Storm on the horizon

T

The_Wraith

Far off clouds obscured the light of the moon, forcing me to use my headlamp to light my way to my spike camp, far above timberline. I'd planned on coming in during the daylight but responsibilites wouldn't wait and now I was very late or very early depending on how one looked at it. It wasn't much, just a little tent perched precariously on the side of a mountain, snuggled on a little bench with a few trees and a stream born of snow melt that was so cold it made your teeth hurt. I'd put it there this past july when I started scouting these alpine ridges for wide racked mule deer that called this high, lonely place home for a few months out of the year.

September in the rockies is a place of extremes, especially this high up, one minute it's summer with temperatures that require short sleeves and sunscreen and the next your in a full on blizzard, hunkered under the closest form of cover that you can scramble to. I've seen the snow pile so deep that it would come to the belly on a tall horse and within a few days all that's left is traces in the shade. It's why I come here, the uncertaintude of mother nature, the quiteness that envelopes all, the continual fight that nature wages against itself.

Often I get asked why? Why do you do it? Why would you go alone to a place that within the blink of an eye and with one misplaced step you would find yourself hurtling at freight train speed to your death and none the wiser. Up here there is no help, there is no corner drug store to get what you may have forgotten and you don't dial 911. My answer is always the same, I tell them to hold their hands out, balled up into fists and I tell them your right hand is point A that's where you're born, your left hand is point B that's where you die, all the space in between is your life and what you do with it is up to you, you can either make something of it or not, the choice is yours.

I digress from the point at hand and that is to get to camp and shuck this backpack and get some sleep. The way to camp is all cross country, no trail to be found and honestly none is wanted. This is my fourth and final trip up here this year and when I leave in ten days all my gear must come out with me till next year. My three previous trips have filled my brain with visions of tall racked mulies, basking in the sun and eating grass till their pot bellies almost scrap the ground when they walk, swaying to and fro as they waddle through the high crags they call home...

Never claimed I was Louis L'amour, but then again he never wrote about hunting. This is the campfire, this is a story, if you don't care for it don't read it, go drink a bud light and turn on your tv. This is the sort of comment I would expect from you, so thanks alot. There's more to come. Oh and shoot me your address and I'll mail you a spoon, one with Minnie Mouse on it.
Dennis

Wraith,

I think I have written my last story on this site. Just isnt that many here that appreciate a story. Most folks are too hung up on vulgar humor, antler envy, or what kind of camo they need to buy. There is only a tiny audience that enjoys reliving an outdoor experience. Leads me to believe that most, not all, are more at home at home than up in the mountains.

Wish I could be more encouraging. I'll read your stories if you write them. Thanks for the effort.

I agree with you Cowboy, not many here will even respond to a story anymore, I just try every now and then to see if someone out there still has pulse and I've come to the conclusion that, except for a certain few, they don't. I also will read your stories if you write them AND I'll respond to it. Thanks alot.
Dennis

Wraith....Cowboy.....you guys bring so much to this site, don't let paul rub ya wrong. I have always enjoyed both of your stories and really look forward to them...but if you do choose to go, drop a line please, I would like to continue reading your stories.

Wraith,

As you make the choice to hunt the high country you know it is not without pitfalls. Thats why you go. Same goes here and I very much appreciate your efforts and your tales.

You too Cowboy.

BeanMan
Fred Judson
Palisade, Colorado

Wraith,

I enjoy the stories you and others write. Folks who can make words come to life amaze me. Don't stop the stories just because there are some who do not appreciate your story, there are plenty of us who do.

Phantom Hunter

Thanks for the stories and please keep them coming. I wish I had the ability to express myself the way you guys can. What I enjoy most about the stories is that they bring the hunt and the mountain to me. I live in S. Texas a long way from anywhere I'd like to be. Those "responsibilities" you talked about keep me here...for now. So until I can migrate out west or up north, I rely on this site to give me 10-minute vacations.

Thanks gentlemen. Please keep the stories coming.

Doug

i always read whatever story some one has to offer. i never say much about them, but i always enjoy. as for mr. paul crawford he can go screw himself with the spoon. wraith go on with the story i'm enjoying it. cowboy read your last story liked it a lot. didn't compliment it but i will now. it was a great story.

keep the stories a'comin

Keep the stories coming! You guys see the pure meaning of what life is all about. You pick out the simple things and put them into words that we should learn from!
My vote is to keep the stories!!!
a*r
A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

For GOD's sake do not stop the storys I live in florida and I was born in NM and these GREAT storys take me back home everytime I read them. As I read the storys you and cowboy place on here for us to enjoy I see a little video in my head of every detail you out into the storys. Paul may have been having a bad day, Who knows. But do not punish us all for ones mistake. We love to read the storys and look foreward to the next one. KEEPEM COMMING GENTS! job well done!!!!!!!!!! Bill

FEAR NOT FOR I AM WITH YOU! Walk soft and carry a 300 RUM,

Paul,
WTH, I have never heard Wraith, Cowboy or Predator or anyone else here claim to be Louis LaMour or anyone else for that matter. I don't frequent this site very much any more, for a variety of reasons. One of the reasons i do come back now and then is for stories like those written and shared by folks like Wraith, Predator and Cowboy..I'm no real expert, but I can tell you that I know ENOUGH to know that these folks have the ability to make me forget about work for awhile with their stories. If I can't be out there, then the next best thing is to read a well written short story.

The Hound Dog forum here on MM used to be a fairly active and enjoyable forum. Many of the reasons (people) I used to frequent here for have now gone somewhere else. Attitudes like yours Paul, are some of the reasons so many great folks have left. If a particular story isn't something that you find enjoyable or entertaining, close the thread and do something else. Why do you feel the need to be so critical of people?

Wraith, Cowboy and Predator: PLEASE do not be dissuaded by the single comment by Mr. Crawford in this thread. For every Paul Crawford here there are many, many fellow sportsmen and sportswomen that look forward to your efforts, and we just don't do a very good job of telling you. We usually just read them and then proceed to have a BETTER day for reading what you have written. THANKS!!! for opening yourself up to criticism by sharing your stories with people that are supposed to share a like interest with you. Look past the minority, and know that the vast majority both enjoy and APPRECIATE your efforts.. Keep It Up, and I will keep coming back now and then.. Paul Crawford, you and those like you can come or go I don't care, but if you are going to stay, please try to make this site better for having you here.. I'm not saying that we should always agree-or that there isn't room for a differing opinion on issues, but just to come out and slam a great story or a person is not constructive.

SO, there's the way one dumb hound guy sees it. Let'er fly with your criticism boyzz. I have been bad-mouthed by a lot better men than you.. I may be dumb enough to have a bunch of hounds in my yard, but I do know enough to enjoy a well written short story now and then. And Lisa, Dwayne and anyone else who will see fit to try their hand at a little story tellin', I'll read it, enjoy it, and then defend you if required... FWIW.......KattSkatt

Fellas, Don't let the little people in the world bring you down...The stories are awesome. I would really miss them if you stop. Any opportunity to escape reality is welcome here....I don't post as much as I use to just because of selfless comments like this one...Don't let one mans opinion ruin it for the rest of us....Keep up the very talented writings....Please.

...Far off, thunder could be heard rumbling through the darkness, adding a bit of apprehension about making it to the tent before it hit. The wind whipped, the grass swayed and just as I reached my camp I felt the first drops of rain hit me and within moments the sky let loose and I dove for cover, dragging my pack and gun behind me. Even though it was well past midnight I wasn't in the least bit tired, as a matter of fact I felt refreshed and I layed there listening to the rain beat down till finally sleep came.

I woke to find it still raining or should I say pouring rain, definately not a day to go out in so I layed there, thinking about tomorrow and where I would be when the sun came up. Nearly all day I was tent bound, confined by mother nature to these four walls that thankfully were not leaking. Finally in the last hours of the day the rain let up and I scrambled to put on rain gear and boots and with steiners in hand I set off to see what was moving. Climbing the steep, wet slopes was definately an experience but upon reaching the crest of the ridge I was blessed with the sight of several mature mulies coming out of a brush pile where they had hid from the rain of the past day. One of them had a rack that took my breath away, tall beams reaching for the sky and with a width that had to be seen to be believed. For a few wonderful minutes I was able to view him, to see how he interacted with the other bucks, to see his water speckled coat gleam in the fading sun, his muscles rippling underneath it. Here was the dream I had come to find and hopefully a dream that would become reality. In the growing darkness I watched as he and his friends made their way over a ridge and out of sight and long after they were gone I sat there and dreamed of him...

Here Here! I can't wait till the other part comes out! Kind of like waiting for the second two movies of Lord Of The Rings! You're very talented, and I'm waiting for the next part!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Thank you. I've been waiting for the next installment. You have a real gift.

Doug

Hey man good stuff,I would rather read these stroies that about sme brokea$$ clown that spent to much on his daughters wedding.

Wraith

I for one appricate your story. For a brief period I can day dream and take me away from the stress of the job. Don't let a egg head get you down. Some of us do appreciate a good story.

Wraith

I for one appreciate a good story. Don't let a egg head get you down. For a brief period in the day your story helped me day dream and get away from the stress of the job. Keep writing some of us do appreciate it.

...From a ridge top I watched as the sun rose, at first just a grey hue in the east, from grey it turned to a pale orange and just before the sun crested a far off ridge with no name it became what can only be described as heavenly, beams of light shot into the sky in vivid red, purple, blue and yellow, each color melting into another until it seemed as if a million different colors were lighting the horizon up, filling my mind with mental pictures that would stay with me till the day that I died. The canyons below were filled with shadows that seemed to creep across the hills as the sun rose across the sky and began it's daily march that ended everyday when it set beyond the horizon to the west, when darkness ensued.

For many hours I sat here staring thorugh my optics hoping to find the buck from the evening before and while I had found several deer loafing in the tall grass none were the one I sought so I left them to their loafing. My mind was at odds with itself, one side telling me to sit tight, the other yelling at me to take a look at what was on the other side of the ridge. I listened to the side of my brain that said that patience was the key and for that I was rewarded with a basin that was devoid of life save for the three small bucks I had seen early in the morning. All day I sat, glued to my Steiners but he wasn't to be found this day.

Dinner tonight consisted of a mix of freeze dried fruit and vegetables and a mre entree consisting of what passed as potatoes au gratin, while nourishing it definately was not home cooking. Even though I layed down early hoping to get a good night's rest I stayed awake far into the night, listening to the sounds of the night. In the distance I heard the lonesome cry of a wolf as it announced the rising of the moon, a bird of the night screached out, warning all the little animals to beware of the dark and what it may bring and the final thing I remember before I drifted off to sleep was the crashing of a boulder as it slid from it's perch and bounded down the mountain, crashing and bashing everything in it's way until the sound was lost in the wind...

Great addition! I've been checking in this forum everyday waiting for it. But Isn't this Wraith's story to continue?

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Whoops. I didn't even realize I was logged in as Hunt4lyf. I use Wraith for stories, Hunt4lyf for everything else.

Ok! I gotcha! Great Story! Looking forward to the sequal!!

...Only two days were left to hunt and while my tag was unfilled the memories I had would keep my mind filled to the brink of over flowing for the rest of my days.

One that I knew that would stick out from the rest involved not a monster buck but two little spikes. Several days before I had been sitting watching a basin that had a high saddle that emptied into a long draw that had a pretty little stream which the deer had been going to for water. For several hours I sat and watched, hoping that the buck I was searching for would get thirsty and come this way for a drink. Just as I was getting up to leave I caught movement but before I could get my glasses on it it was gone in a draw and it seemed headed for the saddle. Slipping to the other side of the ridge I ran for all I was worth just below the top until my passage was blocked by a 20 ft drop off. Wasting precious time trying to find my way down I got caught up in a pile of mountain mahogeny when suddenly I heard the deer coming. Freezing where I was I could see movement just twenty feet ahead but still couldn't make out how big he was. With one foot in the air and one hand wrapped around a branch to help steady me I waited when suddenly out stepped a spike buck at no more than ten feet. He didn't see me until he was only five feet off, he was so close that I could see his eye lashes fluttering and his nostril twitching as he tried to figure out what was blocking his trail. His twin stepped out and nearly knocked him over and when he saw me he froze. The buck in front started to circle me but bolted when I couldn't contain myself and started laughing out loud just cause this was so dang funny to have happen. His eyes about popped out of his head when I did that and he ran his brother over trying to get away from the laughing bush.

Recalling that brought a smile to my face but that dissapeared when I caught movement on the other side of the bowl I was watching, nearly a half mile distant. Focusing my steiners on the movement caused my breath to stutter and my heart to flutter. In the distance was the buck I have only seen in my dreams, tines so long and thick that you think he may be part elk, a chest so full and round that he seems to be part cow and a pot belly that makes you think of your grandpa.

So many things popped into my brain at once that I had to sit back and just breath, clear my thoughts and focus. First was to wait for him to lie down in his bed, an hour and a half later I had him pinpointed at the base of a huge boulder. OK now how am I going to get within range? A ravine ran in his direction and should get me within 300 yards but the problem was that the ravine was 400 yards from me, with him looking in my direction. Well I guess slow is the key here so with the utmost care and two hours of crawling on my belly and my finger tips I was in the ravine and closing the distance fast. Another twenty minutes and I was ready to strike and as I slowly slid my rifle over the lip of the draw and settled the crosshairs on his chest the past few days flashed through my brain and then were gone with the report of the 308.

As I walked the last few yards to my fallen brethren I felt a mix of emotions swell inside of me, sorrow, gratitude and the unwavering feeling of happiness swirled inside and as I layed my hand on his head for the first time I bowed my head and said a silent prayer for him and all the wild things, thanking the lord for the time spent in this cathedral called the rockies and then a sound came to me, the far off rumble of thunder and looking far out to the west I could see another storm on the horizon.

Wraith

DOES ANBODY KNOW IF PAUL CRAWFORD ATE PAINTCHIPS AND LIVED UNDER POWERLINES AS A KID?

Good story Wraith...like I've said before...a good story is even better then pics.

CPSANDMAN
"The Buck stops here...I hope!"

Great Story! That was awesome!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom