Steens Muley Help

HoofsUp

I drew the Steens Buck deer tag this year and was wondering if anyone has recent information about decent areas. I am planning on scouting the new areas that opens with the Access and Habitat program. I would like to get away from teh raods and 80% of the hunters. I also don't mind spiking out for a night or two. Does anyone know of a good 2-3 day loop/hunt that might be productive? I don't expect coordinates, but any information would be great. I am actually debating taking my 10 year old under the mentored youth program, so tell me what you think about a youth hiking in any suggested areas. Thanks and feel free to PM. If you give information by PM, I will keep it to myself.

I drew the same tag. Four years ago my daughter had the tag and we made the mistake of hunting up high and saw very few deer. This time I'm going to hunt the foothills down lower and see what I can come up with.

HoofsUp I would suggest doing the same thing springer just suggested. If you hunt smart you will see more deer, more bucks and some of the big bucks people complain they don't see on the Steens anymore.

It's a tough hunt, 3 of the best hunters I know back pack hunted it hard 2 years ago and killed one 160 buck. I haven't hunted it for deer in about 10 years but I chucker hunt parts of the Steens in Nov and Dec and it's been years since I've seen anything close to book. beutiful country and a fun hunt but if you're looking for a monster like most folks are when they hunt the Steens you're going to need some luck.

Springer has a good idea but you'll be just as unhappy with your findings unless your next to someones alfalfa field. True mountain deer populations on the steens are terrible these days, even in the most perfect looking areas. Yes there are a few and you could still turn up a toad buck with alot of time and LUCK!
All of our hunting dollars spent by all of us hunters in Oregon have done nothing for this area. And the answer I get for the problem is, Quote: " I don't know why but the Steen's deer machine just dosen't make deer anymore."

Im just glad the ODFW dosen't manage the sage rats where I live or I wouldn't have anything to shoot.

Good luck Steens tag holders, Koyote

Koyote, that is funny. Have to agree with what you are saying. Two of my partners spent a week on the east face a couple of years ago, hunted hard, knew the country, although had not hunted there for 20 years, saw two forked horns, and about 20 deer total, except for those on private land along the road.

Like the trout creeks, there will be a few great bucks scattered over a huge country, but if you enjoy seeing deer when you are hunting, you will be disappointed.

Scoutdog

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-08 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys! Discouraging information, but I will have a great time no matter what. I plan on taking my 10 year old and letting him fill the tag on the Mentored Youth program (if mama let's him skip school). He turns 11 on the 16th of October, so it will be a early b-day present.

I do plan on checking out the newly opened areas under the A&H program.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-08
>AT 12:10 PM (MST)

>
>Thanks guys! Discouraging information, but I
>will have a great time
>no matter what. I plan
>on taking my 10 year
>old and letting him fill
>the tag on the Mentored
>Youth program (if mama let's
>him skip school). He turns
>11 on the 16th of
>October, so it will be
>a early b-day present.
>
>I do plan on checking out
>the newly opened areas under
>the A&H program.

I've had an LOP tag in there the last two years and the numbers are just not there. There are a few decent bucks left, but very rare. I think that if you can put your 11 year old on a buck, that will be as much of a rush as killing a good buck. That is exactly what I plan on doing this year.

I've got a 10 year old that turns 11 in Sept., and he is ready to tag a buck. The ODFW hasn't done much for deer, but this mentor program is awesome!!!

I agree any buck will be a great first! I am more excited that he is finally old enough to take one himself. I can't wait for the hunt to start.

Good luck with your 10yo!

I was in the Unit yesterday on the north side and didn't see anything. Looks pretty grim. The cows were out on the BLM ground. I was checking things out around the 5,500'-6,000' range.

Our group has been scouting sheep for about a week now, and have been hiking and glassing hard in all the sheepy spots north and south. The deer total is around 6 animals with the one buck being a spike. I've been hoping for a turnaround with the deer on the mountain but it seems to be getting worse, which I didd'nt think was possible. This place is doomed in my lifetime for Muley's.

Koyote

The mule deer situation in Oregon is beyond bad and the SE area is about the worst. as long as Oregon hunters don't demand a change of managment and they whack every forkie they see I don't ever see much hope.

Quantity over quality is bad enough in my opinion but we don't even have quantity.

Back
Top Bottom