Stalking Boots

JeremyKS

I'm looking for a good pair of lightweight flexible boots that will be used for stalking on bow hunts. Whats everybody using?

Thick wool socks work good...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have made something of a big deal about the newly improved Lowa Renegade GTX boot as being very quiet both in the field and in the house. It is a lightweight 6 inch hiker with a soft outsole but it is made well and still provides some support.

There are a couple of other boots that look interesting to me for your purpose. One is the Rocky SV2 and the other is the Lowa Uplander which uses the same outsole as the Renegade described above. I have not used either in the field yet but they look and feel right for the task and both are 8 inch boots.

Nike and Oakley both make quiet tactical boots but I am not sure they would make good hunting boots.

Lastly, for colder weather and long periods of sitting still, take a look at the Lowa Creek. It is lightweight, soft, lace up pac style boot again with the soft outsole. That one I have tested and like it very much.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Wade I looked at the Renegade and like the looks of the brown boot but I wear a 13 wide and they only make the black/navy boot in that size and for some reason I can't get past the black color.

You got a link for the Uplander? I can't find them on Lowa's site.

I like the looks of the Rocky but it looks as if they have holes in it so I would take it they are not waterproof. Good looking sole though.

Jeremy Gugelmeyer
www.sagebrushhunts.com

ooh!

I will ask Lowa about availability of the brown Renegade in Wide and when the Uplander will hit the stores. Sorry about that, I see them quite a bit before they are available on the retail market.

I think you might be looking at the military or duty SV2 models. There are a number of different models of the Rocky SV2 that range in price from $139 to $352 for a Gore-Tex flash fire resistant boot #101-1. Look at the camo insulated Gore-Tex ScentLok model #8824. Remember that these are just ideas. I am not recommending them yet because I have not had a chance to get them in the field and evaulate them.

The Rocky Bobcat and Stalkers are also worth a look with the same admonition. Hopefully Rocky will get with the program and call me back soon.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Right now the Talus' are at the top of the list to try next unless you find a pair of the Renegade wides in Brown but I will look at these other Rockies. I have only had 1 pair of Rockies and did not have much luck with them. This was 4-5 years ago so I might be willing to try another pair.
Thanks

Jeremy Gugelmeyer
www.sagebrushhunts.com

I bought a pair of Lowa Kody's about a month ago and I am pretty sure they have the same quiet soles as the Renegades. You may want to try them on for size? They are super light and quiet. I also believe they have a gortex inner.

Jeremy

From Lowa.

"Re: the Renegades in wide/brown ? not this year, I'm not sure about next year yet. The wides are available in the asphalt color."

Sorry, no joy.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Cabelas Dry Plus archery boot is $100-$119 and by far the lightest and most comfortable boot I've ever had. After a year and a half they leaked a little water around the ankle...took them back and got a brand new pair for only $20...

~Z~

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]The first pair I bought were uninsulated and the new pair is 400 gram thinsulate because they were out of my size for the other...different prices for uninsulated and 400 grams
so I think that's where the 20 came from...but honestly I didn't ask questions, I just paid it and shut up since I was expecting to fork out another hundred...

I just checked them out on their website, they are the Full-Draw Hunting Boot, and actually they're cheaper now $89 and $99

Hmmm...good question Wade, what the hell was the $20 for??

~Z~

I found the Rockies you were referring and they look nice except for the 200 grams of insulation, I might keep these in mind for late season boots. Do you know if the uplander will come in a wide size?
It looks like the Kodys were an old model?

I think I will try the Talus or wait till Sept.

Jeremy Gugelmeyer
www.sagebrushhunts.com

I've had a pair of Full Draws now for five seasons. Great stalking boot. Very light but support the ankle well. Waterproofing has been good although they will puncture. They are quiet. They are also cool in the non-insulated version. The soles have done well through some very rocky terrain. Downside is they don't stop cactus. Prickly-pear and other long spined cacti will go right through the nylon instep. Not a boot for packing weight either.

Excellent for stalking and/or day hunts out of camp or from a vehicle where there isn't going to be a ton of verticle.

I am also very interested in the Danner desert boot. Would like to hear something about that one. Seems the boot would be a little better with a load than most stalkers out there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom