Sunrise at the N-Bar

JFWRC

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-14 AT 06:26AM (MST)[p]For all of you that were lucky enough to draw a Gila tag, I can assure you that you are in for immeasurable fun:)

Saturday, Kelly and I packed up the quad and headed to our friend's ranch in 16A.

The place is called N Bar Ranch and is a fantastic place to take your family to get away for the weekend and see the Gila in its grand splendor. N Bar is a an "Off the Grid" ranch that has guest cabins for your summer family or personal vacation or if you drew 16A, 16D, or 16B, it's the perfect place for base camp, where you get a hot shower and belly filling meals.

We arrived mid day Saturday and hit the back mountain roads and saw so many elk it was unbelievable. We saw some great bulls on the cool high mountain ridges. We got back to the ranch to clean up and have a delicious steak topped off with home made chocolate mirange pie.

As I am getting up in age, getting up in the middle of night to pee is standard procedure. Stepping out on the porch I heard the distinct pounding of hooves running off. I figured it was horses until I heard the high pitched scream of a bugle. Back to bed only to hear the mews of cows and calves all over the place. Somehow I fell back asleep but woke promptly at 6 to take some of the following pics. Kelly got up and enjoyed the scenery with me. She took off to hang with her horse buds. Note her petting the horses with cows and calves in the rear photo.

Later that morning we got on the quads again and headed out to look for the big herds of cows and calves. What a blast....the photo only shows a bit of the experience we had. The herd we came upon could not fit in the view finder. The one I have posted tries to encompass the best of the big herd. As they moved off, calves were separated from Moms and some ran back to where they started. The Moms with calves disobeying them had to go back and round them up. It was one of the most incredible displays of nature we had ever seen.

Anyway, for those of you that want to have a unforgettable weekend or week in the Gila, go google N Bar Ranch NM and set up a reservation with Preston. He's on facebook as well. If you can't google him send me a PM and I will get you his contact info. Hope you enjoy the pics. Jim

PS-The high fence at Preston's was built to keep the wolves out. The elk are on the other side.

5309img_8866.jpg

5150img_8867.jpg

4306img_8870.jpg

4842img_8876.jpg

3298img_8877.jpg

9342img_8879.jpg

243img_8884.jpg

8807img_8885.jpg

4392img_8886.jpg

180img_8889.jpg

1130img_8895.jpg

1432img_8896.jpg

319img_8897.jpg

1778s1340002.jpg

2653s1340006.jpg

7657img_8898.jpg

My 2nd home!

Sure wish i could draw a tag! I have some great memories down there and i can attest that Preston is a dang good man and the N Bar Ranch is a heavenly place.

Very nice pictures and well written account. For a moment I was there with you until I went out to pee off my porch and only heard the mew of a lost barn cat, the barking of dogs, soft rumble of pee hitting the top of my truck, and my wife's angelic voice saying" what the hell are you doing?" Oh well! Either way thanks for the experience, I was there with you man!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom