Stone ram--the adventure of a lifetime.

mozey

Long Time Member
I'm pretty busy right now, but I eventually hope to post all the details of this hunt in the 2022 Hunt Adventures Forum.

In the meantime, here are a few pics of my recent stone sheep hunt in British Columbia.

IMG_7116.JPG

KIMG1616.JPG

KIMG1630.JPG

KIMG1658.JPG

IMG_7285.jpg

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7318.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

Aged at nine and a half years; 37" long with 14" bases. Was running with a group of nine rams where he was obviously the dominant ram. There were also two other legal rams in the same group.

Shot him at first light on the 7th day of a 12 day backpack hunt. Had watched this same group for almost the entire 6th day.

Last edited:
I gotta imagine the divide hike kept you in pretty decent shape for this adventure. Congrats on a fine sheep!

I gotta imagine the divide hike kept you in pretty decent shape for this adventure. Congrats on a fine sheep!
Absolutely--I'm actually flying back to Montana today to resume my hike. Still have about a 1,000 miles to go.

But I don't believe I would have been physically capable of this hunt if I was in the same shape that I was in before starting the CDT. I did pull it off, but knowing what I know now I would have practiced more with an 80-pound pack. My CDT pack at most only weighs about 35 pounds.

For anyone ithat doesn't already know, I'm currently hiking the CDT from Mexico to Canada, but took almost a month off the trail for this hunt. My CDT adventure is being documented in the NM forum.

Awesome stuff and looks like some amazing country!!! Which outfitter were you hunting with?

I hunted some similar country last year near Kinaskan Lake. Beautiful looking ram. I look forward to the story at some point!

Awesome stuff and looks like some amazing country!!! Which outfitter were you hunting with?

I hunted some similar country last year near Kinaskan Lake. Beautiful looking ram. I look forward to the story at some point!
Good eye. My outfitter was BC Wild Country located just south of Kinaskan Lake.

Did you go with Kinaskan Lake outfitters?

I'm pretty busy right now, but I eventually hope to post all the details of this hunt in the 2022 Hunt Adventures Forum.

In the meantime, here are a few pics of my recent stone sheep hunt in British Columbia.

View attachment 85635

View attachment 85636

View attachment 85638

View attachment 85639

View attachment 85641

View attachment 85642

View attachment 85643

View attachment 85644
Aged at nine and a half years; 37" long with 14" bases. Was running with a group of nine rams where he was obviously the dominant ram. There were also two other legal rams in the same group.

Shot him at first light on the 7th day of a 12 day backpack hunt. Had watched this same group for almost the entire 6th day.
Congratulations!

Stone Sheep hunts are truly a dream, especially when they end so well. I hunted 14 days on my first Stone hunt without ever seeing a legal ram but it was still an adventure.
Congratulations mozey. He's a dandy!

Last edited:
I am jealous ! What a beautiful ram !! That is the one hunt I never took that I really wanted to go on. To me all other animals are pale in comparison.

Awesome job, great adventure. Love the color of the cape and his flare. Definitely my top North American bucket list animal. Will probably never happen. So I really enjoy reading about these trips and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely--I'm actually flying back to Montana today to resume my hike. Still have about a 1,000 miles to go.

But I don't believe I would have been physically capable of this hunt if I was in the same shape that I was in before starting the CDT. I did pull it off, but knowing what I know now I would have practiced more with an 80-pound pack. My CDT pack at most only weighs about 35 pounds.

For anyone ithat doesn't already know, I'm currently hiking the CDT from Mexico to Canada, but took almost a month off the trail for this hunt. My CDT adventure is being documented in the NM forum.

View attachment 85635

View attachment 85636

View attachment 85638

View attachment 85639

View attachment 85641

View attachment 85642

View attachment 85643

View attachment 85644

Wow ! Super job well done and beautiful
Ram ! Congratulations ??? ! I’m 75 & doubt I could do that anymore- bum knees. To all
you young dudes, if you’ve got a dream ?, do it now before age & physical abilities limit your options. YOLO- make it count to the MAX !
Jerry Gold in Windsor, Colorado
You can always make more $$$ !

What a fabulous adventure! Huge congratulations on taking a fine ram. They are truly one of God's gifts to man.

Too bad I only got to chase them once but it ended well, after 7-8 days, also.

Any sheep hunt is a blessing but there's something special about hunting Stone sheep.

Zeke

What a fabulous adventure! Huge congratulations on taking a fine ram. They are truly one of God's gifts to man.

Too bad I only got to chase them once but it ended well, after 7-8 days, also.

Any sheep hunt is a blessing but there's something special about hunting Stone sheep.

Zeke
I remember seeing a pic of you and your stone. I was like, that's who I want to be when I grow up... :)

Beautiful ram and pictures. Looks like you are going to marking off two dream items on your bucket list. Finishing the CDT will be a great accomplishment also.

Congratulations! Amazing ram so glad you were successful. Look forward to talking to you about your hunt, I’m sorry I haven’t been able to call you I have been super busy since my hunt and now see your back to the trail will talk after your done with that.

I finished the Continental Divide Trail last week, so I finally had the time to post the details of this hunt in the 2022 Hunt Adventures. Hope you like it.

Wow, what a great adventure with a terrific once in a lifetime trophy to go with it. The story is the best write up I’ve read on this site. And I have really enjoyed your CDT stories. Congratulations!

Just read your write up in the HAC. That was an incredible read! Enjoyed every minute of it! Congrats on an excellent ram and adventure!

You have had an epic year - CDT trail and this amazing adventure!! Congrats on making some amazing memories and thanks for taking us all along with you - much appreciated!

Outstanding mozey.
I had to go on two Stone hunts before I was successful, but your HAC story helped me relive the amazing days I was able to spend in BC. Incredible.
Congratulations on an dandy ram and an even better adventure.

Outstanding mozey.
I had to go on two Stone hunts before I was successful, but your HAC story helped me relive the amazing days I was able to spend in BC. Incredible.
Congratulations on an dandy ram and an even better adventure.
I remember when you got your stone because I was hunting moose where I think was just a little south of you at the time, and I was thinking to myself, littlebighorn is probably hunting stones just on the next range up there. Don't know if you were actually there or not, but that's what I was thinking and hoping you'd be successful. Your success was part of what inspired me to also try for the slam. So thank you.

I remember when you got your stone because I was hunting moose where I think was just a little south of you at the time, and I was thinking to myself, littlebighorn is probably hunting stones just on the next range up there. Don't know if you were actually there or not, but that's what I was thinking and hoping you'd be successful. Your success was part of what inspired me to also try for the slam. So thank you.
Sheep dreams are expensive and I'm glad you are thanking me, instead of cursing my name.
In my mind, the memories from those adventures are priceless and few people on the planet are fortunate or bold enough to actually experience them. Your story confirms you got your money's worth, regardless of what it cost.
Way to bite the bullet and make it happen mozey!

Stone sheep are pretty special because each one has unique features and few look alike. Their color variations combined with varying horn configurations make each one an individual.
Nicely done Mozey. I hope you at least get free freeze dried for being "the face" of Wild Country!

Last edited:
The taxidermist called me to see if I was ok with the slight head roll of the form he was able to get. He said he could level it if I preferred, but that he liked the way it looks with the roll. As soon as I saw it, I agreed--looks more natural that way to me too. If I'm so fortunate enough to harvest another ram, I'll probably request it that way on purpose.

Yeah, my desert has faded a little in the five years that I've had him there, even though I never open that blind.
For sure it's a catch 22. I put my sheep in my basement, but few people, besides me and family, get to enjoy looking at them.
Regardless they are rare gems that few hunters have.
Well done mozey.

Beautiful Stone sheep mount!
Thanks for reporting back after the mount was done.

Zeke

Mozey that’s a beautiful ram! Wish I was at the sheep show so I could check it out. As I was looking through your post I was like man that guy looks familiar, then you mentioned hiking the CDT and I remember we sat at the same table at sheep camp in SLC last year. Enjoyed chatting with you and hearing about your desert and stone sheep hunts. Hope all is well! Maybe I’ll see you in SLC again this year. Small world.

-Clint

Mozey that’s a beautiful ram! Wish I was at the sheep show so I could check it out. As I was looking through your post I was like man that guy looks familiar, then you mentioned hiking the CDT and I remember we sat at the same table at sheep camp in SLC last year. Enjoyed chatting with you and hearing about your desert and stone sheep hunts. Hope all is well! Maybe I’ll see you in SLC again this year. Small world.

-Clint
I plan to be in SLC this year too, foolishly spending my hard-earned retirement on a miniscule chance for a rocky hunt. Oh well, we only live once.

Please say hi if you see me. Otherwise good luck to you and your family.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom