STEERING WHEEL STORIES???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Seem's as of Late!

I've Seen/Heard of more Steering Wheels coming off/Not being Locked on Proper as of lately than ever before!

Jimmy Johnson during a Practice!

Dale Jr during a Race!

A Couple in the NHRA Cars!

You Guys got any Steering Wheel Stories?

I've got one that I never forget!

(No the Steering Wheel didn't come off!)

Me & two other Guys heading to Work several Years ago!

I'm sittin in the Middle!

The Driver/Owner of the Truck Likes His Rock & Roll Music!

The Guy on the Passenger side Likes His Country!

I'm in the Middle/Neutral Ground!:D

They Keep taking Turns reaching over Switching the Radio Back & Forth From Country to Rock & Roll & Vise-Versa!

This Goes on for about 20 Minutes when the Guy on the Passenger Side says:You #### with that Radio one more Time I'm gonna do something Real Serious!

The Driver keeps looking at over at Him with the Evil Eye & Finally Says:WTH do you Think you're gonna do?

Driver No more than got the Words out of His Mouth & the Passenger reaches over & Yanks the Keys out of the Ignition at 70 MPH!

Driver Gets Nerved Up & Yanks the Wheel to the Left & Locked the Wheel Up!

We're Veering Left at a Perty Good Rate & off the Road We Go!

Thank God there wasn't any Oncoming Traffic!

When the Dust Clears and We Finally Stop,The Guy in the Passengers Seat says:"That's WTF I'm Gonna Do"!:D

The Radio was Shut Off all the rest of the way!:D:D:D

(1911's Probably Enjoy these kinda Stories!:D)

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Yeah Bess, I was up some 15 Miles above Chester on a service call to a Cabin right next to Lassen National Park and the steering wheel just came/broke off in my hands. Thought i was screwed but i pushed it down where it goes and could kinda steer. Made it back to town but it was a slow trip and iffy for awhile there.

The guy i got to help me fix it said it happens from years of pulling oneself up into the cab by grabbing the steering wheel.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Ya Uncle sage!

I Thought about your Story from many Years ago when I Was Typing the Story!

I Know another Guy that done the same thing with His as you did with yours!

"The GENUINE ACCESSORY STEERING WHEEL CAME RIGHT OFF IN MY HANDS,LOL!

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Ok elkassassin, just because you're my best'est Buddy and, I can now write something.....from my past.

It was 1890, maybe 1850...100's of years ago. I was a High School Sophomore and one of my best friends asks me if I wanted to go Cruising with him. American Graffiti style Cruising. There were no Beer parties that night but I "may have" practiced holding the crown of 3 seconds or less to Chug a Colt 45 Malt Liquor Tall.

I'm eventually in the back seat of his Mothers Ford fastback....for obvious reasons. He "may have" snuck the keys/car. He'd driving and another friend is in the passenger seat. He normally would never have Shotgun, but I was happy to give it up.

Time passes and I either wake up or, get an idea that I need to Pee. My friend, the driver thinks he saw some Gals and wants to keep cruising to find them. I ask him to stop several more times and man, I really need to go Pee. He keeps driving and I am about to grab him but, as I roll around the bottom of a very small back seat floor, I find the remedy.

I tell him pull over or I'm going to get you to stop. He says we are on 5th street (Residential area) and there's nowhere to stop. I have always been jovial and there was no limit back then as to how down right FUNNY I will get, after Colt 45 Tall Chugging Practice. I forget about needing to Pee because "I'm Gunna Be Funny" + Watch him Pee "His Pants". So, down of the back floor I FIND then light, an emergency Road Flare and blindly chuck it up into the drivers front seat areas.

We stopped instantly. He was trying to open his driver door but I jumped on top of his seat, pushing him down and I climb out. He finally can move and grabs the Burning Road Flare. He throws it hard, straight up. I'm outside on 5th street Peeing. He's looking for damage.

So, I'm as happy as a Lark as I relieve myself. However, during this relief time I happen to look up. Holly-Cow..... I tell my friend "Look at what YOU did" (Like in the Tommy Boy movie). We are all looking up and his throw was perfect. The burning Flare landed on wood cross members of a wooden telephone pole. 40 something feet up, we watch the sky shine brightly. We jumped back into the Fastback and he burned rubber up 5th street.

Day's later we returned to the scene. His burn-out was visible. The telephone pole had some Black Burn markings and the white/gray residue from a flare. Nothing was damaged on the Pole. The floorboard of his Mothers car was burned but apparently his work at using school glue and hair covered it enough for time to pass, therefore, his Mother never connected him to the Burns.

We always found some vehicle to return to Cruising. I miss the 1800's....

A little different but my headlights went out on my classic Mustang in 1876 by Pocatello Idaho. Going freeway speed and all dark no moon. It was nice I stayed on the road. Had to replace the upholstery, lol.

A removable steering wheel makes for a great anti theft device.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>A little different but my headlights
>went out on my classic
>Mustang in 1876 by Pocatello
>Idaho. Going freeway speed and
>all dark no moon. It
>was nice I stayed on
>the road. Had to replace
>the upholstery, lol.

Funny you mention that. The other week, I was heading home from work at the crack of pre dawn. I'm going 70 in commuter traffic on the freeway behind a refer semi. The semi sucks up a large appliance cardboard box on the shoulder, pulls it into my lane behind him, and it literally encased my entire view. I flipped on the blues and slowly crept onto the right shoulder praying there wasn't a car in the break down lane. My driver seat fabric now has a volcano looking bump where I sucked fabric. Nothing like driving blind to wake you up.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Way back when, in high school, I was spot lighting jacks with a friend until about 4am. He dropped me off at my truck and as he drove off in the darkness, I jumped in behind the "wheel". The only problem was, there was no "wheel" remaining in my truck. Some turd-in-a-punch-bowl had stolen my damn steering wheel.
This all happened way way way before cell phones so I had to walk to a town, knock on a few doors, borrow a phone and called my mommy to bring my tools. I made it home with vice-grips! Scary but it worked.

I have a couple more stories but this one is tame enough to actually tell on MM.

Zeke

Once, while spotlighting, we came across a broken down jeep with the top off and full of guns. It was obvious that they had broken down and had walked to town for help. We left everything as we found it except for a couple beers from the cooler that might have "accidentally" found their way into my truck. Thanks you! and YOU"RE WELCOME.

(NOT A STEERING WHEEL STORY, SORRY)
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON May-04-16 AT 02:51PM (MST)[p] I miss spotlighting jacks!
(I took a little memory trip, or two, for a minute)
Zeke

Another "not a steering wheel story"

I had a 1978 Jeep pickup about 1980 or so. I was up hunting deer and stayed until dark one day. I had about a 75 mile drive home. I pulled out onto the main 2 lane highway and almost immediately met a car coming the other direction. I hit the low beam switch.....and my headlights went dark. No dash lights, no parking lights, nothing. Hit high beams and back on like nothing happened. I pulled over but never figured out how to fix it. So I drove home going into dark mode every time I met a car. I got to where I memorized the road ahead before going dark and then back on asap. :)

I bet the people coming at me said WTF???? :D

>LAST EDITED ON May-04-16
>AT 02:51?PM (MST)

>
> I miss spotlighting jacks!
>(I took a little memory trip,
>or two, for a minute)
>
>Zeke

Zeke! You mean to tell me you shot jacks out of the truck using a spotlight?? You poacher!

I miss spotlighting jacks too. That's one of the first things I ever hunted!

>A removable steering wheel makes for
>a great anti theft device.
>

Also makes it better so you don't get your foot caught in the steering wheel and honk the horn parked out front of the girl friends house.

A tilt wheel saves a girls hair-do during "road head sessions" too.

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel on his pants, a peg leg and a parrot on his shoulder. The bartender says, "Hey, you've got a steering wheel on your pants."

The pirate says, "Arrrr, I know. It's driving me nuts."

^^ +1 lol

When that wheel came off in my hands it was like a compound fracture with only a bit of skin holding the broken pieces together.

It took several hrs to get the 15 miles i needed back to town. Driving that way, would be similar to taking a closed laptop, setting it down on top of a baseball and steering with that. Sometimes my truck would turn when and where i tried to turn it, sometimes not. I did get better at it the farther off the mountain i got.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Even Pro's do it:

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

>>LAST EDITED ON May-04-16
>>AT 02:51?PM (MST)

>>
>> I miss spotlighting jacks!
>>(I took a little memory trip,
>>or two, for a minute)
>>
>>Zeke
>
>
>Zeke! You mean to tell me
>you shot jacks out of
>the truck using a spotlight??
>You poacher!
>
>I miss spotlighting jacks too. That's
>one of the first things
>I ever hunted!

I've only done it a few thousand times! I wore out a S&W model 41 from the bed of the truck. We gave up on rifles early on (saved the rifles for running jacks in the daylight) because of the ease and went exclusively with handguns or bows. I think it was mostly legal back in the day but I'll deny it all as puffing if I need to.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON May-05-16 AT 11:05AM (MST)[p]I was stationed aboard China Lake and drove a 55 Power Wagon I had fixed up a bit. I even had a NOS steering wheel.

Anyway, I was headed out to a remote part of the base when the old steering wheel gave way. It broke off at the hub (no power steering ).

Couldn't turn the hub by hand so I rummaged around in the tool box and use my Stillson on the wheel nut. Worked pretty good and I had lots of leverage.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom