Still searching for the right bear

borntohunt

Hey guys, as many of you know my wife has one of the Wasatch West Fall Bear Tags. We have been out nearly every day since the hunt started. We have been sitting on an old water hole that the bears have been frequenting all summer. We had a real big boar patterned, but of course he has not shown up since the hunt started. He is Reddish brown in color. We have had quite a few small bears come in, some very small. This colder weather is really giving us fits. We sat the canyon every day this week but one, and you guessed it a big boar finally came in. He looks like the one from this summer, but if it is the same bear his reddish coat is now starting to go darker. Any way this summer a lot of guys offered help with their dogs, I think it might be coming to that. My wife is pregnant so the November hunt is out of the question. She also has an antelope tag for later this month so, I am feeling the pressure to fill this bear tag. Anyone with any suggestions, advice or willingness to help let me know.

borntohunt

So how are you hunting, spot n stalk? Does she have an any weapon tag? I was out cutting for lion tracks yesterday with my hounds and noticed how the Oak was loaded with acorns not to mention there were plenty of berries around. If that bear has moved on you then it is possible that he has followed the food source to greener pastures. As for the color change, that is sure possible as they tend to lighten up in the early summer months and then the color gets richer again toward fall.

It's too bad you didn't post this message before the weekend, as my wife has been out of town for nearly ten days and I could have probably came and helped you a couple days. However, she is on the road home today and tomorrow and I'm gonna stay close to the house. I also promised a buddy who has a bear tag that we'd go hunt next weekend, then I have a once-in-a-lifetime elk tag after that. I will say don't hold off until November cause bears get pretty hard to find in the northern parts of the state.

Good luck,
ike

Yes she has an any weapon tag, and I guess you could call it spot and stock. We are set up on a ridge overlooking the water. If a bear hits the water she has a 190 yard shot from our vantage spot. We can however see plenty of other country to stalk a bear if one is spotted. We have really been wanting to get this one bear that we have scouted all summer, that is the reason for the wait on posting this message. I understand that you are busy, and I wish you the best of luck on that elk hunt, get a monster. Just want to see if there is someone that might be able to help if this water hole does not work out. Thanks again guys for all your help and advice through out the summer.

borntohunt

by the way I meant spot and stalk, not spot and stock. I guess spot and stock is fitting, considering the number of cattle still in the mountains this year.

borntohunt

Well, I've never tried to hunt a bear over a water hole and therefore can't offer any really good advice. I do know, however, that the mass and berry crop is widespread and water is not limited to one particular place. I've also noticed that some of those bears wonder over a lot of territory and may or may not be back except from time to time.

I've watched and talked to alot of bowhunters that sit bait and hear a lot of stories about their varying success. One friend this past spring had gone into his stand over bait around 4:00 PM on the last Saturday of the season, and sat there until dark at which time he downloaded his trail cam photos. He claimed that damn boar had come in around 3:00 PM and had beaten him to the bait, so he sat all day Sunday (from daylight til dark) hoping to harpoon him on the closing day......no luck.

And the stories go on and I can tell them all day long about bowhunters over bait, and that's when bears have a really good reason to come in. Personally, I don't believe a hunter can get in a tree stand without a bear knowing he's there. I also figure the bears that get shot that way just don't care about the hunter and are use to getting their way........

Good luck and post up when you kill.

ike

BorntoHunt,

I think we talked back in the spring about this but I can't remember our conversation exactly. I would be happy to come help you guys out, but my partner guides out of state and will be taking my dogs with him for a couple of months this next week.

Plus we have a big bull Wasatch tag that starts this weekend. But I can probably hook you up with some hound guys if you'd like help.

Shoot me an email if you are interested: [email protected]

But I wouldn't wait too long because you are down to a couple of weekends and then it will basically be over. They give you the month of November but at that point it's pretty tough to find one.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you need help. I can give you the names of a couple of local guys!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom