Stone sheep hunt

1manshow

Stone sheep hunt

Hey Guys.. Iam looking into booking a Stone sheep hunt and would like to hear what outfitters you guys used and alittle about your experiance.... I got to do a lot of home work before I drop this kind of cash on a hunt so hopefully the guys out there that have hunted stones recently can help me out finding a trust worthy outfitter.... Thanks 1manshow

RE: Stone sheep hunt

A friend killed a great sheep with Darwin Cary and Scoop Lake Outfitters last year. Art Thompson and Gundahoo River have a great reputation. My good friend killed his stone with Bart Lancaster and Kawdy Outfitters.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-12 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]I agree with RV post. Stone Mountain Safaris hands down.

Stone Mtn. Safaris is certainly in the top tier of the Stone Sheep outfitters in B.C., along with Folding and Terminus Mountain Outfitters, Gundahoo River, Bradford and Co.......

In light of what you are/will be paying, I would require any outfitter to commit in writing that you can stay until you kill, assuming you don't wound a ram, are holding out for a book sheep, etc. The Bradford's implemented this policy quite a few years ago and in talking to other outfitters, most are willing to let you stay until you have an opportunity to harvest a mature ram.

Other things to consider: number of hunting days included in the contract, resident hunting pressure or lack thereof, does the outfitter handle their own flying or is it contracted out, etc.,.....

Of the above mentioned list, Bradford's may not have quite as heavy of sheep but they have good densities and you are going to get an opportunity. Their top end just isn't quite as good. Another good outfitter that doesn't get as much attention is Northwest Ranching and Outfitting which is operated by Heidi Gutfrucht. She has as good of sheep as anyone but runs a smaller operation. The 42" ram that was featured in last months issue of the hunting fool was taken in Heidi's area.

Hope this helps. TJ

I hunted with Stone Mtn Safari and my brother hunted with Miles Bradford.
We both had fantastic hunts!

Most sheep outfitters will not make any committment to let you stay until you kill. Bradford has a guarantee but Stone Mtn Safaris does not.

My hunt was 21 days, if needed, because I took a later season hunt. I felt confident that in that amount of time I'd either get one or die trying.

While there are other great outfitters these are the ones with whom I have a little experience.

Good luck,
Zeke

Zeke,

You are correct in that Bradford is the only outfitter, at least that I know of, that is offering the guarantee. However, I discussed their guarantee with every outfitter that I seriously considered booking with.

I didn't talk to Leif, but the other outfitters listed above all verbally committed to letting me stay until I had an opportunity to harvest.

When I did book, it was written in my contract. We agreed that if I missed, passed a mature ram or wounded a ram then it would be a different situation.

There are obviously outfitters that cannot make that type of commitment, due to logistical limitations, available guides, etc., but at least for me, it was a big factor in my final decision.

TJ

+1 tj
I totally agree that it would be a huge tipping point for me too. I had a guarantee to hunt for 21 days if needed. That was good enough for me. My bro had the Bradford guarantee.

Before I booked my hunt (pre 2003) none of the outfitters wanted to talk about staying longer or returning if I didn't score in the 10-ish day hunt. A couple outfitters sneared when I brought it up and didn't want to discuss it further. Things change.

This is the biggest reason we went with those outfitters and under those circumstances.

If I recall it's about 50%+/- overall chance of scoring on a 10 day hunt for Stone sheep right now. I know a guy who went 3 times and has never killed a Stone. Stuff happens.

Zeke

If I was considering dropping $35k on a sheep hunt I would do it through one of the tax deductible auctions. If you do the big name SCI stuff they get pricey but some of the smaller chapter auctions can be pretty reasonable.

As an example I bought a Dall hunt for $6k and at the same FNAWS auction a RM ram hunt went for $17k- worth a look. AND you can contact the outfitter prior to auction and do as recommended above

> If I was considering dropping
>$35k on a sheep hunt
>I would do it through
>one of the tax deductible
>auctions. If you do the
>big name SCI stuff they
>get pricey but some of
>the smaller chapter auctions can
>be pretty reasonable.
>
>As an example I bought a
>Dall hunt for $6k and
>at the same FNAWS auction
>a RM ram hunt went
>for $17k- worth a look.
>AND you can contact the
>outfitter prior to auction and
>do as recommended above

Thanks!! Thats a great idea i will for sure look into that..1Manshow

Thanks for the info Zeke. One question for you Really 50% chance on harvesting a Stone?? That seems low... manshow

Thanks for that advice. The two outfitters i have talked with so far are Terminus Mountain Outfitters, Indian River ranch recommended by the guys at Christensen arms. Has anyone heard or hunted with Indian Rivers Ranch?? Again thanks to everyone for taking the time to post as this will help alot on my final decision..1Manshow

Yes, the typical Stone's hunt success is only 50 to 75% (going with only the better outfitters may hedge your bet a little).

Kind of scary to think about when plunking down that insane amount of money to chase these animals!

You have to be a bit careful about what questions to ask the outfitters. They have a quota for sheep harvest BUT they can actually hunt more hunters than the sheep number on harvest quota. Some will tell you they're 100% but that might be 100% quota filled and not 100% for all sheep hunters. Clear as mud?

Check the % success for yourself, I don't know it all. It might be higher... by a little but it's far from the 80-90% that it used to be.

I could be all wet since I've not done any Stone sheep research for about 5-7 years.

Good luck Mr. 1manshow, keep us posted.

Zeke

I hunted with Allen Larsen and IRR in 2010 for stone sheep. I give them my recommendation. I have sent you a PM with my contact info.

My brother hunted Indian River Ranch with its previous owner in 2001 or 2002. He got his ram but it was a tough hunt. I know 2 or 3 other people that hunted with them around the same time period that didn't fill their tags.

Obviously things change over time but I would definitely look into sheep densities throughout the province, within specific outfitter concessions. There is a huge discrepency between the different areas. That information is available through the B.C. fish and wildlife service.

The Bradford's are as close as you are going to get for a sure thing but they are also the most expensive out there. Easier to pay once and get a sheep than come home emply and have to think about going again though. Been there, done that!

An auction is a good idea as well.

You certainly won't go wrong with Dale and Sandra (Terminus)....great people, good sheep numbers, dark, heavy sheep....

TJ

Maybe that's why it's such and emotional accomplishment when you finally down a trophy Stone.

Costs... time.... mediocre success odds.... committments... planning, etc, all add to the high pressure of the hunt.

I was able to compartmentalize my feelings and really enjoy the hunt but when I killed my Stone it was like a cork was popped and all the emotions came flooding out. It was the last piece of the 4 sheep of North America so beleive me when I say I put some pressure on myself.

It was worth it!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-12 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]Zeke,
I would love to know how a normal guy (like most of us that are not wealthy) compartmentalizes the thought of spending 30-40 Gs with the idea that you may still come home empty handed.
I know it should be about the experience, but in the middle of it all there always seems to be that nagging feeling that things might go South at any moment.
You are right about most Sheep hunts having that component. I wish there was away to eliminate those worries, but then it wouldn't be sheep hunting would it?

You're right. A bit of pressure kinda comes with the sheep hunting thing.

When we hunt your desert this year I bet we feel the "feeling" too but the enjoyment will still shine through.

Zeke

> Thanks for that advice. The
>two outfitters i have talked
>with so far are Terminus
>Mountain Outfitters, Indian River ranch
>recommended by the guys at
>Christensen arms. Has anyone
>heard or hunted with Indian
>Rivers Ranch?? Again thanks to
>everyone for taking the time
>to post as this will
>help alot on my final
>decision..1Manshow

1manshow I sent you a PM

Thanks

3QtrSlamRam

One more for Stone Mountain Safaris. I hunted with them in 2010 had a great and time got a great ram on day 3. Saw 2 other legal rams (one was with my ram. I found Leif very good to work with.

290df619.jpg

Here is my sheep from 2010 with Tuchodi River Outfitters in B.C. I would recommend them. They kill big sheep with great color. Mine was the smallest of the 3 that week. Here is the problem with recommendations on expensive hunts, nobody can go on enough of them to do a fair comparison. Now I want to say my guide was the toughest man I could imagine meeting and a great hunter. He was always looking, always hunting. He was perfect. We also had a wrangler for the horses who was also A++ as well. But I'll likely never go on another $35,000 hunt since I won this one in a raffle. I think there is only like 80 nonresident permits in BC. Hard to get advice on these hunts but if you go with one of the premier outfitters you will likely get a sheep. Condoms are 99% effective but if you are that unlucky 1%, you are that unlucky 1% and can't change it! Again, I recommend Tuchodi RIver 100% and I talked with a guy on the plane that had been with Folding Mtn twice so that says alot about them. How about calling the air charters in the area that you will be using and have them give you the lowdown on the locals.

flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Thanks everyone for your inputand information...It looks like we will be booking with Stone Mountain. Havent heard a bad thing about them yet. 1Manshow

The other option is to pick up and move to BC and hunt Stones every year DIY OTC. :)

If your wanting high success and Dark,I mean Dark colored Stones..."Big Nine"...with Barry Tompkins....

The World Record Archery Stone sheep was taken in Barry's Area this past year!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom