he is the guy to go to.

I actually think springville meats is the most honest, and best place there is.
I have taken many many animals there, and always been treated fairly with good results.
I think they are one of the best there is!
Sorry you had a bad experience.
That has certainly NOT been my experience.

I echo what others have said. I used Springville Meat this year for my elk. It was my first experience with sending my animal in for processing. Great overall experience.

deerslayer88. I've used Ford's for 17 years and have always had a good experience with them.

I've used Springville Meats for the past 8 years and have always had a good experience with them.

copple2

You know he used Springville meats, because I said they do good work. They have butchered 6 animals in the past for me. I have never had a problem. However, for them to claim that an animal was spoiled. Then to have to argue with the owner over it. All of a sudden 180 lbs show up. I don't know. Seems a little fishy to me.

Oh well, all is well that ends well.

I love all the hunters in the world that always get screwed by their butcher. They bounce around to a new cutter every year dragging names through the mud. Whether its the "I know I shouldve got more meat" or "they gave me someone else's meat" or "they charge way too much". Honest mistakes happen, especially at this time of year when the shops get pounded with extra business from wild game season. Why would a butcher want to steal moose meat when he could have prime cuts of beef? Give me a break.

As far as the spoiling goes, Im sure that is 100% truthful as well. Big bulls spoil quick. Theres a real good reason why beef are split immediately once killed.

A ton of cry babies in the world that are never happy. Then they get on a website and bash a company name when in my opinion, the meat shop made a simple mistake and made it right.

I have never used a meat cuter probably never will. Always done my own butchering. Then again I have a slicer, and grinder, and vacuum sealer so I can get away with it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-13 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]"A ton of cry babies in the world that are never happy. Then they get on a website and bash a company name when in my opinion, the meat shop made a simple mistake and made it right"

I can only assume you are referring to me starting this post. Well Jray, you are ignorant to the facts. The butcher told him it bone spoiled. It did not. If it had, then how does 180lbs of meat miraculously show up unspoiled? I was not the one who got screwed on the deal. So maybe your can check your holier then thou attitude.

I suppose I should not have come to a website that many hunters visit. I knows its crazy to share a real experience with others. What was I thinking?

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-13
>AT 08:11?AM (MST)

>
>"A ton of cry babies in
>the world that are never
>happy. Then they get on
>a website and bash a
>company name when in my
>opinion, the meat shop made
>a simple mistake and made
>it right"
>
>I can only assume you are
>referring to me starting this
>post. Well Jray, you
>are ignorant to the facts.
> The butcher told him
>it bone spoiled. It
>did not. If it
>had, then how does 180lbs
>of meat miraculously show up
>unspoiled? I was not
>the one who got screwed
>on the deal. So
>maybe your can check your
>holier then thou attitude.
>
>I suppose I should not have
>come to a website that
>many hunters visit. I
>knows its crazy to share
>a real experience with others.
> What was I thinking?
>

I dont live in Springville nor have I ever used Springville Meats but it bugs me anytime people bash a good company publicly. This could spread BS rumors throughout the hunting community that they are crooked and potentially hurt their business (not only wild game but domestic). Judging by the stats of all the positive experience replies to your original post, Im thinking Springville does quality work and your friends case was a true misplacing of the meat. Maybe you have, but until you've been in a meat shop during wild game season you probably wouldnt understand how busy it is and how many different people have a part in it, which makes it easy to have one mistake out of the hundreds, if not thousands of animals taken in.

I also feel that you are simply the third party in this situation and thats probably what bothered me the most of your posting. It wouldve sounded much more reasonable had your buddy posted about HIS experience. And if I personally had the experience, I wouldnt throw the company name out.

I wasnt and am still not trying to be ignorant like you stated, I just hear guys whining every year about something a certain meat shop did to them and they ##### to everyone about it. Its hard work and nobody's perfect. Im just expressing my opinion from both sides I guess.

I don't anything about your deal, but I did hear that elkassassin took one of his pizzcuters to them , and they felt so sorry for him , they gave him two rabbits so he would have enough for a dinner for three,,,

Never tried them, but if I lived in the area, with all the good reports on this post, I think I would try them if needed. I butcher my own.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom