Superhunt - Moose

sticksender

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-13 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p]F&G called yesterday to advise that I won the 2nd raffle for the Moose super-hunt license. Holy crap!!!

Now the initial "yee-hahs" are wearing off & I need to start planning the hunt. Being from out of state makes things a little trickier. Foremost being no chance for on-the-ground scouting due to very short notice.

I killed my OIL bull moose in 2008 in Unit 1-2, but for this hunt I'm looking at the southern part of the state. Probably less crowding, definitely less predators, and hopefully more older age-class bulls.

Obviously I want to take best advantage of this fantastic tag. I'd appreciate comments from any MM'ers here as to "where would you go?" and any other input. This license is good anywhere in the state in any open Moose season. I hunt archery-only and normally DIY and solo.

Feel free to post here on this thread, or you can PM me, or email direct by clicking the mail icon above.

tworivers- Those big forked brows look good. Can't see all of his paddles, but from what I can tell he's not bad at all. Cool pic, thanks.

You might take a look at this months Sports Afield at James Reeds 63A bull from last year. I scouted the bull for last years Super Tag hunter out of Unit 69; another monster! Just put in your time, as you have lots of it, and keep your ears open.

Blank- Thanks I will check out the article. For some reason, we actually just received a copy of that magazine in the mail, even though I've never subscribed.

Keep the tips coming.

Tough to beat 1-1, and 2. Don't think they've been hit as hard by the wolves yet as the eastern panhandle units. Seen good moose down south, but not in the same league as the northern bulls.

Pffft!! forget northern idaho, all you need to do is look in the Idaho record books to see where the biggest bulls come from. Bonneville county all the way baby! Caribou county gets a good note as well. There are some monster bulls in eastern idaho!

elkchaser60- PM sent

30hart- will do on the pics, will be totin' the camera at all times

lang- yes, definitely keeping unit 1-2 in my contingency plans....pretty familiar with that unit....killed my OIL bull moose there

anadavid25- for sure those are some of the first areas I'm checking out....tons of public land to roam, and hopefully some gagger bulls!

hey sticks, I will be out hunting for elk and deer this weekend, seeing if the bulls are active yet. I will keep an eye out for any big bull moose and let you know where I ran into one if I see any.

heres one ive been watching for a couple of years.

6349img_0134_b.jpg

lip-curl nice bull, I sent you a PM. I've got one more week of elk hunting to wrap up before I start seriously looking for a Bull Moose to fill this tag.

Hey Sticks,
I have been scouting in 69 for a monster bull elk I seen last year, I ran across two really nice bull moose. I will try and get some pics of them when I go back in this weekend.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-13 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]Here an Idaho bull.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii142/greatbasin_photos/bullmoose8-26-12135.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

anadavid25, if sticks is not interested, we may be , have the 69-2 tag, have seen around 20 bulls so far but not the right one, have had a few bull elk in the trail cams, and 2 huge deer though.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-13 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]That's one of the nicest under 40 inch bulls I've seen this year...he's just a pretty bull all the way around. I put him at about 38 inches...thanks for sharing!

Hey texcrantler,
The two I seen are about the same size as the one greatbasin just posted a pic of. They are not super huge bulls. You can find them hanging out in and around "Gibson basin".
I will let you know if I see any bigger ones.

You all seem like you know moose. I've never hunted moose or even been around them as i grew up hunting Oregon. I drew a tag for unit 12-2 and have only been up scouting/hunting at the beginning of the season. saw a lot of sign but only one cow. I'm headed up on the 4th of october for a longer hunt and was curious if you all think thats a good time to catch them in the rut. Thanks for the photos of bulls its really getting me pumped, keep em coming if you got them! hope i can find one similar!

I personally would wait later into Oct and for the vegetation and leaves to mostly fall and they are more visible. I always rattle in Bull moose in late Oct while hunting whitetails. RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"

I like the 1st week of October if you know where a couple of bulls are...this is usually prime rut time for moose and you can have good success calling them in w/ a cow call/bull grunt.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-13 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]sorry to high jack this thread a little, but i figured while the moose guys are talking i may as well catch them :) Judging from the amount of sign i saw in early September i think i know where a few moose are hanging out, so i'm excited to try some calling. Do moose cruise around looking for cows or do they stick to a small area? Also is it easy to hear a bull grunting, can you hear them from long distances? It seems like a subtle sound they make, not like an elk bugle. Anyway thanks for the help, I need it hunting a new species!

RE: Super -hunt - Moose

125 - I would go early in October to catch the peak of the rut.

In my experience moose are fairly predictable till the rut, when they travel quite a bit looking for cows.

In regard to calling there is a good youtube series by Frank Ritcey - you should google it up. Almost everything he said applied here. I mostly cow called, but did use a bull grunt and raked with an old elk shoulderblade to bring in a yearling bull scary close. I couldn't hear his grunts till he was about 20 yards away (very subtle). Be patient with the calling it can take hours, even over night for a bull to come in.

Thats my 2 cents. Good luck.

Take the road up to lookout point late in the evening and peek over the edge at the quaky patch below. That is where they were at when I seen them, about 50 yards apart.

You can hear them from a distance if you are paying attention to their sounds. Early morning hours is when I hear the bulls the most.

anadavid, is that looking into tex creek basin or Gibson creek been along time since I have been there, Gibson creek is not in our hunt tex creek basin is. thanks

Look out point is directly above Gibson basin. I am looking at the map for your moose hunt, and the border puts Gibson basin just outside of it. Now that is a bummer. Humpf!
From the looks of it, you are only allowed to hunt about half of unit 69. What kind of crap is that for a controlled hunt.
:-(

So looking at that map, I would say your best bet for a big bull would be somewhere off of skyline ridge or maybe Dan creek. There are some access yes areas in Dan creek you might be able to hunt.
Dont really think you would find a big bull near ririe Res, but who knows with how much they move around.

I will keep a lookout for a big bull while I am out scouting for elk and deer this weekend.

So was that you in the reddish truck parked on junction of meadow creek and antelope roads today? If so, my bro and I were the two on four wheelers that passed you. We were there scouting for deer and elk.

I have only ever seen 3 moose here in Idaho, two up at warm lake and one up by sun valley. Kinda been thinkin about putting in for moose next year. Not sure I want to go clear up North thou??

Chuck in Boise

30Hart, I didn't kill a trophy bull. Had a great hunt non-stop for 17 straight days. Saw well over 100 different Moose across 6 different units. Never saw single old mature bull, that was still alive anyway. Had a blast hunting with several different local guys. If I lived in Idaho rather than 25 hours away, I'd have kept hunting to the bitter end of the season, waiting for a big one. As it was, eventually I had to either eat the tag or fill it, and get back to work. I arrowed a modest bull, which was the biggest one I encountered the entire trip. Congrats on your own bull, I'd have loved to have found one that size. I consider this hunt the experience of a lifetime, and am extremely thankful for the opportunity.

Congrats on the bull...I was hoping you'd get a monster as idaho has some bruisers. Wow you saw a lot and gave it your all. Moose hunting can be really tough its not a slam dunk that's for sure...I spent so much time on mine I told my family no out of state hunts next year...taking it off. Mine came down to my third and final trip...but I live closer to Wyoming than you. The experience is memorable as not everyone gets to hunt these great animals. I'd love to see a pic...pm if you don't want to post it. Congrats again on a hard earned trophy.

I would love to see a picture of your moose even if it is a "modest" bull. Any more details on the hunt; which units you hunted in; packing out the meat, etc?

'slayer- Units 64, 65, 60A, 67, 69, and 55. I killed the bull in Unit 64. Did lots of hiking and hunted some remote areas, but then also hunted some areas full of road access. I lucked out and arrowed my bull in one of those well-roaded areas, down at low-elevations on a sage flat. At the time, I'd been glassing several smaller bulls off in the distance, when this bull emerged from the lip of a deep drainage about 75 yards in front of me. I swung the binocs onto him, saw the triple brows on both sides, and recognized him as a bull I'd seen that morning about a mile away. I'd made the decision that morning that he'd do just fine as a shooter, especially at this late stage in the hunt. Once he came broadside, I got the shot off from 30 yards, and it was a full pass-thru double-lung hit. He jogged about 60-70 yards before expiring.

There was a 2-track road nearby so I was able to drive my pick-up close to the kill site. Which was lucky since I was hunting alone that evening. It took about 4-5 hours to get the butchering done, then I headed for town and got the meat iced down by about 1 am. The game warden was kind enough to meet me the next morning to check him in, and I was on the road for home before noon.

Again, many thanks to all the Idaho guys who helped me out a bunch. In my experience, it's a fantastic state for sportsmen, with friendly and helpful people everywhere you go.

MooseADsm7.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom