Stallion Range Oryx

OldJake

I'm getting packed tonight and leaving tomorrow night for NM. My 2 day OIL hunt starts Saturday morning. Only game plan so far is to just use the optics. Hope that's enough!

I'm taking my two boys (13 and 10) with me. Should be a good time!

Wish me luck!

Dustin

Good luck! It's a fun hunt. Glassing is the way to go, but don't be too picky for your OIL. It's not a easy as it used to be.

I'm looking forward to the expo in a couple weeks and seeing your awesome deer, along with spidey. What booth?

Dustin,

Good luck man. I know for sure that you will have some fun with your two boys. That's what it is all about. I too will be in the area with my two boys (13 and 9) on an offrange Oryx hunt. I will be hitting the fence lines just off the Stallion, hoping some of you guys get some oryx moving and and pushed offrange. Thus far, I was out there opening weekend. We did see 4 of them offrange from the Stallion. They were about 200 yard from the boundary. Once they saw me at about 1000 yards, they ran to the Stallion fence and under they went. Once they were about 100 yards onrange, they stopped and gave me the hoof.

This weekend is still a little up in the air. My back kind of went out. I am hoping I feel better by Friday to give it a go. If not, we will try to get out the last full week of this month. Not looking for a recipe for tag soup. Hoping to notch it instead.

I am planning to hunt at the north boundary of the Stallion. We are planning to stay in Socorro a night or two. Maybe run into you guys there.

Dustin, have a safe one, have fun, and good luck.

Hey guys it looks like we have the same hunt. I will be heading up there with my 6 yr old son and my father. I am excited and I hope we all get one!!
I will be in a red 4 door tacoma hope to meet some of you guys out there and talk a little. If phone #s need exchanged or radio channels lets do it we might all need help or something out there.
I will be staying in Socorro over the weekend.

Jeff

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

Good luck! I'll be making the drive from Minnesota down to hunt Stallion in March. I can't wait!
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

It's a great hunt for Oryx,I think RC has easier terrain where SR is more open.Get the best optics,at least 10X and more is better.My daughter and I drew last year and I hope the wife draws this year or I can find somebody else to put in so I can go back.If you haven't been you might want to find the gate the day before just so you know where to go.

oldjake-lionking

hope ur hunt went great!!

habitat...told my few friends to put in so I can go back too...I hope they do!

vinihunt

Okay guys, sorry it has taken me so long. My computer was down for a while and........excuses excuses!

The boys and I had a great trip. Worst part about it was we forgot the hunter orange. Walmart in Soccoro was all out and no-one else in town had any either (we got there to late for the sporting goods store - it was closed). We ended up driving 45 miles back north up the interstate to the next walmart to get some! Oh well!

Here is my boys when we got to New Mexico. The sun was bright that morning!
NMORYX2009003-1.jpg

We saw plenty of oryx on our hunt, but I don't think I ever saw one over 35". I held out as long as I could. The boys were getting nervous about the whole deal so on Sunday afternoon, I took this nice bull. I am plenty happy with him, but for all you trophy guys he is 32".
NMORYX2009016-1.jpg

Thanks to everyone that gave info and helped with our hunt. My boys are looking forward to when they will have their opportunity to draw and hunt. Also, we have been putting in for elk in NM, but are yet to draw. This year I'm lowering our standards a little (on units we are applying for) so hopefully we will get to make another trip to NM this year. If one of us draws, I'll be sure to let you know. Planning for a hunt is a lot of the fun for me!

Thanks again!

Dustin

Nice Oryx,can't wait to go again.Hopefully the wife will draw soon or my other daughter.My 13 year old and I drew this year and had a blast.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom