Still Dreaming (36c in a week)

T

TwoPointDN

One more week tell I leave and can't wait. Got a lot of info to go on for this hunt, but it is hard to say were to srart. I think I will give DA a call to try to get my head on strait. If any of you want to get me turning in circles throw some more info at me that will give me some hope. Got my maps out and that is a lot of country to try to look over. Is the rut started in that area yet. It has come and gone here. Bura it may be my lucky year I told you about my P&Y antilope I got in Wyoming this year. Well I scored a P&Y Mulie last week. So now if I can get a coues that will look good mounted, it would be the best year ever. I will be getting into Arizona on the 26th and hopefully hunting that night, but it only gives me five days to get my deer. If someone will tie one to a tree down there I will give you a hundred dollars. J/K HELP Thanks

TwoPointDN: I really hope you kill a good one. I havent been down there since mid Nov, so I dont know about the rut. You should be in good shape based on the time you are going. We did see one 105ish buck and a 95 buck taken during the Nov hunt. I also didnt hurt the herd at all....LOL.....so there are deer left for you.........I leave for Mexico the 27th, so I wont be able to be your camp cook, but your Dad will do just fine. Hope all goes well.......... Allen Taylor......

Good luck on the hunt. You drew a great area. Have you purchased a lion tag? Hope Santa leaves a nice buck under the tree to complete what sounds like a great year so far.
Doug

Hi,
I spent a little time in the unit over the last few weeks, I was in unit 33 yesteday and seen a bunch of does and one smallish buck. So I don't think he rut has gotten into gear yet. Although there is hope, It has been freezing at night for the past three days.
I have seen quite a few deer in 36c this year too. I saw a buck in Brown Canyon that had an inside spread wider than his ears, and had at least 3 points to each side. I was lookin at him through by binoculars at close to a mile away. Also I am not adept at placing a score on a set of horns at a glance. I do know that big bucks look big, and this ol' boy looked big.
I seen a lot of does on the first hills coming off of the desert floor. There are a lot of killer ocotillo forests on these hills.
I saw a lot of deer on the Elkhorn Ranch. I never did walk in past the compound I stayed south and west of the settlement. They run a lot of horses and there are a lot of good trails.
Randy Weaver has stated that the rut willpeak around the 6th or 7th. So if you had to pick five or six days to hunt, it looks like you picked the best five or six.
I also scouted in Thomas Canyon. I did't see very many deer but that day I got a late start. I did see a couple of does low. There is some absolutly stunnig country in behind all of the ranches. A majority of the ranches will let you have foot access to the hills. Most vehicular access is restricted to the good stuff. That is a plus if you don't mind walking a little.
Just an afterthought. I saw a coati yesterday. They look pretty cool, you are allowed to shoot one a year. They are in the unit you will be hunting. They are about the size of a badger. Hope your hunt goes well.
Dean

I was always told that shooting Coatis is bad luck. I was in 33 on Tuesday during the storm. We saw a big Coati, they always amaze me when I see them, like little racoon monkeys. We saw no deer but we didn't wait the storm out till it cleared, just glassed for an hour or 2 and left. A few buddies with tags have two 100 plus gross (barely) deer on video in 36B. They are holding out for bigger. I guess they started seeing bigger deer chasing does in the last 2 days.. Maybe I will help them Monday/Tuesday if they didnt tag.
Bret M.

Thanks for the info. A few more ? you said that it has been freezing the last few days. What has the over night lows and day time highs been down there. I just want to be prepared. People up here that has been down that way this time of year say it is nice. What are your takes on this. Christmas shoping is done and guns are sighted in, packing bags is nexted. One more ? I will be starting around Thomas Can what is the closest service station to there so that we can watch our gas gauge. Thanks If you do not have a scaner or digital camera what is a good way to get picture post for you guys to see. I have got two mulies and a antilope and hopfully a coues on the way. Any word on DA's book.

There is a gas station right at the junction of 86 & 286 Robles Junction about 45 minutes from Elkhorn turn off. Up here in Mesa its been 60 during the day and frosty in the morning, so down there it should be a couple degrees cooler. I would bring rain gear just in case. Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom