sticky bolt

S

stpeterhunter53

after i shoot my bolt is hard to open i am shooting reloads at max grs. it didn't do it before just started after i clean the bore any help thank you

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-13 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]What HuntinFool said! That is one of the first signs that you are past max for that particular rifle, regardless of what the manual says for their tests!

I had the same problem, after one shot there was enough fouling to increase the pressure to stick the bolt. I backed off two grains and never had another problem.

Not to sound like an ass but you should read a reloading book or two..If you are gonna get near max loads you needs to know how and what to look for max pressure signs...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

That could have been said more tactfully. It is a good idea to start at minimum loads and work your way up. I believe all reloading manuals are adamant about this. You never know if you have a tight chamber in your gun or are using brass with less space capacity or a number of things that can increase your pressure.

A sticky bolt is a sure sign of excessive pressure. The good news is you found out before causing any damage to yourself or your rifle.

thank you i did work my way up but i shoot them maybe 10 or 15 times then after cleaning the gun thats when it stsrted but its all good now i went to 4831sc and its ok

Sorry I hurt you're delicate sensibilities, I was just trying to pass some info along to keep you from eating your bolt cause you were over pressured...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Could have been you didn't have the sticky bolt while shooting at cooler temps and now the temps are on the rise then so is the pressure.

I too would back off and see if you can maintain accuracy at a tamer load.

What bullets are/were you shooting? Moly coated? I've heard of pressure spikes happening after cleaning the bore... The moly acts as a lubricant in the barrel which keeps pressures down, but once removed (cleaned), the lubricant is gone and pressures jump way up.

Heat will make your rounds shoot hotter, Back off 3-4 grains and see how they shoot. With that being said if you are hunting this load this late fall(colder temps)You might try to put your rounds in a cooler so they are cooler with icepack and try shooting them and see if they still make the bolt stick.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Sorry I hurt you're delicate sensibilities,
>I was just trying to
>pass some info along to
>keep you from eating your
>bolt cause you were over
>pressured...
>
>
horsepoop.gif

>
>Disclaimer:
>The poster does not take any
>responsibility for any hurt or
>bad feelings. Reading threads poses
>inherent risks. The poster would
>like to remind readers to
>make sure they have a
>functional sense of humor before
>they visit any discussion board.
>

If you were an ass you would of told Jack O'Conner here to up his load by ten grains. Then he could of made a post about his bolt and two inscisors sticking in his throat. Next time don't be so insensative and shed light on the obvious red flags.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>you do sound like a ass
>

its not his fault that you don't know basic information about reloading. there's more to it than bullets, primers and powder. crack a book sometime.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom