Suit Over Idaho’s Wolf-Hunting Laws

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
https://biologicaldiversity.or...ing-laws-2021-07-19/

For Immediate Release, July 19, 2021

Liz Trotter, Earthjustice, (305) 332-5395, [email protected]
Andrea Zaccardi, Center for Biological Diversity, (303) 854-7748, [email protected]
Patrick Kelly, Western Watersheds Project, (208) 576-4314, [email protected]
Gary Macfarlane, Friends of the Clearwater, (208) 882-9755, [email protected]
Bonnie Rice, Sierra Club, (406) 640-2857, [email protected]

Lawsuit Launched Over Idaho’s Harmful Wolf-Hunting Laws

New Laws Pose Substantial Risks to Federally Protected Lynxes, Grizzly Bears

BOISE, Idaho— Ten groups filed a notice of intent today to sue the state of Idaho to challenge the state’s new wolf-hunting laws, which also pose a serious risk to federally protected species like lynxes and grizzly bears.

The laws, which call for the killing of up to 90% of the current gray wolf population, allow for year-round hunting, trapping and snaring, with hunters and trappers allowed to kill an unlimited number of wolves on a single tag. The state’s authorization of an unlimited season and expanded methods of killing wolves is likely to result in incidental trapping and snaring of federally protected lynxes and grizzly bears, violating the Endangered Species Act.

Earthjustice sent the notice on behalf of the Center for Biological Diversity, Footloose Montana, Friends of the Clearwater, International Wildlife Coexistence Network, Nimiipuu Protecting the Environment, Sierra Club, Trap Free Montana Public Lands, Western Watersheds Project, Wilderness Watch and Wolves of the Rockies.

“The Idaho Legislature’s latest assault on wolves introduces a new killing paradigm not seen since the 19th century,” said Ben Scrimshaw, an Earthjustice attorney. “We know that traps and snares frequently capture, injure and kill non-target animals. Flooding known lynxes and grizzly habitat with yet more trapping activity will result in significant collateral damage to these federally protected species.”

“I and many Nez Perce Tribal members are against the State of Idaho’s wolf slaughter plan,” said Julian Matthews of Nimiipuu Protecting the Environment. “We and many other tribal members feel that wolves are an important and critical piece in the ecosystem and attempts to appease ranchers and other groups in Idaho are abhorrent to us.”

“Idaho’s expansion of strangulation snares and other traps is an outrageous attack on wolves, but many other imperiled animals will also die,” said Andrea Zaccardi, a senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity. “These unjustifiable laws threaten to kill various species of native wildlife, including federally protected grizzly bears and Canada lynxes.”

“In reality there is no such thing as wolf trapping. Traps and snares are indiscriminate. With the liberalized trapping of wolves, there will be far more than wolves trapped, injured and killed,” said KC York of Trap Free Montana.

“Idaho is one of the key states where imperiled wildlife is afforded refuge from the pressures of our modern world,” said Suzanne Asha Stone, Idahoan and director of the International Wildlife Coexistence Network. “Allowing reckless killing of these species in their habitat on our national forests goes against everything that most Idahoans and the American people value on our public lands.”

“Idaho’s outdated plans for wolf killing will inevitably harm other native wildlife species. It’s unacceptable to allow imperiled species to be ‘collateral damage’ in Idaho’s war on wolves,” said Patrick Kelly, Idaho director of Western Watersheds Project.

“Grizzlies are returning to their former home in places like the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and North Fork Clearwater,” said Gary Macfarlane of Friends of the Clearwater. “Idaho’s abhorrent war on wolves could kill grizzlies too and prevent their recovery in some of the best habitat anywhere.”

“Idaho’s war on wolves is also a war on wilderness,” said George Nickas, executive director of Wilderness Watch. “The Forest Service has an obligation to the American public to step up and defend these special places and the wildlife that lives there.”

“Idaho continues to lead the nation in the mismanagement of the public’s wildlife. Incidental killing and flagrant disregard of wolves, lynx and grizzly bear wellbeing are reprehensible,” said Marc Cooke of Wolves of the Rockies.

“Idaho’s unwarranted, extreme new laws aimed at annihilating the wolf population will not only injure and kill countless wolves, but also threatened species including lynx and grizzly bears,” said Bonnie Rice, senior campaign representative for the Sierra Club. “Idaho is key to full recovery of grizzlies including in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. The state’s war on wolves also threatens the return of grizzlies and the overall biodiversity of the region in the midst of an extinction crisis.”

“The time has come to end our governor’s war on wildlife. This lawsuit is designed to stop the madness that comes from his cruel and blatant assault and efforts to privatize all wildlife,” said Stephen Capra of Footloose Montana. “We will stop him.”

Idaho has 60 days to respond to the notice. In June Earthjustice filed a notice of intent to sue in the state of Montana in response to its new wolf hunting laws.

Andrea Zaccardi, Center for Biological Diversity, (303) 854-7748, [email protected]

BOISE, Idaho— Ten groups filed a notice of intent today to sue the state of Idaho to challenge the state’s new wolf-hunting laws, which also pose a serious risk to federally protected species like lynxes and grizzly bears.

The laws, which call for the killing of up to 90% of the current gray wolf population, allow for year-round hunting, trapping and snaring, with hunters and trappers allowed to kill an unlimited number of wolves on a single tag. The state’s authorization of an unlimited season and expanded methods of killing wolves is likely to result in incidental trapping and snaring of federally protected lynxes and grizzly bears, violating the Endangered Species Act.

Earthjustice sent the notice on behalf of the Center for Biological Diversity, Footloose Montana, Friends of the Clearwater, International Wildlife Coexistence Network, Nimiipuu Protecting the Environment, Sierra Club, Trap Free Montana Public Lands, Western Watersheds Project, Wilderness Watch and Wolves of the Rockies.

“The Idaho Legislature’s latest assault on wolves introduces a new killing paradigm not seen since the 19th century,” said Ben Scrimshaw, an Earthjustice attorney. “We know that traps and snares frequently capture, injure and kill non-target animals. Flooding known lynxes and grizzly habitat with yet more trapping activity will result in significant collateral damage to these federally protected species.”

“I and many Nez Perce Tribal members are against the State of Idaho’s wolf slaughter plan,” said Julian Matthews of Nimiipuu Protecting the Environment. “We and many other tribal members feel that wolves are an important and critical piece in the ecosystem and attempts to appease ranchers and other groups in Idaho are abhorrent to us.”

“Idaho’s expansion of strangulation snares and other traps is an outrageous attack on wolves, but many other imperiled animals will also die,” said Andrea Zaccardi, a senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity. “These unjustifiable laws threaten to kill various species of native wildlife, including federally protected grizzly bears and Canada lynxes.”

“In reality there is no such thing as wolf trapping. Traps and snares are indiscriminate. With the liberalized trapping of wolves, there will be far more than wolves trapped, injured and killed,” said KC York of Trap Free Montana.

“Idaho is one of the key states where imperiled wildlife is afforded refuge from the pressures of our modern world,” said Suzanne Asha Stone, Idahoan and director of the International Wildlife Coexistence Network. “Allowing reckless killing of these species in their habitat on our national forests goes against everything that most Idahoans and the American people value on our public lands.”

“Idaho’s outdated plans for wolf killing will inevitably harm other native wildlife species. It’s unacceptable to allow imperiled species to be ‘collateral damage’ in Idaho’s war on wolves,” said Patrick Kelly, Idaho director of Western Watersheds Project.

“Grizzlies are returning to their former home in places like the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and North Fork Clearwater,” said Gary Macfarlane of Friends of the Clearwater. “Idaho’s abhorrent war on wolves could kill grizzlies too and prevent their recovery in some of the best habitat anywhere.”

“Idaho’s war on wolves is also a war on wilderness,” said George Nickas, executive director of Wilderness Watch. “The Forest Service has an obligation to the American public to step up and defend these special places and the wildlife that lives there.”

“Idaho continues to lead the nation in the mismanagement of the public’s wildlife. Incidental killing and flagrant disregard of wolves, lynx and grizzly bear wellbeing are reprehensible,” said Marc Cooke of Wolves of the Rockies.

“Idaho’s unwarranted, extreme new laws aimed at annihilating the wolf population will not only injure and kill countless wolves, but also threatened species including lynx and grizzly bears,” said Bonnie Rice, senior campaign representative for the Sierra Club. “Idaho is key to full recovery of grizzlies including in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. The state’s war on wolves also threatens the return of grizzlies and the overall biodiversity of the region in the midst of an extinction crisis.”

“The time has come to end our governor’s war on wildlife. This lawsuit is designed to stop the madness that comes from his cruel and blatant assault and efforts to privatize all wildlife,” said Stephen Capra of Footloose Montana. “We will stop him.”

Idaho has 60 days to respond to the notice. In June Earthjustice filed a notice of intent to sue in the state of Montana in response to its new wolf hunting laws.
Thanks for sharing

Can someone explain to me how a "sobering nation" like the Nez Perce have standing in another sobering nations legal proceedings? How is it the US has to listen to the Indians on game management or law, but the Indians don't have to on the flip side?

Further, since when is it the forest service job to manage wildlife?

The optics are horrible, not debating the reason, but the optics of what Idaho did, is an easy fund raiser and PR hit piece

How many wolves are on the reservation?

ID just needs to keep doing what its doing...
We will. I don’t know a single guy that lets them walk if they can help it. Buddy found a den last year elk hunting. Went back that evening, set up across from it and killed 5 out of the 8 they saw. Don’t worry, everyone had wolf tags

We will. I don’t know a single guy that lets them walk if they can help it. Buddy found a den last year elk hunting. Went back that evening, set up across from it and killed 5 out of the 8 they saw. Don’t worry, everyone had wolf tags
?????? riiiiiight

This is why the idiots in Boise shouldn't have passed that. Stick to the three S's.
SSS has been going on for years. Even if the regulations changed so they were managed exactly like coyotes, it would have no significant effect on the number of wolves hunters kill each year. Unless the state invests $10,000,000+ into reduction efforts, there is no way Idaho will even get close to 90% in wolf reduction in the next year. We would be lucky to see a 50% reduction by this time next year.

SSS has been going on for years. Even if the regulations changed so they were managed exactly like coyotes, it would have no significant effect on the number of wolves hunters kill each year. Unless the state invests $10,000,000+ into reduction efforts, there is no way Idaho will even get close to 90% in wolf reduction in the next year. We would be lucky to see a 50% reduction by this time next year.
Sounds like Idaho hunters are a bunch of sissies if they can’t kill a few wolves.

You can barely kill a coyote you’ll never kill a wolf…

Turns out the trick to making moose sheds look big in pictures is be 4 feet tall. This, this is the guy to listen to
Like always you don’t know what you’re talking about stumpy.
B6F8B988-C82A-444B-96D7-260E1C53A05B.jpeg

let’s see your wolf now you bad ass wolf hunter. Can’t even kill a mature coyote hahahaha

So yeah those moose sheds really are that big. Don’t be jealous.

Ha ha ha ha man that little mans disease really is stage 4 with you huh? That your boyfriend coopers ID? Too funny! The guy posted a license!! Guess I got to ya.

Funny you think you know what I can and can’t kill. But you know what I can do? See over a sheet of plywood laying on its side. Oh wait, no you wouldn’t know anything about that :ROFLMAO: you really are adorable

Ha ha ha ha man that little mans disease really is stage 4 with you huh? That your boyfriend coopers ID? Too funny! The guy posted a license!! Guess I got to ya.

Funny you think you know what I can and can’t kill. But you know what I can do? See over a sheet of plywood laying on its side. Oh wait, no you wouldn’t know anything about that :ROFLMAO: you really are adorable
You really are a fool if you think you can get anyone worked up here. No one respects you here, hell you can’t even post animals you killed. You have to post a friends elk, so sad.

calm down and compile your posts. It’s going to be ok you bad ass Idaho hunter! You’ll get a wolf one day…in your dreams

You really are a fool if you think you can get anyone worked up here. No one respects you here, hell you can’t even post animals you killed. You have to post a friends elk, so sad.

calm down and compile your posts. It’s going to be ok you bad ass Idaho hunter! You’ll get a wolf one day…in your dreams
Says the guy that posted a freakin ID he found on the side walk because a total stranger makes fun of him being a midget!! Man the only tool around here is you, the stubby screw driver :ROFLMAO:

Says the guy that posted a freakin ID he found on the side walk because a total stranger makes fun of him being a midget!! Man the only tool around here is you, the stubby screw driver :ROFLMAO:
We all know you have a problem with facts. Be a man and admit you were wrong again.

how many coyote pelts you have hanging in your trailer? Do they all look like they have mange like the one in your avatar?

I bet you’re the short guy and you’re letting your insecurities out on here. It’s ok buddy, throw them out there, we can handle it. Must be tough being a midget that kills mangy coyotes.

You have no business posting on a wolf thread. I’m sure there’s a thread someone about shooting coyote pups. Go find it, leave this thread for the men.

Like I said. Just adorable. Ya let it get to you tonight squirt. It the showers and try playing again tomorrow

Like I said. Just adorable. Ya let it get to you tonight squirt. It the showers and try playing again tomorrow
So this is you giving up? Got it. It will get better for you buddy. I know it’s late where you’re at and you sitting there alone waiting for my reply. If you need someone to talk to I’ll PM you a phone number. Not mine because I don’t have time to talk to your ***** arse.

Just dawned on me. Little fella like you probably wouldn’t understand a sports analogy. Never were picked for any of the pick up games were ya. I’m betting your quite the ball boy for cooper though :LOL:

Just dawned on me. Little fella like you probably wouldn’t understand a sports analogy. Never were picked for any of the pick up games were ya. I’m betting your quite the ball boy for cooper though :LOL:
Sports are gay. It’s starting to make sense though, the weak attempt at height jokes, sports analogies, killing dogs for fun. You have some serious issues. Let it out man. I can handle it. Let us help you buddy. Keep them coming! Let your healing begin online! Come on JP let it out!

And now gay comments!! Little insecurity coming out? Trying to cover something up? What you and cooper have is beautiful little guy. Don’t be ashamed. This is a safe space for you

You posted a picture of a license, I still can’t get over that. Just hilarious.
This actually matters to you doesn’t it? Wow that’s pathetic

And now gay comments!! Little insecurity coming out? Trying to cover something up? What you and cooper have is beautiful little guy. Don’t be ashamed. This is a safe space for you
Let it out JP! Keep it coming! You will get through it! Tomorrow the sun will rise and is a new day! Carpe Diem! Let those demons of insecurities out!

Sad little boy. An Internet forum actually gets to you. I’m here because tool sheds like you I find hilarious. Your here posting freakin pictures of ID’s that aren’t even yours because some dude you don’t know called you short:ROFLMAO:

I don’t even need to point out how pathetic that is. You do it all on your own. Thanks for the entertainment, fascinating to me that losers like you are actually out there

Sad little boy. An Internet forum actually gets to you. I’m here because tool sheds like you I find hilarious. Your here posting freakin pictures of ID’s that aren’t even yours because some dude you don’t know called you short:ROFLMAO:

I don’t even need to point out how pathetic that is. You do it all on your own. Thanks for the entertainment, fascinating to me that losers like you are actually out there
Keep the healing coming! We were all wondering why you, JP was here! We knew you didn’t hunt and your posts are just your way of dealing with your insecurities.It’s obviously you need help and we are making progress. Hell you’re up to two paragraphs before it gets too much and you have to stop sharing! Progress!

I’m not going to call you pathetic because we know this is your cry for help. I’m here for you JP. Let it out buddy.

you guys see SS's "ID"? real knee slapper :ROFLMAO:
You don’t have an audience yet. But we’re working on it. I’m going to give you a few likes to get you started. Therapy with likes and acknowledgements! We acknowledge you!

All these groups maker a lot of money suing States and others. Some of them , like CBD, have been stopping important forest management in CA. Since these groups all have full time lawyers on their staffs, they have become very adept at working the legal systems. The current laws allow them to do this. Therefore, only alternative is for States ought to go ahead with their hunts and forest management despite the lawsuits.

Note: I've also noticed that no one sues these groups. Surely their actions have put many in jeopardy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom