Straight vs angled spotter

I still don't understand this question. An angled spotter does everything better always, but you have to learn to find the spot you glassed with bino's which takes some time to sort.

Anyone who stands with a straight spotter is destined to be miserable most of the time. Shaky image and video not to mention it's tiring to stand there all day.

Most people are too lazy to hike to the top of a mtn, so looking down hill is not a reason to have straight scope for the 5 minutes in a mans life they will be angled so steeply downhill that a straight spotter is benificial :)

Sit down with a tiny 35 oz tripod and everything is perfect not to mention all the angles you can get with an angled scope on a window mount in your truck !!!

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

Straight are best for finding the object quickly after seeing it in your bino's. Straight is also much better if you are using a window mount in a vehicle. Angled are much nicer for phone scope applications when taking pictures or videos. I personally have the straight because of the amount of use in my vehicle but I have the huge objective lens and normally don't carry a spotter in the field with me while hunting. If I did carry a spotter in the field, I would go to the smaller 65 mm or smaller and use an angled probably.

Straight are best for finding the object quickly after seeing it in your bino's. Straight is also much better if you are using a window mount in a vehicle. Angled are much nicer for phone scope applications when taking pictures or videos. I personally have the straight because of the amount of use in my vehicle but I have the huge objective lens and normally don't carry a spotter in the field with me while hunting. If I did carry a spotter in the field, I would go to the smaller 65 mm or smaller and use an angled probably.
If you’re going to carry a spotter take a big one. Smaller spotters are pointless. I can find stuff just as fast with an angled as a straight and I don’t have to pee sitting down.

If you struggle to find stuff in an angled spotter, you’re not using it enough. I’m all for guys using what they like best, but I can’t comprehend someone preferring a straight spotter that uses one much.

They both have their place.. I prefer angled on a tripod for long distance field glassing and straight for my truck

My angled scope has a rotating body which makes it far more useful on a window than a straight. I can almost look straight ahead or behind my truck with the angle. Try that with a straight. Of course the user has to figure out how to use it which only takes minutes!

I'm kind of a jerk to people I hunt with that use a straight. It's comical to watch them kink their neck or stand all the time. Moving it out of the way when they switch back to their binos.
Angled eliminates all of that.

Joe Biden uses a straight spotter.
Yea, but running around the Whitehouse in nothing but a **** stained pair of boxers and one sock while trying us his X-ray scope to look through attractive young interns' dresses.....well that doesn't count.

Bessy uses a straight spotter? Why am I not surprised? No wonder he can never find any animals!

All kidding aside (except for the part that bessy can't find animals), I use an angled spotter. It took some getting used to in the beginning, but once I figured out how to use it well, I could never imagine going back to a straight spotter. (My first year using a spotter many years ago was with a borrowed straight spotting scope.) The idea that it takes longer to find a specific point or animal with an angled spotter really is just for newbies or folks that don't know how to use a spotting scope. Once you figure it out, it's just as quick. Long glassing sessions with an angled spotter are much more comfortable than a straight spotter...for me at least.

Horsecorn, I think this debate is an "age" thing.

Us "old" guys grew up looking straight in front of us, looking for the next thing that needed to be done.

These "younger" guys are used to looking down, down at their phones trying to figure out if they got more 'likes" on Instagram or looking down playing games on their phones.

Remember, our phones had a circular dial we had to use.

😀

I have both, a straight is better for window shopping. Lately I’ve found myself actually taking the straight again more with tripod glassing as I don’t have to readjust my tripod from my binos to the angled spotter. That being said if I’m using my BTX I’ll take the angled spotter for same reason. I can’t say I’ve ever spent more than 10 minutes behind a spotter unless I’m videoing so the ergonomics aren’t as important to me. Spotters are for field judging and taking video. Binos are for glassing. If you are spending hours behind your spotting scope, you’re doing it wrong.

You can't make this statement for every hunting situation.
I can, you’re welcome to disagree though. The second you go down to one eye you lose your depth perception so “finding” game is mediocre at best IMO. If I could only carry 15’s or a spotter, I’m taking the 15’s all day every day for every situation. Might have to go for an occasional hike to assess an animal but I’d rather find em and have to get closer then not find em at all. I got the compact swaro this year and it makes the decision easy if I’m trying to pack light. 12’s on my chest and that thing in my pack and I’m set. If weight isn’t an issue then the BTX goes every time.

Us "old" guys grew up looking straight in front of us, looking for the next thing that needed to be done.

These "younger" guys are used to looking down, down at their phones trying to figure out if they got more 'likes" on Instagram or looking down playing games on their phones.

😀

I had an angled spotting scope before I had a smart phone!

You group huntin, flat brimming, bird watchin, grip and grinnin, photo article submittin, testosterone takin, mountinaman, tattooed up, Gen Z, Mercedes Van drivin, unemployement check cashin, angled using, they thems should shoot rifles with angled scopes on em as well.
Lead by example.

Yotebuster 17.................. for president.

I can, you’re welcome to disagree though. The second you go down to one eye you lose your depth perception so “finding” game is mediocre at best IMO. If I could only carry 15’s or a spotter, I’m taking the 15’s all day every day for every situation. Might have to go for an occasional hike to assess an animal but I’d rather find em and have to get closer then not find em at all. I got the compact swaro this year and it makes the decision easy if I’m trying to pack light. 12’s on my chest and that thing in my pack and I’m set. If weight isn’t an issue then the BTX goes every time.
😂😂😂😂

This is hilarious. We have become so polarized we act like children if people don't like our spotting scope preferences. 🤦‍♂️

If you spend hours every day on a spotter or you glass a lot in upwards steep country you will learn to like angle scopes.

Remember, our phones had a circular dial we had to use

These "younger" guys are used to looking down, down at their phones trying to figure out if they got more 'likes" on Instagram or looking down playing game

😀
Now thats funny. I can’t quit laughing

I'll Bet I've Got An Old Beat Up Straight Bushnell That's Seen More Inches Of Bone Than your Angled Pride & Joy Will Ever See & I Will Bet On This!:D

I’m so happy for your successes!

And if you like straight, rock the straight! It really doesn’t matter. It’s just hunting. It’s supposed to be enjoyed.

Hey Niller!

Before your Time!

But I Also Remember When If You Were Lucky Enough To Have A Spotter Of Any Kind You Were Seeing Stuff Some Others Couldn't See!

Now I'm That Other That's Not Packing 10K Worth Of Optics!

I’m so happy for your successes!

And if you like straight, rock the straight! It really doesn’t matter. It’s just hunting. It’s supposed to be enjoyed.

I just learned I been using my angle spotter upside down. Crap!!!!!

I personally didn't care for awhile. Once you spend hours glassing with a straight the neck pains and the cramps only made sense for angle spotter

So?

You Wasn't Clamping The Straight On The Window?:D

I just learned I been using my angle spotter upside down. Crap!!!!!

I personally didn't care for awhile. Once you spend hours glassing with a straight the neck pains and the cramps only made sense for angle spotter

I like straight spotters. Just easier for me. I hate looking through an angled scope finding a buck 2 miles a way and trying to figure out where the hell im looking. But I'm sure if i used an angled one allot I'd get used to it

10 k how did you get off so cheap. Swaros. nl pure 3,400, docter aspectrums 4,500, 18x56 binos 2,000, Leopold sx-5 1,800. Pulsar merger thermos 3,500 leica rangefinder 1,300 swaros el 10 x42 2,000 plus tripod window mount tripod heads and adapters. Let’s see I think I’m forgetting something. Over 19,000 (Holy ****) don’t tell my wife.

I Know Who's Got Way Better Glass Than Me!:D

10 k how did you get off so cheap. Swaros. nl pure 3,400, docter aspectrums 4,500, 18x56 binos 2,000, Leopold sx-5 1,800. Pulsar merger thermos 3,500 leica rangefinder 1,300 swaros el 10 x42 2,000 plus tripod window mount tripod heads and adapters. Let’s see I think I’m forgetting something. Over 19,000 (Holy ****) don’t tell my wife.

Pretty fancy glass for a road hunter!

I have both and I really prefer the angled especially on the tripod. It’s also easier for my kids to be able to look and not bump it. I really only use the straight on a window mount. The angled also is really comfortable for long sessions of spotting.

All that glass and you don't have the BTX? How can you call yourself a road hunter if you don't have the BTX?

So untrue.
Angled sucks for window mounts.
Makes ya feel like a conehead always hitting the cab.
Conehead, Angled, I'm beginning to see a correlation.

BTX.........Made by bird watchers for bird watchers.

I think the best answer here is: "Whatever you have and whatever you are used to". Using the opposite of what you normally use will feel weird and awkward. I use straight and my buddy likes angled. I tell him that I can find things quicker using a straight and he tells me that with time and practice, he can find things just as fast as I can with his angled. Just a preference issue if you ask me. take a guy that has never used either and he will always tell you that straight was easier to use for the first time. but with time and practice he might tell you angled works best for him.

^. Truth!

They gave people who use straight spotters a holiday. It’s called Juneteenth.

The official flag of straight spotter users:

IMG_0743.jpeg

SS why don’t you find someone that will make you angled binos if angled is so damn good. You know why they don’t, because angled sucks.

Another thing that’s funny is every one says it takes time to learn how to find thing quick With angled You know what with straight it happen right out of the box. And like slam says when looking with a pair of 15 power binos quick change to spotter and your there. I’ve never had a sore neck either with a straight. Sounds like you are a bunch of puzzys.

Another thing that’s funny is every one says it takes time to learn how to find thing quick With angled You know what with straight it happen right out of the box. And like slam says when looking with a pair of 15 power binos quick change to spotter and your there. I’ve never had a sore neck either with a straight. Sounds like you are a bunch of puzzys.
One things for sure, guys that use straight spotting scopes have thin skin.

You know who else uses straight spotting scopes? HUSH.

So to recap:

If you pee when you sit, eat corn the long ways, like rainbows, do it only in missionary, are a road hunter, and have a fire bull hat you use a straight spotter.

Yeah I’ll stick with angled. Thanks tho!

The thing that really gets me is all of the people that use a spotting scope standing up. WHY??? And most of the time they are on the skyline, like they are trying to mark their territory while spooking wildlife. Glassing standing up is a way to let the critters see you and to get tired quicker. If you glass for hours, it's not rocket science to know you'll do better sitting down and you'll also be less visible. Maybe some places you want to be seen, but I prefer to stay hidden while hunting.

The way the wind blows where I do a lot of my hunting, you often have to wrap a leg over your tripod to keep your spotter from tipping over while you're sitting down. If you are standing up, it is often impossible to even use a spotting scope.

I have 2 Swaros, a Leica, an old Leupold and a pair of Docters. They are all straight. If I'm sitting on my butt, I have zero trouble looking any direction with a straight spotter. I do have a couple of really good tripods that help. And no, I don't carry a pad for my butt either. I've sat on the ground for a decades and the pad thing amazes me too.

I do use my spotters on a window mount a LOT. I've tried angled ones for that and it just does not work at all.

I called Maven recently and was inquiring about one of their spotting scopes. The young lady on the phone actually laughed at me and called me a dumb flatlander when I said I prefer a straight spotter. Needles to say, I'll not own any Maven optics anytime soon.

Anyway, straight for me.

I don't use my spotter for taking pictures very often. I have a really good camera that zooms to 260 power and it also takes video. Just don't see the need for the lower power zoom on a spotter (plus phone) when my camera does a whole lot better. Also, I don't see any cameras with an angled eyepiece either. Maybe some of you guys better start making and selling those cameras with angled eyepieces. Looks like there's an opportunity out there.

Good conversation. It speaks to how different things work well for different people. We don't all shoot the same rifles, drive the same outfits, or use the same type of spotters. But we are all part of that big fraternity of hunters. Enjoy what you like. I doubt any of us pee sitting down.

I’ll tell you what ICMdeer. You’ve got to be a great guy to own a pair of docters. Good on you brother.

I was going to say tell me you don’t know much about glassing without telling me you don’t know much about glassing, but never mind.

I Can't Remember If It Was Niller Or Who?

(((RAZZIN Ya Niller!:D)))

But Several Years Ago Here On MM & I Don't Remember Who It Was?

They Told The Story Of Taking A GREENHORN Hunting!

Anyway,The Guy Driving Seen A Bull Elk But It Was On The GREENHORN'S Side So He Handed The GREENHORN His Spotter & Said Check That Bull Out With This!

The GREENHORN Was Looking Through The Big End/Lense of The Spotter!:D

The GREENHORN Claimed He Could See The Bull But I Don't Know About That!:D

Angled ones fit in your pack crappy too. Probably not an issue for the angled guys though. I picture them running oversized packs full of dehydrated food, satellite locators, and new skin.

Yeah Iv not had that problem at all swapping between my 10x binos and 15-45x65 angled spotter and being on target.

Seems to me most who use straight spotters are shorter than average.

Last edited:
Not in a mean way.

But my wife is tall and described straight spotters like giving a bj to a shorter dude, a pain in the neck she said.
She might have had better luck with angled ones in both situations.😀
On a serious note, I prefer an angled spotting scope for general usage, but a straight scope would be much more user friendly for a window mount.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom