Sticky Breech plug

H

Henry

Does anybody have a trick that will keep my breech plug from sticking so badly?
I have tried a couple of different brands of grease, and have found that the Knight grease seems to work the best.
Even with the grease, today after about 15 rounds, I had to hit my breech plug wrench with a hammer to loosen the plug. That was also after I got some teflon oil to the threads and let it soak in a few minutes.
Would it help to pull and re-grease the plug about every 10 shot at the range? Or is there something else I should try? I can't be the only one who has had this problem. Ideas please.

Been there man! What kind of gun do you shoot? I don't have any super ideas but one thing I have found that works better is to pull the breach plug immediately after shooting. (while it's still warm.) I have tried all the greases also and it still takes an act of God to get that thing out when it gets cold. I'm looking for answers too.

I have noticed that my breach plug sticks more when I use some kind of a wrench to tighten it down a little. The breach is a lot easier to remove if I will only fingure tighten it. I also make sure that I at lease unthread and re-thread the breach plug while I am at the range.

400bull

Thanks guys, I think I've found my helpful tips.
I will try to loosen it while still warm and only finger tighten.
Good ideas,thanks again.

One important fact a lot of people miss is to put some grease on the face of the plug at the seating area, in addition to just on the outer threads. That will help a lot, and also tends to seal the gap a little better to keep soot out of the rest of the threads.

ALL YOU GUYS: Here is the secret. Make sure the breech plug threads are really clean. Buy a good quality shotgun choke lube or some automotive anti-seize compound. Put some on the threads and screw the breech plug in. At the very instant that you feel it seat against the breech STOP. DON'T TIGHTEN IT. It should be just tight enough to where it takes hardly no pressure on the breech plug wrench to get it out. It will automatically tighten when you load the powder and shoot. It will then be easy to take out after you are finished shooting.

If you use grease the heat from the explosion will make the grease congeal and make it hard to get the plug out, as you guys have found.

bluelk, any chance that the breach plug would ever back its way out or loosen up if it is barely tightened? What you are saying sounds good, but I want to be safe too. I know this is going to sound dumb, but are shog gun lubes and the automotive anti-seize compounds liquid sprays?

muzzle: This is exactly the way I have been inserting breech plugs ever since I first got an inline when I was helping to field test them, and I have never had a problem. I would hate to guess how many thousands of shots I have fired out of my rifles doing just exactly this. In fact, my experience is that the breech plug tightens up as you shoot it because of the fouling that naturally occurs. Inline manufacturers used to make a big deal out this being the way to tighten and lube a breech plug, but have quit doing it recently.

Do you honestly think that I would recommend something that had even the remotest chance of being dangerous? Shame on you! Another thing, you and everybody else who is a regular on this forum know that I never recommend anything unless I have personally done it, or used it. But, thanks for asking anyway.

The shotgun choke lube comes in a tube like toothpaste, and the automotive anti-seize compound comes in a pint can.

bluelk, forgive me! Of course I know you would never recommend anything dangerous to another fella. I do have a few other questions if you don't mind. What form does the Triflow come in? Is the shotgun lube better than the knight breach plug grease? And Finaly, I have heard different reports as to how far a chronograph should be placed when shooting muzzle loaders. How far do you recommend if I want to know my approx. muzzle velocity?

P.S. Thanks for all the good advice, you have helped all of us be better shooters and hunters.

Muzzle

muzzle: No offense, I was just trying to give you a hard time! I have the Tri-flow in a regular squeeze can and also in a spray. In my personal opinion the Birchwood Casey Shotgun Choke Lube, and automotive anti-seize are both superior to Knight's grease.

I think the placement of the chrony depends on the unit itself. Some of them have cardboard traps that sit on top of the sending unit, and others have plastic traps. I sit mine, which has plastic traps, about 2 feet in front of the muzzle, but it might be advisable to sit one with cardboard traps out just a little further. The only difference in how far you sit the traps in front of the muzzle is how far from the muzzle the unit is registering the velocity. There is really no science to it for us nonprofessional shooters. Just don't sit it close enough to the muzzle that you distort the traps when you shoot, or set 'em on fire!

Just put the Final touch on MY "Smokepole" for the Up-Coming Nv. Muz. hunt,that opens this Saturday,Sept. 7th.Have been working up a load with the "New" Triple 7 powder,and like everyone else have had TROUBLE with removel of Breech Plug.Thanks to the Suggestions,this morning after Final round was fired,I loosened the Breech Plug "Immediately",To my surprise,it came out with NO EFFORT at all,Not like last week when I had to put it in my vice at home to remove it.

Auto Anti-seize lube,finger tighten Brech Plug,and remove after "FINAL SHOT",works for ME,THANKS---

AZBIGGAME:

Sounds like you got your muzzleloader tuned up and ready to go.

Got back from 115 yesterday evening. Sunday morning saw almost 50 deer and 10 bucks all up high. Hope I can find them in November.

Good luck on your muzzleloader hunt next week. Hope you get the big boy. Shoot straight!

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom