Stupid Question

soupcreek

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-09 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]I have spent a lot of time in the hills in my life and have found a few sheds here and there. I recently took a job on a military fort. I was excited about it, because there are hundreds of deer and elk that winter on the Fort. I assumed that they don't allow anyone on to pick sheds, so I thought I would just find them all over the place. I spent all last week surveying and put A LOT of miles on my boots (and truck). The first day alone, we saw 200+ mule deer and about 75 elk. I CAN'T FIND A SHED TO SAVE MY LIFE! Are they really that hard to find? Am I overlooking them? OR, has someone been in there and grabbed them all already? I am just looking for some advice. My looking is very casual as I am working from point to point, but I figured I would at least have stumbled on to something by now.
Thanks,
Soup

i'd start out with a little askin around, see if anyone else on base pics them up. i'd guess that at least someone on base shed hunts. maybe someone got to them first.

They are hard to find but I'm sure somebody is out there picking them up too already. The bases I look on have a few retired guys that spend every day, all day out there looking for them.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

If Your LOOKING AND ASSUME A Few Around You Will See Them.. But Keep In Mind You Have To Be Aware And Alert To See Them, You Will Never Find Them All So You Best Get Use To That Now, But Like I Said You Will Find A Few If They Are Still Ont HE Ground

i never bothered looking at "the fort", but i have noticed the scads of deer that tend to hang above blue cloud...people must be going into those hills and hiking around or you would have found some sheds during your survey work.

i definitely would not bother looking in the scratchgravels :)

do not forget to consider the numerous whitetails in the valley as a potential source of sheds close to home.

There are shed hunters everywhere, so you probably just got beat to the punch. It happens all the time and a base is no exception to the rules. If there are sheds, there are shed hunters looking there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom