Superformance

G

GMONEY

Has anyone shot the Hornaday Superformance ammo? I have 270 and 308 calibers I am thinking about using it in . . . . I'm too lazy to reload.

from my experience, which is pretty limited, i have had pretty good luck with it in my 300win. both deer and elk. its not an elk bullet, at least as far as most folks would think. i am speaking of the SST. it was as advertised in my gun, killed several deer and a several elk, both bulls and cows, over 3-4 years. never had a problem. but i may have been either lucky, or maybe i'm just good. ha, ha. i am pretty sure lucky.
It was very accurate in my rifle. My sons are still using it. I have always reloaded, but when cases became hard to get, i figured i would just buy loaded ammo for a while. I have no complaints from the super-perf SST.

Couldn't get the 308 ammo to group in a heavy barreled varmint rifle...velocity was great though.

This will be my first year hunting with Hornady Superformace SST 130gr out of my 270. So far they shoot great out of my gun, great velocity, but I'm yet to see how they perform on an animal.

I Live For This

GMoney, take a look at this thread from a few weeks ago. It has a lot to say about the Superformance SST and GMX ammo and the significant differences between them. Which of these are you considering?

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...z=show_thread&om=22130&forum=DCForumID5&omm=0

My own experience with the GMX so far is limited to shooting at the range, but in 168 gr 308 caliber from a Lead Sled (I was sighting in the new rifle) it was placing multiple shots in the same whole at 100 yards.

Good luck.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

I have been looking the 270 GMX 130gr and the 308 SST 150gr rounds. After reviewing the ?Ammo Choice? thread, many of the guys don't favor these GMX or the SST bullets, particularly for elk, which I need. . . . Nosler accubond looks like the ticket. Ouch, I just got a price on a box of 20.

I have used Superformance and the previous Light or Heavy Magnum for years with good success. It shoots good in every gun I've shot it through. 300 Win Mag with 180 grain for deer and elk, 270 with 130 grain for deer, elk and bear, 30-06 in 150 for dear and 180 for elk, and 243 for deer. All have proven to be successful. All have been with the SST variety. Going to try the GMX in the '06 and see how that goes.

Cracks me up when guys complain about the SST not killing animals dead enough. I've had great results with the SST out of my .270's both for accuracy and fatality. However, neither of the rifles I tried the Superformance ammo in were as accurate as the regular Custom ammo and not accurate enough to hunt where shots would exceed 200 yards. If your rifle likes it, use it. You can also try the Interbond if you want a bullet construction that retains greater weight after impact, but the Interbonds are much harder to find.

I bought some of the 7-08 in SST. Mainly for the brass. That stuff was hot! Lost 2 primers out of a box of 20 and then couldn't get primers to hold in another 4 or 5 pieces. It did group well though. Thankfully finally found some 308 brass.

I get good accuracy in my 300 Win. Mag. with the 160gr. GMX.

Eel

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

I have had great accuracy and great terminal performance with the superformance with the interbond bullet. Unfortunately they area not currently making it with the interbond for some reason. I can't see why the GMX bullet would not perform well, but they are PRICEY

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I lost a 300+ bull two years ago shooting the 154gr. SST Superformance bullets out of my 7mm mag.
I hit the bull high in the shoulder at 150 yards and dropped the bull in its tracks but then the bull jumped right up and ran off like nothing was wrong. He ran up hill and I could see a 3" blood spot on his shoulder. It looked like the bullet exploded on contact. I never could relocate the bull and he bled very little. I will never use those bullets on elk again.
Shot my last bull with a 160 gr. accubond.

There's always next year

>Has anyone shot the Hornaday Superformance
>ammo? I have 270
>and 308 calibers I am
>thinking about using it in
>. . . . I'm
>too lazy to reload.

I have had better luck with Corlokt.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I like the flat shooting Superformance, however with all the unenthusiastic thoughts regarding the SST bullet I'm leaning towards the Nosler Accubond for an Elk round. Like Sagebrush and Txhunter58 indicated the Interbond are impossible to find.

>I like the flat shooting Superformance,
>however with all the unenthusiastic
>thoughts regarding the SST bullet
>I'm leaning towards the Nosler
>Accubond for an Elk round.
> Like Sagebrush and Txhunter58
>indicated the Interbond are impossible
>to find.

I have 3/4 of a box of Interbonds. I wonder how long they can last me!?! :eek:

Sometimes these threads crack me up. Over the years I have seen elk shot with 200 grain 300 ultra mag and keep going. If you don't shoot the vitals, regardless of the caliber, chances are it won't just lay down and die. My dad has killed way more elk with his 270 than I ever will in a lifetime and more deer with a 22-250 both guns and ammo that are strongly discouraged from being used on here. Shot placement is key for success.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom