Stallion Bull Oryx 36 1/2

live4muleys

WOW what a tough hunt is what I have to say about this hunt. It was not what I was thinking it was going to be. We didn't see very many oryx on Satuday and I was a little worried that I was coming home with nothing, so before we left the hotel on Sunday morning I decided that I was taking the first oryx to present a shot. Luck would be on my side as we ran into a herd just a little into the morning. It was a group of about 20 or so. I ended up hitting this bull on a dead run,(after missing a couple of times, hint that is why I say Elksnipper kept his composer better then I did I was way to excited) but I hit him a little low. I got him right in the shoulder just below the kill zone and the tracking was on. We got bullets and headed after him. After a good two mile chase I was able to close the distance and get a couple more shots in him, on the run. The third shot rolled him and I yelled "Got it its down". Just to be safe I went to reload and came to the conclusion that I had lost the bullets somewhere on the chase between the running and crawling and everything else to get close to him. We thaught it wouldn't matter since he rolled with the last shot, so we started to make our way to him, just when we rounded a yucca there he was sitting there looking straight at us. I continued to check every pocket I had and to find nothing. I had no extra bullet anywhere on me. So we inched closer to see what was going on with him and realized he could not get up, but he tried. He tried to come after us with his horns pointed straight at the rest of my hunting party. The last shot I took had taken out the other shoulder just below the kill zone on the other side. We thought instead of trying to back track it would be fast to go get the back up riffle and finish him, so here we go all the way back to the truck for the riffle. When we get back, I put the finishing bullet in him. Then the others still had to walk back to the truck one more time to get it.

802pict0307.jpg

Here is me and crew (Me, My Brother Franciso aka Kiko, My nephew Ness and My other Brother Gabe) Lots of Kikos on that hunt.

4312pict0312.jpg

And after we had it out of the range, my little one loved it or it seemed.

9598pict0315.jpg

And also want to thank John for some help.
It was a blast, but a very tough hunt.

Nice job, congrats! Its a good feeling (one of relief) once you punch that tag, isn't it?

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Good job! Over the years these hunts have gone from "shooting fish in a barrel" to a pure panic to get a trophy down in 2 days...There are still quite a few animals out there, but it's getting harder and harder to find trophy animals...so again great job!!!

Congrats awesome looking bull ! the hunter I was hunting with missed 40inch bull sat morn and a 38inch bull sun morn before we realized his gun was way off this past weekend lol his scope got must have gotten hit and threw it off it always pays to bring a backup gun on these OIL hunts because u never know what can happen . But it all worked out we ended up shooting a 39 3/4inch cow after it was all said and done on sunday.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom