Stirrin' the pot

zekers

Very Active Member
I want to hear your opinion on something I saw this last week. I watched a guide take a "hero" shot with a wide angle lens and about 2 feet away from the hunter and deer. With the wide angle lens, he was able to make a 25" wide, 160 buck look like a 32", 185. I didn't even know this technology existed. I guess its equivalent to looking through a fishbowl, stretching the image. I know people have been holding racks out in front of them forever, but this go's to a new level. Do any of you do this, and I'm just slow to learn? Is this common practice among all the big guys? I will not say who this is or the outfitter, I'm just curious on what you think.
It's been sitting in my craw for a few days now, and I think it's fraud. This same guy is going to try to book hunts off of these stretched images. Shady advertising has been going on forever, but this, IMO, is wrong.
I didn't know if the Campfire was the best place for this, but I don't like going anwhere else.

Not me. I try to make my trophies look small as possible.

Elkoholic.gif

This ain't New News!

There's been alot of 180"+ Pics posted on here!:D

If in Doubt,have CUPSY officially score them,he's got a way of really makin people mad!:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I know that STTM, but D13er rarely busts anyone on scores. Spelling...now that's another story!

I know exactly what you are saying. It truely does seem like false advertisement. However, if i owned a buisness I would do my best to make my advertising dollars count as much as possible. If this means that I take some "hero" shots, then so be it. I would not ever tell people that a 25 inch 160 buck was a 32 inch 185 buck though. I would never mis-state the facts in my advertisement.

I tried this line of thought in a thread a couple-few years ago and most seemed in favor of letting the picture posters continue to try an deceive. What's even worse is when, once you see this inflated view attempt, the poster then wants us to come up with a score.

So, i don't care anymore, it is what it is, might not be a bad way for you to go too.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I agree Sage, let it go. I've never cared about people going the extra mile to make their animal look bigger than it is, I've been doing it for years.
Model700, this is photo-shopping, using a camera lens to distort the image. I'm pretty sure they haven't been doing it for years, as I think it's new technology. IDK, maybe I'm wrong, and it's just the first time I've seen it implemented in the field. Maybe Eel and Roy have been using a wide angle lens for years to take pics of their turtles! BTW, I'm 38, don't know if that's young to you.

Yes Zekers, this tech is new only in the electronic portion.

Find a mid sixties Playboy masgazine and see what can be done, mechanically, with "bent" focal planes, etc.....It ain't new.

That said, if someone wants to "cheat", you cannot stop them.

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

Well Nickman, they needed "bent" focal planes in the mid sixties to hide all that hair that is absent in today's Playboys!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom