Summary of key points re: DWR, SFW/MDF, RMEF and the expo contract

dryflyelk

For those who are just catching up, I've made a summary of the main points of these events as they have rolled out over the last few months. Please feel free to correct me if any of this is erroneous.

- The Expo contract was up for renewal with applications due on Sept 1, 2015
- Following requirements in administrative rule R657-55, RMEF submitted their proposal to host on Sept 1, the last day to do so.
- After the deadline to submit proposals set forth in the DWR's own rule, the DWR announced that rules for submission had changed, and it would begin a formal RFP (Request For Proposal) process to determine the winner of the new contract.
- The DWR has been unable to explain the change to the formal RFP process. The DWR contends they are required to follow the Formal RFP process due to requirements in the State Procurement Statute even though that process conflicts with the requirements in its own rule R657-55-4.
- If the DWR is actually required to follow this formal RFP process, then they have been doing it incorrectly and violating the law for 10 years, including awarding past contracts for the expo to SFW and MDF without the formal RFP.
- The DWR changed the process to move to an RFP without any input from the public.
- Despite the change in the rules, RMEF put together a revised proposal following the RFP and submitted it to the DWR.
- The RFP form was heavily weighted to favor the existing organization putting any new groups at a distinct disadvantage.
- The RFP justification statement written by the selection committee scored each proposal out of 500 possible points. SFW scored 435, RMEF scored 387.5 (link at end of post for details.)
- The Utah Wildlife Board has 7 members, at least 4 of which are or have been heavily involved with SFW. Three members of the board recused themselves (John Bair, Byron Bateman, Steve Dalton) before making the recommendation. Donnie Hunter has been actively involved with SFW, but chose not to recuse himself from the process.
- Once a contract is signed between the DWR and SFW, a GRAMA request can be made to see the proposals by the different organizations. Detailed proposals from all orgs will be available soon.
- RMEF has stated that 100% of the revenues generated from application fees would be returned to Utah for conservation.
- RMEF offered 50% net income to DWR
- SFW and MDF can keep 70% of application revenues ($3.50 of every $5)

Score broken down as follows:
(link here: http://wildlife.utah.gov/pdf/2015-12-18_justification_statement.pdf)

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

RMEF also expected many times the attendance based on previous national convention attendance.

RMEF also offered 100% of all Conservation Tag funds and a fully audited accounting of all funds.

In totality, RMEFs offer would likely have been valued as an increase of millions of dollars, all of which was committed to remain in Utah for wildlife/habitat projects.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-15 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]The audit that RMEF offered to provide deserves further explanation. This would not be the supposed "audit" performed by the DWR pursuant to Utah Admin. Code R657-55-4(8)(f), which really only looked at the drawing process and the protocols used to protect client data. Rather, RMEF was offering to provide the public fully independent audit of all revenues and expenses relating to the Expo (not just application fees) on an annual basis. Rather than fighting to keep the information and accounting from the public's view, RMEF was offering complete transparency and disclosure. Can you imagine that?

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-15 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]The link to this thread would be great to forward to those
On the Wildlife Board, your local do nothing politicians,
The media and anyone else you can think of.

I wrote a letter to the Board yesterday as well as all TV media
Rolly and Wharton. I left Adam out as I understand his plight.

Keep the pressure on.

Thanks for doing this Dry!!

"The State of Utah has not given BGF anything.
They have invested in BGF to protect their
interests."
Birdman 4/15/15

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-15 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]If RMEF had gotten the contract, I would have considered spending money there. As it is, I likely won't, unless SFW clearly had a better bid, which I can't imagine.
Once again, people in power looking out for themselves.

And I hope that if there is something fishy exposed, there is a lawsuit filed.

Yeah try figuring out who has the better bid with the redactions in the SFW's proposal.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

The reasons for scoring have been released on the DWRs website. They are very weak. RMEF submitted the more beneficial bid, SFW won because the test was written for them.

Trying to compare the two proposals is a waste of time. It is merely ones opinion vs another.

The real crime is changing the rules at the last minute. Absolutely shameful and dishonest and it makes me sick to my stomach that this actually took place.

>Trying to compare the two proposals
>is a waste of time.
>It is merely ones opinion
>vs another.
>
>The real crime is changing the
>rules at the last minute.
>Absolutely shameful and dishonest and
>it makes me sick to
>my stomach that this actually
>took place.

I have to respectfully disagree with your first couple sentences because it is very simple to see that the RMEF bid was far superior. If you read the RMEF bid like I did tonight that is now posted on this site and HuntTalk IMHO the RMEF did an unreal job on it and nobody that could read that could remotely not score them higher unless the fix was in before they even got the packets to read. We all know that is what happened and it shows the internal corruption of Utah Government along with the SFW itself.

Also here is what the state recommended as format:

""FORMAT

Proposals should be concise, straightforward and prepared simply and economically. Expensive displays, bindings, or promotional materials are neither desired nor required. However, there is no intent in these instructions to limit a proposal?s content or to exclude any relevant or essential data.""

My opinion is that the RMEF proposal was far superior also, but that's just my opinion some may like the SFW proposal. I don't like Obama as president but some do. Really hard to argue opinions0 and get anywhere is my point.

But blatantly changing the process was shear criminal. They changed the rules to accommodate someone else shows no integrity. Both teams play the same game but each team has a different set of rules is just flat out wrong!!!

So you believe that all 4 on the panel were not bias and agreed the SFW proposal was far superior like they said at the wildlife board meeting? I don't buy it. Looking at each report, all 4 people who were said to not have a conflict of interest agreeing the one report was far superior is not believable to me.

Does anybody know if any of the 4 persons who scored the proposals were SFW members? Seems to be a relevant question to me.

For some reason the names of 3 of the individuals have not been given to the public. The DWR employee that was the 4th member said he was the DWR employee on the committee that scored the proposals but wouldn't give the names of the others involved.

You don't have to buy it Oneye. That's your opinion. I don't buy it either, That's my opinion.

I feel they same way you do but my point is it doesn't get me anywhere. All they have to say it no I wasn't bias and that's there opinion.

One of the guys could say "Yeah, I used to be a member but I hate them now but I like their proposal. Whether we think there lying or not is something we are not able to prove or enforce.

Our judgement in this case hold not weight. It has been a broken system for years. Public has no say.

They only way is to prove something was done illegal or we all boycott the Expo and hit them in the Wallet. We all know that everyone won't do that.

I feel like the State of Utah completely betrayed me and unless I can prove something was done illegal I have to bend over and take like I have at every RAC meeting I ever attended.

This is why I feel they major problem was changing the rules at the last minute.

The 4 board members who looked at and then voted on the contractor selection could only vote no if they knew of anything that was dishonest , untruthful etc. They had NO power to choose any other proposal. The whole process rested on the selection committee and the scoring process. They were the ones that made the decision.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-15 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-15 AT 03:23?PM (MST)

As we gather around this Christmas season we are so proud to be engaged in an organization that has the values that this great country we call America was founded upon. This RMEF commitment will never lead us away from our mission of habitat preservation and sound wildlife stewardship. We are proud of our accomplishments, and our excited to see what more can be done. If you share the values in the picture below we would ask you to join us as we move forward. Merry Christmas

3680integrity.jpg

It's time the Utah DWR applied those principles to its actions, and we as sportsmen have the duty to make them.

Justhefacts, I was a RMEF member for 20 years, chaired a local chapter for 8 of those years, and oh how I've love the RMEF , I think the world of Bill Christensen but having said that be awful careful of the pedestal that you put them on because I know for a fact that at least one of Bill's right hand men have none of the qualitys of the flags( or road signs ) that your flying, so I no longer waste my time in trying to make this organization and individual look good, this saddens me greatly because I truly do believe in what they do BTW I'm not a SFW/MDF member either, just keep in mind it seems like they all have there bad apples

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom