Stupid question bull elk

Trad Bow 1979

Ok, so if you get a bull elk you gotta leave the testicles attached to the animal. Now I am having a hard time visualizing how I am going to do this if I quarter the animal out. Typically when I quarter one out, I take the hide off completely to help the meat cool down. Also, I was always in the habit of removing the testicles right away to keep it from contaminating the meat. So I the department and of course the person I talked to understood the regulation but has clearly never attempted it himself. How can I do this if I am quartering at the site of the kill?

Actually not as hard as you are making it out to be. I always quarter the animal, and sometimes bone it out as well. When you skin the animal just leave that hunk of hide attached around the testicles and you should not have any issues. It is the same with a cow, just cut around the parts and leave it attached to a chunk of hide attached to whichever quarter works best.

I know that is the rule, but I don't do it. I hunt four miles from the road. I debone my animals and pack out meat only. Don't want a pair of testes attached to any of it!! I guess if I had to I'd try to play dumb and invite the ranger to hike out and inspect the kill site.

I debone them, what I do is skin the top side first, remove the meat quarters. then with the 2nd side still down you can see the inside of the hindquarter with the nuts still attached from the center line down. I leave the skin (with nuts) attached around the center area of the hindquarter. Usually from the front to the back and down to just above the knee. Skin away the rest of the hide. Then flip flip over the animal and remove all of the quarters/meat from that side.

After getting the hindquarter off with the nuts naturally attached you can debone the quarter. There is a large piece of meat that can be removed where the skin will be attached, on a elk it weighs about 3-5 pounds (guessing). I leave it attached to that in its own bag, reduces the contamination and hair from rest of meat. I then debone and trim as fat/tendons off thus reducing more weight.

quoted from the regs "If a carcass is cut in pieces or deboned, evidence of sex needs to be attached to a quarter or an-
other major part of carcass. All portions must be
transported together."
Thus the way above provides it attached to a Major part of carcass since it weighs multiple pounds and every thing is cut up to about 5 pounds or under.
Also, once I get home and start to process the meat (I do it myself) I just throw away the "nut" bag due to all of the hair and urine all over that single piece of meat.

Very confusing but hope this helps. Once you start on the animal it will make sense and you will be able to see it...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

nmwapiti,

I assumed the same thing about antlers being enough evidence but the Game Warden told me that is not the case. The Game Warden said for me to do my best, if I mess it up than to just haul the testicles out in a bag. He said the worst case scenerio is I would be facing a $70 fine and nothing else. I think you guys are right, it shouldnt be too hard. I just never had to do it before so it throws me through a loop. If I do end up having to deal with it than that means I would have a bull on the ground which would be great! Thanks for the feedback guys.

Antlers are proof of sex as long as the animal is taken out whole, but if you are boneing out the meat and cutting off the antlers then clearly they are no proof of sex.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-14 AT 07:47PM (MST)[p]>Antlers are proof of sex...

Absolutely! As long as they are still attached to at least one quarter/shoulder! Proof of sex must be "naturally attached" to a major part of the meat. Otherwise, you could use the same antlers for several elk! Which is why the don't allow it.

The thing that makes no sense to me is that I will be hunting for elk with a bow and have an either sex tag in my pocket. However, I still have to maintain proof of sex! Go figure. But as I said, very easy to do.

And to be honest, you could probably "castrate" the bull by cutting just the tip of the scrotum off and pulling the testicles just like you castrate a calf. Then you could leave just the scrotum attached. Not sure if that is still legal, but don't see why it wouldn't be.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>I know that is the rule,
>but I don't do it.
>I hunt four miles from
>the road. I debone my
>animals and pack out meat
>only. Don't want a pair
>of testes attached to any
>of it!! I guess if
>I had to I'd try
>to play dumb and invite
>the ranger to hike out
>and inspect the kill site.
>

I am a veterinarian as was my Dad before me, and he was a vet for the state in the meat inspection division. And I can say with confidence, there is not chance of "tainting the meat" because you leave a testicle attached. Doesn't work that way. Once an animal dies, it has what it has in its meat, and bacteria is the only way you are going to taint the meat.

So, yes, he will probably follow you back to the kill site AND fine you AND assess you points against future licenses. Get enough points and you can't go hunting.

So, as easy as it is to leave a little hide with a testicle attached to a hind quarter, I see no reason not to do it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Here's another option. Discard the balls and leave the penis attached instead. You can peel the hide off from the inside out and leave it naturally attached. Done it on many elk and deer. It works well.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom