Strange things happening!

NECALI

OK. I've read on here about different strange events happening in the wilds, but never had anything happen to me... Before a couple of weekends ago. My brother and I went for a little backpacking fishing trip into the Warner Mtns. In NE California. The first evening was uneventful with a few fish caught but nothing great. The next day we fished all day and saw several other people come up for a day of fishing and hiking. The lake was only a little hike from the road so we figured we would see people. Then that evening when everyone else had gone and right at dusk (you couldn't see very well at all) we heard a big splash around the bend but not to far from our camp. Probably about 30-40 yards. I thought it was just a rock that had come loose from the hillside. Then a couple of minutes later another splash across the lake. It sounded like someone was throwing large rocks into the lake. We thought maybe someone was still out there and was trying to mess with us. For the next half hour about six different times what sounded like rocks being thrown were making there way around the lake closer to us with each splash. Kind of freaked us out. It was pitch black by the time the last one was heard and we never did hear anything that sounded like someone was walking through the brush on the lakeshore. Any one ever heard a large trout make that kind of noise? Would like to hear some ideas out there about what this was.

By any chance are there beavers in that lake. Did you see anything that may look like a beaver dam. I have seen beavers do that with their tail as a danger warning to other beavers.
yes! they do have beavers in CA. I used to watch them while fishing the gold dredger ponds located in the foothills of Yuba County.

RELH

This happened to me years ago now. I was walking down to a remote lake when I kept hearing these large-sounding splashes. I at first thought it had to be a monster trout jumping. I discovered soon enough it was a couple of beavers, and actually watched them slap their tails a few times!

A Couple of Nocturnal 40 LB Trout!:D

I Mean Beavers!
Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

We thought about beavers, but have heard them before and it wasn't the same sound. We also saw no sign of beavers. The next morning I tossed a couple of rocks in the lake that were about six inches in diameter and it sounded exactly the same? Not saying it wasn't some five pound trout, but they would of had to come all the way out the the water and all landed the same way to produce the same sound.

Yes I saw a very odd thing once. On a deer hunt in south Tennessee I actually saw Lesgo54 hit what he was aiming at...

2311idiot.jpg

NECALI, your story fits mine to a tee. There is a little lake above Chester that years ago, took a bit of doing to get to and find. My Gal and i liked it there, a few beautiful spots on the lake to camp and during the week there hardly ever was anyone else there.

I liked to catch the trout from there. They weren't easy but were pretty fish and a guy could usually catch dinner. One time i was there, a guy and his son had dragged down a car-top boat and motor, they were trolling. When they passed by where i was, i asked how they were doing? they said that they just had one, a 3 1/2 pound rainbow. Now i had never even considered that a fish that big lived in that lake and told them so. "oh yes, this is a small one, they get much bigger than that, especially the browns. Most guys never catch them because they are not fishing for big fish"

So there i sat with the fresh news, my mouth open and the imaginary spinner on top of my cap going full tilt...

Often at night while camping there, i'd hear a loud "Ca-Wump" sounding splash out on the lake. I never for sure figured out what it was though every time i heard it, i'd consider on it some. I did though, catch a 7 pound brown from that lake the very next time i fished it and the time after that, i played for awhile but eventually lost a Brown trout that i saw a pretty good look at, he might have weighed upwards of 15 pounds, and they do often feed at night... Not saying one way or the other but just saying.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Well that's what we keep telling ourselves. It's gotta be big trout. It just didn't really sound like a big fish splashing. They had to have been coming out of the water all the way by the sound of it. My brother was telling one of his friends about it, and he told him about some guys camping out west of Paskenta that had big rocks being thrown into their camp one night. Kind of freaked them out also.

Yes, i agree and if they are big trout, most logical, why do/did they never jump like that in the day? i had no idea that there were huge trout in there until those guys told me there were.

The sound could have been made by someone throwing big rocks in the lake, big rocks. the problem with that theory, we knew at times, that there was no one else camped around or near the lake. i swear, i even thought it might be a alligator making that noise but knew better.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

A while back,I had a elk bow hunt.I set up camp and in the afternoon was checking my bow , for opening hunt the next day, a black bat was fling around,my truck ,and I wave my arms and it flew away, a few minutes later it came screaming back and landed on my chest,the claws were clinging onto my camo shirt.freaking out.I hit the bat with my hand,the bat fell to the ground ,I had the fire pit ready, the bat grabed a stick I found .the fire was burning,I threw the bat into the fire .. a few minutes later a small explosion blew in the fire..and a big black ash was floating out of the smoked fire...and was floating around me like. the bat spirit was still around ..it just drited away up ito the trees ..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom