Stuck in the mud.

huntn30inchers

I know that I'm probably in good company here on MM, but today was the first time in my life that I've ever had to leave a truck on the mountain, well more in a lake than on a mountain (luckily not mine!). After about 4 hours of digging the sun went down and we started our 5 mile walk, wet and pitch dark to get cell phone reception. And tomorrow after class, we get to make the 90 mile round trip all over again so I can pull him out, Yay! Anyone got any good/stupid stories they want to share?

Been there done that. My bet is, your younger and you guys were messing around. I'm a lil older now and dont do as many stupid things as I once did.

gila"s RIGHT BUT!!!

IT WAS FRIDAY DURING THE COVETED NE PISSCUTTER HUNT!!!

I'D GOT OFF WORK WITH JUST ENOUGH TIME TO HIT A CHUNK OF GROUND IN THE 10,000 FOOT ELEVATION!!!

THE SNOW WAS SOFT & I THOUGHT I WAS DOING ALRIGHT WHEN I FELL THROUGH A 3 FOOT DRIFT!!!

RAMMED & JAMMED!!!

ENDED UP CHAINING UP TO GET OUT!!!

I WAS SOAKED & COLDER THAN HELL!!!

WENT ON A NICE HIKE & NEVER SAW A DAMN THING!!!

THE NEXT MORNING A COUPLE OF GUYS FROM TABBY WERE SITTING IN THE SAME STUCK HOLE STUCKER THAN HELL!!!

I WALKED OUT 17 MILES ONE TIME BECAUSE I GOT MY ASS IN A NINE LINE BIND!!!

BEFORE CELL PHONES WERE AROUND!!!

17 MILES AIN'T BAD BUT AFTER YOU'VE BEEN IN THE STUCK HOLE FOR 8 HOURS TRYING TO GET OUT IT MAKES FOR A LONG DAY!!!

A GUY SHOULD USE THAT ROUND THANG ATOP HIS SHOULDERS A LITTLE MORE OFTEN!!!

LIVE & LEARN I GUESS???

BUT DO WE EVER LEARN???

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

had a similar situation as bessys but didnt have chains and resulted in a 21 mile hike...fun stuff, another time my starter bolts stripped out and the starter fell out, i tried to start it nothing, i had to walk out 19 miles half of it was in the dark, older and wiser, was 65 degrees in colorado springs just got my new truck, went for a little drive, this is what i found and all i was doing is turning around..... well i will post pics tomorrow gotta resize them

huntn30,

Your at U of M right. Where did you get stuck? There hasn't been much moisture around here in a while.
Mark

Haha, yeah, Im at the U. We got stuck up in the Missions. Long story short, my buddy thought that it would be easier to drive through the mud at the end of the lake rather than navigate the boulders on shore. And the worst part of the thing was that we were leaving, he had beat the crap out of the truck for like 2 hours and was fine. But like you guys said, it happens. I just hope that it didn't sink during the night.

Last september we finished work early and decided to go look at some old burn we had done some research in. Well we get there and the raod is pretty bad but we can see and hear a bunch of elk further up the canyon and decide to go for it. Well we didn't make it. After 2 hours of tring to get out it starts to get dark so we walk 7 miles back to a small town. The problem was by then it was already 12 at night and none of the 5 cars that drove by would stop. So we end up sleeping in the post office hudled onto the floor mat tring to stay warm. Since then I stay as far away from mud as possible.

472a020327fd521d.jpg

>Buy a winch!

Man I will second that. A winch has saved me from walking many miles stuck on rocks,snow and mud. And she will even bring you a cold beer in the summer and keep you warm in the winter :)

horsepoop.gif

About 15 years ago at Bartlett lake North of Scottsdale AZ a guy in a K5 Blazer was blasting through a mud bog on the edge of the lake.

We sat and watched him for about 30 minutes go back and fourth making lots of noise and generally pissing off everyone there.

Finally he sunk it to the frame.

Another guy came along in a SR5 Toyota and tried to snatch him out, but the weight difference and mud voided that plan.

So after another 30 minutes of watching that circus I took my Suburban which was a 3/4 ton 4x4 and was able to get on some dry ground and hooked up in front of the Toyota. I watched the driver in the Toyota in the rear view and when he gave me the signal I took off.

...we were no where near in a straight line...

When the lines went tight that little Toyota was stuck between the K5 and my Suburban and it looked like the front end lifted off...I saw the driver of the Toyota go from left to right in the cab, fully smacking the passenger door before coming to rest back in the drivers seat.

Once we got straight the K5 popped out like a cork.

I'm sure there was alcohol involved on all parties involved...

Well, I just got back. Final result, after about 4 more hours and many, many pull attempts we decided that my ram wouldnt do it. So prefessional help was called. 15 minutes to the turn off, 20 minutes to my buddies Rover, 5 minutes for the truck to winch it out of the hole. I was kind of disappointed with my truck about it but the guy told me that I didn't have a snowballs chance in hell, even the wrecker that came slid down the shale while he was winching it out. But its out, Ill post some pictures as soon as I get them back.

>Last september we finished work early
>and decided to go look
>at some old burn we
>had done some research in.
>Well we get there and
>the raod is pretty bad
>but we can see and
>hear a bunch of elk
>further up the canyon and
>decide to go for it.
>Well we didn't make it.
>After 2 hours of tring
>to get out it starts
>to get dark so we
>walk 7 miles back to
>a small town. The problem
>was by then it was
>already 12 at night and
>none of the 5 cars
>that drove by would stop.
>So we end up sleeping
>in the post office hudled
>onto the floor mat tring
>to stay warm. Since then
>I stay as far away
>from mud as possible.
>
>
472a020327fd521d.jpg

What do you expect i dont stop for goast

Here is the most STUCK I have ever been. I was trying to pull out an empty boat trailer when I hit a patch of silt. Sunk to the axles. It took three full size trucks to get me out! Those are 37 inch tires.
stuck.jpg

huntn30,

I am curious how much the tow truck bill was. I have thought of that often when way back in the middle of nowhere.

Mark

It was only $137, but, the tow guys were only like a total of 30 miles from where we were and they were VERY familiar with where we got stuck. But even then, I thought that it would have been much more expensive.

I have been all over the country and part of Idaho. But never been stuck. Been detained for a few days at a time and had to walk out my share but never stuck. One such fubar hung off a cliff for better part of a few days. January Henerys Buff hunt. Oh yeah then there was the near mishap off hanging upside down in the canal with water just above eye level. There was a close call when I had to build a road out of rocks and lodgpole that only took 3 days. I was out in the lake so far that the boats couldn't get to me. All is good though. Break downs don't count right? Rutnbuck

472c180d0baf5975.jpg

i am too tired to resize some more but this should get the point across friends dont let friends drive chevys

I don't have any pictures of the actual stuck, but this is the aftermath once I made it to dry ground. Proud to say I got out under my own power. I was going to try and pull some kids out in their 2 wheel drive Chevy. The ground was completely saturated and actually collapsed underneath me and pulled me into a hole.

6517P7140002.JPG

4213P7140004.JPG

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't play in the mud with a $50,000 truck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom