SUPPORT FOR ZUMBO!!!!

D

Dmanmastertracker

OK, so the wagon jumpers have had their day, it's time to show Jim his nearly 50 years of helping preserve hunting for us as a way of life was not wasted based on one comment.

Anyone wishing to show their support send me an email. I plan to submit this primarily to the TV networks that would air his shows, as I know a lot of us still want to see his hunts. Any hunting organization willing to show support as a group is welcome also.

D

Be sure to tell us how many millions send thier support. Just two days on outdoor lifes blog, they had 3500 negative replies about dumbo! NRA recieved about the same in one day!
Dumbo has done nothing except fill his pockets from your stupidity and welfare checks!

How many damn Zumbo posts does thier have to be on one website?

horsepoop.gif

Call me stupid again bud. If you have a beef the protocol is to take it up by PM. Maybe you can't read.

D-Man you know I'm in!
Don't pay any attention to huck. He is actually dumb enough to believe that he is right or even capable of having an educated opinion on this subject.

Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Zumbo told me once that if I would take him hunting for free that he could put me on the map with a great write up. His time at the top is over with!

I like Jim Zumbo, always have, but he stepped in it bigtime. He made his bed, now he gets to sleep in it.

You surprise me Pbear.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-07 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]Sorry not your bud, ask the dud or dude. I would not associate with antigunners! Or people who use sniper rifles!

Count me in, I'm behind Zumbo 100%. I'd stick up for decent guy who's been hosed by the Bubba Brigade like he has.

I am sad to see Jim Zumbo or anyone's reputation completely ruined over one statement, especially one like Zumbo's that has celebrated the shooting and hunting sports for over 4 decades.
Let me say that I don't agree with with he wrote at all, he used the wrong words and didn't connect the dots with his thought process. I guess I'm really tired of the "PC" country we live in that tends to destroy those that may say the wrong thing. It's sad to see one paragraph ruin 42 years of writing about guns and hunting in a positive manner.

I choose to accept Mr. Zumbo's appology and forgive him for the misuse of his words.

Huck58,
ANTIGUNNERS??? Our stupidity and welfare checks? Come on Huck. Who are you tryin to kid? All this name callin and mud slingin because some of us don't jump to conclusions and agree with you? Can you honestly say that Jim Zumbo or any of us that support him are antigunners? Get a life.

I've just now had time to read his original statement and his apology. Count me in Dman. E-mail sent.

Eel

You have about 10, only 3490 to go to sway any of the sponsors.

Good Luck! It's ok to support a guy who wants one type of weapon ban, just because he has a lame apology. What was he supposed to do? Whine and snivel like pbear would do. I would just as soon say, you that support him, think like him, thus you are anti-gun by your choice and opinion.

Not me, to h$ll with him, I have met him, hunting, and at many functions in Cody. He was a different person in real life than on tv or in a book. I met him in deer area 119 once, pompous a$$, talked down to everyone in my camp. We all came away with a new impression of that guy. Pretty much the same as eastman! The sponsors were probably looking for a newer host anyway. He did them a favor!

A WHILE BACK I STUCK UP FOR A GUY THAT MADE A MISTAKE & A BUNCH OF MM'ERS CALLED ME AN IDIOT WITH DOUBLE STANDARDS!!!

WTF???

ANYBODY CAN MAKE A MISTAKE!!!

IT TAKES A MAN TO ADMIT HE MADE THE MISTAKE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING ZUMBO'S BRAIN MAY NOT BE WORKING AS GOOD AS IT ONCE DID!!!

Count me in as well. Email sent.

Its ridiculous the treatment Zumbo is getting for such a minor mis-statement. I happen to agree that AK's don't belong in deer camp. Silly to think that that opinion somehow threatens the 2nd amendment.

Also don't appreciate those who have had personal experiences with Zumbo coming on here and trashing him.

C'mon guys, show a little class.

Brahma >>>------>
Take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison. And make me savoury meat, such as I love. Genesis 27

I think he has done way more good than harm in his career. How many of us have ever said something they regret?

And where do you alter boys get off saying the man has "got rich" off hunting and guns? How do you know what he has made over the last 1/2 century?

I've seen a group of people that hate the successful more than this group of mouth breathers.

I'm in. One misstep, even a big one, shouldn't negate the good he has done for hunting or me personally. PM sent

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Can't say I was ever to impressed with the guy from what I know about him. he's one of those guys that talks big and really dosen't know squat. as a person I think he's a pretty nice guy. but don't know If he has very much common sense.My dad met him once back when he was first getting started in the writting business they were elk hunting, he said he told them all kinds of stories and tactics about elk hunting and how to do it. They invited him to stay for dinner and they all got a little sauced and my dad asked him. so jim, how many elk have you killed. he said well, if I kill two more after the one I'm after I'll have three. Just goes to show you his mind set, given he was drunk, but I don't think he's the type of guy to be in the public position he's in. Definatley wouldn't want him representing me as a hunter. I do kind of feel sorry for the guy for putting a big rut in his career but maybe its better in the long run...

Count me in for Zumbo. I have been and always will be one of his biggest supporters!
Mike

While I have a great degree of respect for Jim Zumbo (he has probably done more for hunting than everyone on MM combined x 10), I can't blame his sponsors for taking the stand that they did. Remington has dumped millions and millions of dollars into protecting our second ammendment rights and to have someone that represents their name, make a statement that goes against the very part of the constitution that they pay to protect, is crazy. I don't condemn Jim for his oppinions, in fact, I somewhat aggree, in that I don't think there is a place in hunting for assault rifles. The difference in my oppinion and Jim Zumbo's, mine is heard by 10-20 MM members that all own firearms and his is heard by millions of people including those that are completely against you and I owning a .22 rifle much less, hand guns, high powered rifles and especially assault rifles. Just my 2 cents. It is a very sad thing to see. I really think that his career is over as a spokesperson for hunting but if I had a question about hunting he would be at the top of my list to ask.

It's always an adventure!!!

I never really was a big fan of his, but he has done a lot for our sport. At any rate, I support him now. He had an opinion and he expressed it. I respect that.

I am also writing Outdoor life and telling them I will not be renewing my subscription if he is not brought back.

Here is a copy of what he has posted on Ted Nugents site:

Ted Nugent had Jim Zumbo posting on his forum today.

"The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I'm told, has never before been equaled. I'm not proud of that.
Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I'm not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don't want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can't believe I said the words ?ban? and ?terrorist? in the context that I did. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I've learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can't explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one ?black? firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I'm learning that many of my pals own AR-15?s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I'm almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most?America?s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I've ever done. But what's different now is that I'll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about ?black? rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I'll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I'll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15?s, and I'm eager to go, and learn. I'll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there's no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I'll repeat it. I'm willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you're willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this."

Jim Zumbo

txhunter58

After he came out supporting USO vs Arizona then apologized and now to see his words being used by the Brady organization I would say he either is very careless or is slipping a bit. No wish for harm but IMO he needs to retire. His apology won't offset the new gun control bill and you can bet his words will be used for eternity as a famous hunter who supports gun control. Drink all the kool-aid you want but what he did was not a little slip and it will harm the hunting community. Also how can any of you believe that a guy like that could not know his guns and what they are used for???

Dman and others
If assault weapons are now good enough for Zumbo for Zumbo,
are they good enough for you? Poor guy. I truly feel for him.
Always had the utmost respect for him.

GleninAz, its nice to see most of us can see the big picture.
We will hear his comments for years to come. Unfortunately it will be from the mouths of Brady and the likes. Twisted even more to fit thier aggenda.

Message sent.

Agree with Zumbo or not, this is a subject that needed to get into the light of day. Shame it had to be under these circumstances.

I'm in as well ?.I had the privilege of guiding Jim about 20 years ago and have the up most respect for him, I spent 10 days with him, just me, him and 6 horses. And I will go to bat for him any time any day.
He has done more to promote our hunting heritage in one month then most of us will in a lifetime. I know that some of you have read a article or two that he has wrote and think you know him, or even met him at a seminar or elk camp and got a bad first impression, and I also believe you only have one chance to make a first impression, and that's way my first impression of some of the guys on here is { WHAT A BUNCH OF AZZ HOLES }

Jim

Great, thanks. You guys could also include sportsman's organizations you belong to, like DU, RMEF, etc.. I sent a note to Jim, via the Nuge to see if he has any preference for where the petition is sent.
D

Count me in. Obviously what he did was damaging to the sport, but as a whole this guy has been great for the sport. I truly believe his apology was heartfelt, and would welcome him in my camp any day. Message Sent.

I'd like to clarify also, this support of Jim statement (His apology on Nugent also clarifies this) is in no way intended to support a ban on the sales of assault weapons. Neither Jim nor I want that. This is merely to state that the reaction of his sponsors was greatly an over-reaction and should have been handled better. He deserves the chance to keep contributing to our sport. In a little over a day we already have close to 100 signatures of hunters.

Thanks, -D

I can't believe how quick some people will turn on another. Zumbo is one of the biggest names in hunting and has done more for the sport than most could even dream of, I'm really sad to see his sponsors dispose of him like a worthless piece of trash for one misstatement. FREE ZUMBO!!!!!

Never thought I'd be on the same side as DMan or Dude, but I support Zumbo on this. He's done alot for the sport. I don't particularly care for assault rifles being used to hunt big game but they are ok for plinking rodents.

I'm in

This is how I feel... Zumbo made a mistake..You are right, everyone makes mistakes and to think differently is only a lie...This incident did arm alot of anti with some greatly needed ammo. If we as gun owners/hunters can be so vocal about this one incident then imagine how much more we could get accomplished if we continued to voice our opinions on gun issues to our politicians and the people that are uneducated about guns/hunting. We would have a huge presence if we all worked together in such a way. I do feel that even after what was said that Zumbo is a good guy and is one of us (especially after reading his last apology). He just did not use a very good choice of words. I do not like to see a man that is one of us get hung out to dry. With that said I would like to support Zumbo because I think he does have our best interests in mind and he has apologized for offending anyone. I think he handled it as a class act and I am sorry about what happend.

Good deal. Haven't seen this much unity around here in a while.
Good to see. Thanks. Some of you I may disagree with on a regular basis, know I still value your opinion.

D

To those that think he got what he deserved. We didn't say he didn't deserve any of this or say that we condoned his position. But what I can tell you is that we as individuals are sometimes too harsh in our reactions to others. This guy has spent his entire life promoting hunting and it's no excuse that he didn't realize how widespread the usage on these types of weapons really was. How many young folks do you think one of his books or articles may have resulted in them having an interst in hunting? I don't know but I'll bet there were quite a few over the years! He should of thought before he spoke because this is an issue where there is no safe middle ground! There's no doubt in my mind that his apology was sincere and heart felt.

Here's a bit of irony for you. The president of the NRA (a woman) was shooting a black AR in AZ within the last few weeks at a match. Here's the leader of the largest gun rights organization in the world who defends his right to shoot a scoped weapon suddenly having him critize her weapons choice. It's plain to see that he had lost touch with the widespead appeal and usage of this weapon type in his world. The fact the anti gun lobby grabbed his comments as fodder to promote their view could still have an ironic twist in the end. Could you see the looks on the faces in congress that support the ban if he stepped in the room and admitted that he was misinformed about these types of weapons and needed to recant his statements and offer dialoge to support their usage! The guy is a well establish outdoorsman that really was unknowlegable about this, so where would the common guy be on the information scale. That's right totally uninformed!

Zumbo could actually make a more valid point than most about why these guns aren't the threat they are labeled to be, based on his background. Now couple that with several other outdoor writers and competition shooters and veteran's testimony and you have a very vivid picture being painted. Then you point out that these weapons are made by, shot by and sold by Americans with a long lineage of military service and it pretty well shows that these aren't terrorists using them but red blooded Americans some of which just returned from service in Iraq.

That's a picture that most politicians would find hard to support because those are taxpaying voters! His words have generated the largest groundswell of support in gun right's this country has ever seen and if the NRA was to take hold of that and build on it would kick the weapons ban folks back into the stone age! That's why I think Jim Zumbo's best work still lies in front of him to promote gun right's and safe guard huntings future and leave a great legacy. The balls in his court but if I were him I'd seize the opportunity to show he's a man of action and not merely a few ill concieved words.

Member since 99', I usually listen and observe, with only a few posts here and there. However, like I write my congressional reporesentative on issues of concern, I will email my support for Jim Zumbo.

We all make mistakes and Jim should have chosen his words better and in good ole American fashion we throw him under the bus with harsh comments. Jim Zumbo has done more positive things for our sport than most all of us will ever come close to. We all make mistakes, we just aren't under the spotlight and microscope like Zumbo where there is no room for error. Yeah, he should have been more careful, but sometimes we just mess up. Like one of the other supporters mentioned, Jim will probably turn this into a positive situation with a powerful message that further supports our love for hunting, guns, the 2nd ammendment and the great outdoors.

It is dissapointing to see the haters make their posts and jump on the slam Zumbo bandwagon. We all need to stick together to support our sport. This is a pretty significant bump in the road, but we must turn it to a positve and put our energy towards supporing our sport and our rights. We have way to many haters in the antis to deal with! We have way to much hate and cynicism against us and our sport already and the posts to this effect are very dissapointing and I am sure the diversion is very pleasing to the antis as well.

JL

Jim screwed up by voicing his true opinion. Well guess what, his voice and opinion represent many businesses in this hunting and shooting industry, and he should have known better.
He was FIRED for his actions, and you guys need to get over it. He can apologize all he wants, and i wont hate him (don't now)and neither will the businesses that fired him but he cannot expect a welfare check from the businesses that fed him for years even after he made a huge mistake. Mistakes are one thing, business is business and if you were the owner of a multi million dollar business that was in the shooting, or hunting sector you would be thinking a lot different. He mad his bed, and now he will lay in it. I wish him the best and i think he will do just fine, but with a few less sponsors.

For those that don't know Jim well heres his Bio;

Jim Zumbo has two degrees in forestry and wildlife management, and worked as a forester and wildlife biologist for 15 years. He sold his first article to OUTDOOR LIFE in 1962, and has had over 1,500 articles published in all the major outdoor magazines. In 1978, Zumbo joined OUTDOOR LIFE as full-time Western editor, then Editor at large, and is currently the Hunting Editor.

Zumbo writes about a variety of subjects for OUTDOOR LIFE, including adventure, ordeal pieces, profiles of outstanding outdoorsmen, small game, upland game, waterfowl, fishing, and big game hunting. He specializes in western big game, primarily elk and mule deer.

Widely regarded as the foremost authority on North American big game hunting, Zumbo has a large readership audience. In addition to his hundreds of articles published by OUTDOOR LIFE, Zumbo has authored 23 books. (For a compete listing of his books, click here, or go to the Books and More link.)

Zumbo also lectures extensively, primarily on big game hunting topics. He gives elk hunting schools, seminars and clinics on big game. Zumbo helped establish the NRA's Great American Hunting Tour by appearing at the first program in l987. Since then, he has appeared in more than 70 cities with the NRA and other show producers. He has been featured in seven hunting videos, three on elk, two on mule deer, one on whitetail deer, one on bighorn sheep, and one on cooking venison. He designed his own elk call and produced an accompanying 30-minute instructional cassette tape on the use of the call. He is also known for his skills as an outdoor photographer, having had some 3,000 photos published. Zumbo hosts his own show "Jim Zumbo Outdoors" which airs weekly on the Outdoor Channel. This show depicts all forms of hunting with an emphasis on western big game.

Zumbo lives in a log home in the mountains between Cody, Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park, with his wife, Madonna, and their two Labrador retrievers -- in an area he claims offers the best big game hunting in the lower 48. He routinely hunts whitetails and other game in at least 20 states each year. He also hunts Canada and Alaska extensively and has hunted abroad as well, including Africa, Europe, and South America. He has recently completed a personal goal of hunting deer in all 50 states. He has already hunted elk in every western "elk" state, and has hunted all but two Canadian provinces.

Professionally, he was chairman of the New York State Metropolitan Chapter of the Society of American Foresters, president of the Utah Chapter of The Wildlife Society, a two term Board member of the Outdoor Writer's Association of America, and served seven years on The Board of Directors of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF). He is a Professional Member of the Boone and Crockett Club, currently serves on board of the US Sportsmen's Alliance, and also serves again on the RMEF board.

I respect you for rallying around your friend and I tip my hat to his long list of accomplishments. Now how can a guy who is making a living off the gun industry not know that a mini-14, a mini-30 and an AR-15 are used by millions of people for target as well as hunting? It makes no sense that the man could be that ill informed. The terrorist comment just threw it all way over the top. I hope he recovers and wish him well.

Here is a copy of a letter I sent today to Outdoor life Magazine:

Bring back Zumbo!

I am sure your mailbag on Mr. Zumbo will be full this month! I have read
both his original comments and his apologies including his statement that he
plans on buying an AK type rifle to shoot and will try to educate people
about these types of rifles in the future. As far as my position, I will
fight til my dying breath to defend the right of Americans to buy these
types of rifles (semiautomatic) because I don't know how you could legally
ban a rifle stock, and that is the only real difference in the AK type
rifles and other semiautomatic hunting rifles.

That said, what would be my gut feeling if I met a fellow hunter in the
field carrying one of these types of rifles? I would probably wonder if
this guy had watched too many Rambo movies and would not really want to hunt
in the same area as him. That is probably an emotional response brought on
by ME watching too many Rambo movies. As stated, the only difference
between that rifle and mine is the stock configuration and a bigger clip. I
suspect that is the gut feeling that Mr. Zumbo was thinking about when he
wrote his now infamous Blog.

Would I ever buy one to use for hunting? No. Would I ever buy one if the
need arose to defend my home or homeland? You bet.

Bottom line is that Mr. Zumbo has done too much for hunting over the years
to be tossed aside for one transgression, even a major one. I think we
could turn this thing around and make it a positive experience with HIS
help. Othewise, it just divides us and helps the antis. Please bring him
back. If not, I will not be renewing my subscription.

txhunter58

Schmalts I understand what you're saying business is tough on people who make mistakes that's true. the thing here as I see it is if enough people believe Zumbo gave a good enough explanation or apology if you prefer we can turn a bad thing into a good thing. rather than fighting amongst ourselves and starting black rifle vs. walnut rifle factions we can pull together as a pro gun group and show the anti's we can and will stick together. I doubt I'm the only one who will choose sides if it comes down to it. the companies who jumped the gun to pacify the lynch mob may have this blow up in their face as they well should, if they had taken time to sort this out and hear some rational logic and give folks a chance to cool down this may have been a much smaller fiasco. I just don't see how anyone could read that bio and feel a few poorly chosen words justifies labeling the man anti gun.

Count me in the Free Zumbo crowd. I find it mind-boggling that so many would lump him in with the anti-gunner crowd over his statements regarding what he believes belongs in hunting camp. I personally believe that a Streetsweeper has no place in an upland game hunt. Does that make me an anti-gunner?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-07 AT 06:26PM (MST)[p]THanks! I had forgotten about his support of USO. He went national with that support. I must go to the other forums and remind every one of that escapaid! It was mentioned on his tv show even, and in outdoor life. I should have dropped them then.

Thats two strikes jimbo! Couple that with his shitty personallity and he's OUT!

He resigned from Outdoor Life, not fired but resigned. he knows he screwed up and needs replaced anyway, I highly doubt they will beg him to come back!

Ill support old Jim, hell I almost agree with him, except the terrorist part. Black guns AKs ect... are combat weapons, anybody who says they are legitimate hunting weapons is full of BS. They are designed to kill humans period!!!! Do I think a guy needs to have his entire career broken because of a stupid statement, hell no!! I think it sucks that his sponsors backed out, I know I cant do alot but I wont be spending a whole lot of dough with those sponsors, at least I will feel better. The sad part is on this whole debacle is that we are slowly dividing our ranks, and in my stupid opinion, we are screwed. I personally think the NRA is dragging us into oblivion. And yep you can quote me on that one, cause I dont give a rats arse.
hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif

Designed to kill people? Where do you think most sporting rifles came from???? Mausers! Designed to kill people.

Scoped long barreled rifles are designed to kill people! Sniper rifles is what jims buddy sara brady calls them.

I am way ahead with my longbow and flintlock! COOL! Ban em all!

Well, I read the latest gun control bill that the Brady bunch is pushing and it lists a Ruger mini 14 as a banned weapon. Ever see one on a ranch? Ever shot yotes with one? Some of you people amaze me. Must be from New York City. A fool and his gun are soon parted.

> Schmalts I understand what you're
>saying business is tough on
>people who make mistakes that's
>true. the thing here as
>I see it is if
>enough people believe Zumbo gave
>a good enough explanation or
>apology if you prefer we
>can turn a bad thing
>into a good thing. rather
>than fighting amongst ourselves and
>starting black rifle vs. walnut
>rifle factions we can pull
>together as a pro gun
>group and show the anti's
>we can and will stick
>together. I doubt I'm the
>only one who will choose
>sides if it comes down
>to it. the companies who
>jumped the gun to pacify
>the lynch mob may have
>this blow up in their
>face as they well should,
>if they had taken time
>to sort this out and
>hear some rational logic and
>give folks a chance to
>cool down this may have
>been a much smaller fiasco.
>I just don't see how
>anyone could read that bio
>and feel a few poorly
>chosen words justifies labeling the
>man anti gun.

I think the businesses and NRA reacted to the way the public reacted, not vice versa. Like the guy with the bad wig says "your fired!!!"

Yeah Ruger Mini 14 now there is an acurate coyote gun, are you kidding me, those things are the most unaccurate piece of crap that ever came off of a stamping machine. All that aside, I hate bans, I dont like our corrupt government, including the NRA, I dont like lawmakers, I dont like the massive amount of laws and retrictions that are give to us daily, I dont like attorneys and I damned sure dont like know it alls from this hunting board. I do like ole Zumbo though, so thats that, you can quote me on that one too.

Theres nothing wrong with the Mini 14 sheepeater, infact it is very popular with law enforcement officers.
ismith

I support Zumbo 100%. He has done more for the preservation of hunting than most will do in 2 lifetimes. GO ZUMBO

In Zumbos' "apology" he not only apologized, he retracted his former statement, and plead ignorant on the subject. Good 'ol Nuge promised to educate him.

The antis will have a hard time using any of his original comments based on his retraction. They will look like fools if they do.

Just an update, I'm real close to submitting what I have so far real great responses from; Texas, Washington, Idaho, Utah, New York, New Mexico, California, Oregon, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, BC and other States. Looks like the Country is behind Jim on this one. I will send to OL, Cabelas and the NRA(I have a deal for them)-I will join if they take Jim back.

D

Dmanmastertracker, I think your cause is noble but to really be effective I think Jim Zumbo must step up and demonstrate he is a man of action, not words, on this and go forth and demonstrate that he truly supports gun rights, gun ownership, the NRA and champion legislation to protect gun right's and huntings future. Then you watch what happens the Phoenix will rise from the ashes and there'll be more support than ever on the issues and you'll see unity in the ranks that many only dreamed would happen. Nobody can fix what he did except Jim and it's up to him and him alone to start the healing process. If he handles this right the support and understanding will surely follow from all levels along the way. It won't be an easy journey but one more fulfilling than any he's embarked on to this point and one with a more personal reward in the end.

I agree and Jim took that big step today. He went on the Nugent blog and was assailed with sometimes asenine questions and put forth a great effort. Proved yet again he is a man of class.

Boskee you may be right but Ted and Dman are on the right track to make it happen. if we want Zumbo to try to make this into something positive we have to call the dogs off. I'm thinking Jim is a heck of a guy, if I'd taken the hits below the belt he has no amount of money or sense of duty could get me to suck it up like he's done.

Perhaps it's time to stop living in the past and think about what this whole deal has caused:
There is a message that has been sent, maybe not obvious. The gun-grabbers may now know that the gun-owners will not tolerate even the slightest criticisms of their rights from one of their own high-profilers. Maybe open an eye or two.
If they had their doubts before, the reactions have shown to the Brady creeps and the enemies within, maybe as high as congress, that they are mucking with some pretty serious business and some pretty serious citizens outside of D.C. and aside from the pro-gun lobbies. They will have paid close attention, if they are smart.
Maybe a Zumborgasm was needed to turn up the volume as to where the bear sh*ts in the woods.
Maybe it won't be so hard for some to raise a stink next time someone publicly denounces the only real freedom.
This is a basic generalization for the sake of brevity, but I believe some good may come of it, unless I'm over-estimating the intelligence of the anti-gun establishment, or they are already too strong, or we are too petty. I know I do not under-estimate their will.

Goin' shootin' tomorrow--Rump

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-07 AT 10:24AM (MST)[p]"They are designed to kill humans period!!!!"
"and I damned sure
>dont like know it alls
>from this hunting board. "

Seems like you are one of them.

Next time I go to a match with my HBAR, I will have to remind myself that it was only designed to kill humans.

Count me out on supporting Mr. Zumbo. His ignorance of what ARs can do is forgivable, although hard to understand of a man who has been in the business as long as he has. I think he was sincere in his apology about that ignorance...but to lump myself and others in with terrorists is not quite what I expect of an outdoors writer.

His aligment with USO doesn't help.

Here is the worst side effect IMO. On another hunting site several people are spoutung off that AR-15, mini-14, mini-30 etc. would be fine to make illegal for hunting. Now if you think that a gun should be outlawed from hunting that is the same caliber as another gun just because it looks different then you are soon to be sniffing up Hillary and Pelosi's skirts. Unbelieveable.

D-Man...I am almost always on the other side of the coin as you are, but this time I appreciate what you are doing. I just read the entire NUGE board. HOLY MOLY, I thought we were bad on here.
Vote for Jim!

D-man, sent ya an e-mail. Sorry it took so long (pretty rough couple of days).

Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Good to have you Doug thanks. The Nuge board crowd is pretty tunnel vision it seems, I know what you mean. I did manage a few signatures from the members there though.

D

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-07 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]Despite the risk of vilification, I'll repost a message I put on another board a while ago. Ignore the part between the **s since it's an answer to another message about an elk permit Jim received in AZ during and BECAUSE of the USO fiasco. Rather than use it, he ate it and disengaged himself from any dealings with USO. -TONY

Doc,

Great. Glad you found it. Jim told me much the same during an unrelated phone conversation right after he had received the AZ permit.**

Jim and I have been good friends ever since we were introduced to each other by a peer in Yellowstone NP. I believe that was in 1975. We're both dagos, the same age, and if I recall we also share the same BD! How time flies when you're getting old.

Through the years, we've spent many days together and shared meals and toddies. We've served on the board of directors of at least two organizations, and most recently Jim, myself and eight others were put in charge to start a new media organization that supported the traditional shooting, hunting, fishing and trapping sports. The 10 of us met in Alabama for three days, and the result was the Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA)

The impetus for this happened because the board of another writers' organization came down on the NRA president for comments he made at a banquet in regards to the Sierra Club.

As members of that organization for more than 30 years, both Jim and I were two of the most vehement detractors of that board's action. As a result, 500 or so members followed us as we resigned our long-standing memberships. The NRA, Remington, The Outdoor Channel and many other corporations who supported that group also resigned their affiliations and helped start POMA in 2005.

The mission and charter of POMA, which Jim helped craft, read:

MISSION STATEMENT

The Professional Outdoor Media Association, Inc. is a group of individual communicators and Corporate Partners who believe in, defend, support and promote the heritage of hunting, fishing, shooting and traditional outdoor sports through writing, photography and other means. By doing so, members hope to educate the general public about these sports and encourage more participation in them. The organization serves the membership by helping members grow professionally, improve their skills, better their working environments and enhance their businesses.

IRREVOCABLE CHARTER

In January 2005, at a combined meeting during the Safari Club International (SCI) convention and the Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade (SHOT) show, outdoor communicators elected a steering committee of their peers for the purpose of creating a new national outdoor media organization. The committee met in May 2005 at White Oak Plantation near Tuskegee, Alabama and formed the Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA).

The organization offers a congenial, collegial atmosphere to its members and provides them meaningful services including education in craft, improvement in business practices, tools to enhance efficiency and profits along with extensive networking opportunities. Members are committed to preserving the sanctity of freedom of speech and the right of individuals to keep and bear arms; fostering ethical standards in business dealings, communications and the codes by which they personally abide when afield; maintaining the integrity, understanding and enjoyment of traditional hunting, fishing, trapping and shooting activities.

POMA recognizes the important role that industry and members of the conservation community play in the perpetuation of outdoor sports. The organization acknowledges the mutually beneficial relationship individual and Corporate Partners enjoy as members

Finally, we honor the memory of the great hunting, fishing, trapping and shooting communicators from the past and pledge to perpetuate the heritage of our profession.

Unfortunately, in this fiasco, the almighty $$$$ ruled. Sadly, the same folks Jim stood behind decided to make him the sacrificial lamb, or perhaps roadkill would be more apropos.

Despite the outcry over the ignorance Jim showed, he ain't the enemy of the 2nd amendment or any other thing that entails shooting, guns and hunting. I no way condone or support what he said. In fact, we have corresponded since this started, so I know what he MEANT to say. Plus, I know the man and his principles. Some here and on the other chat boards could learn a lot from him.

No doubt right now Sarah's minions are perusing this and other boards and selecting some of the messages (and boy, are there some doozies from some foul-mouthed slobs), so the REAL enemies can stand up during the debate about the present AR ban bill and read them. Of course, they will probably do so only so they can say, "See what we mean? Are these really the type of people who should own these types of destructive weapons?"

Lastly, some think this event will unite ALL gun owners, hunters included. Guess what? I'd bet the divide will widen even more over it. In fact, it's already showing up all over the Web.

It's a sad day for all sportsmen when the ruination of the life of a friend of hunters, shooters and ALL FIREARMS OWNERS is applauded with glee and touted as the best thing since the invention of smokeless powder. And don't think the real enemy isn't watching that either and laughing out loud about the cannabilistic "assault rifle nuts."

Frankly, I'm rather ashamed by it; no, make that appalled by it. But hell, what do I know. I'm just another know-nothing outdoor writer who has now opened himself up for the same venom and vulgar comments Zumbo received. Have fun, but don't expect me to respond to any of it. -TONY

Well, I don't know him but if you that do can read all the garbage this innocent comment has ignited and still defend him then you are on your own. When hunters are arguing that certain guns that have identical calibers to common hunting guns should not be allowed just because they look different then we are in trouble. There is only one reason the Brady bunch has all this fodder and you people know it. If you really want to help your friend then you should have never started this type of thread in the first place. I am done with this garbage.

>Here is the worst side effect
>IMO. On another hunting site
>several people are spoutung off
>that AR-15, mini-14, mini-30 etc.
>would be fine to make
>illegal for hunting. Now if
>you think that a gun
>should be outlawed from hunting
>that is the same caliber
>as another gun just because
>it looks different then you
>are soon to be sniffing
>up Hillary and Pelosi's skirts.
>Unbelieveable.

Well said.

Glen, we are far from alone. In just three days I've logged over 100 folks who are members of every major hunting organization in the Country and servicemen/ women as well in support of Jim. Seems you might be in the monority. In history it seems, the ones who are first the loudest squawkers tend to disappear like a fart in the wind when the real truth is understood by everyone else. Hang on to your grudge if you want. You'll look a little silly in a few years when Jim yet again proves he is an ally of sportsmen, gun owners and most importantly hunters....

Outdoor writer, if you'd like to include your comments your more than welcome.

D

That's a stupid statement, an AR-15 and a Ruger number one .223 though the same caliber are far from the same gun. why can't you move past this? Zumbo says he made a mistake and wants to work to correct it, give him a chance.

Outdoor Writer- Great Post!
GeninAZ-And by the way I would really like to here your contributions to hunting, I will bet you dont even hold a fine hair to what Zumbo has done. But I will give you the benetit of a doubt so lets hear it, otherwise get lost you dont belong on this thread any longer. Adios and good riddance.
Huntingdude-you hit the nail on the head.

Guess you just won't let me go! I volunteered 102 hours last year to Game and Fish for habitat construction and relocation. Guess what. I don't even make a living on the animals so I did it for the good of other hunters. You guys are a great representation of the outfitter and guiding community with your small minded insults and name calling. Go ahead and flame me and line up to ban anything you want from hunting.

Hntnhrd just lost any credibility he may have had.

All the arguing on all the various hunting forums around is doing is showing the anti's that we are not as united as they are and that we are willing to push those away who are willing and eager to help our cause.

Has it really ever occured to anyone that all Jim did was make a comment whether it was right or wrong, but all of the power of that statement was created by you the readers and the responders. YOU, the unforgiving perfects of the world are the ones that divided, and gave fuel to the anti's. If YOU all hadn't responded the way you did, they would be just words, forgotten by the end of the day. Its amazing how many think that Jim sank the ship for hunters, shooters or sportsmans alike. It was more like everyone on the boat flocking to one side of the boat for a looksie that capsized it. GET A GRIP folks. The man said something, he sincerely apologized for it, and it probbly has a positive outcome.

First of when did I compare anyone to those two liberal losers.What I meant by it was that when you argue that one gun (ar15) is bad but another gun is good (BAR), you are heading down a slippery slope. Some of you guys are getting a little to sensitive. The guy screwed up and is taking his lumps for it. He is a big boy and will be fine. When you are in the spotlight it gets hot some times.

Secondly when the He!! did I ever have any credibiltiy!!!!!!

boneaddict,
That's kind of the whole point of this thread. It is in response to the uproar that was created. Most of the people on this thread are not responsible for blowing things out of proportion in the first place, but are trying to be the voice of reason after the fact.

I will support Mr. Zumbo as a man, he showed me his class with the way he talked to my two sons, He as a man would be welcome at my fire any day.
That does not mean I agree with his blog. And if I would ever be lucky enough to have him at my fire...we could argue half the night on how color and shape not a rifle make! Then I would spend the rest of the night listening, I bet he has some incredible hunting stories to tell.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-07 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]like I said before- who decides what is a "sniper" rifle ? if a fn/fal shoots a .308 and they ban it, then guess what my model 760 is also a .308 semi auto 5 shot detatchable mag- who tells the difference- some of you a holes ? bull shoot- like I also said before- F him !!!!! let him fry ! I also see on this post about 50% of the "members" have only a few posts. I am betting that this is the guys from the other posts about DUMBO using thier 2nd and 3rd user names. you have the main one you use with all of the regular posts then you have these that you only use to inflame and/or agree with these idiots. DUMBO is an elitist hunter who is paid to hunt and fish, he is given private land hunts for the same animals you and I attempt to draw tags for every year- all to write a few words about it- whee- whee- whee- DUMBO said it, so it must be true- WHEE WHEE. what a bunch of losers- he is fired ! you can send a thousand letters to these companies- it will never work. besides all the nra has to do is read dman's and pbear (how cute) posts and they won't want him as a member anyway- F off ! I'm in glen !!!!!
M WAITE, AZ.

Hey! I didn't even feel it. From now on I better sleep on my back with an apple in my mouth around you guys. Actually it is far more likely I would get buggered by one of you Zumbo groupies.

Be a nationally known outdoor writter and equate Assault rifle owners to terrorists and people line up to Kiss your ^$$. Come on here and say you don't like what he said and therefore you don't like him and you get crusified. What a bunch of hypocrites. Kiss away.

I wonder when these post will ever go away?

ammo-girlie, I just love your very informative 25 posts- WOW !

speaking of taking it in the poopy- you just could'nt get out of your closet fast enough huh big fella ? don't worry sweety keep your mouth running around here like that and all of your left leaning butties will invite you camping- hey maybe DUMBO can come by your tent and push your stool in for you ?

M WAITE, AZ.

>Has it really ever occured to
>anyone that all Jim did
>was make a comment whether
>it was right or wrong,
>but all of the power
>of that statement was created
>by you the readers and
>the responders. YOU, the
>unforgiving perfects of the world
>are the ones that divided,
>and gave fuel to the
>anti's. If YOU all
>hadn't responded the way you
>did, they would be just
>words, forgotten by the end
>of the day. Its
>amazing how many think that
>Jim sank the ship for
>hunters, shooters or sportsmans alike.
> It was more like
>everyone on the boat flocking
>to one side of the
>boat for a looksie that
>capsized it. GET A
>GRIP folks. The man
>said something, he sincerely apologized
>for it, and it probbly
>has a positive outcome.

couldn't have said it any better myself....right on brother!!

Well I guess we can argue all we want on this board, but the best thing to do for support is to write his sponsors and show your disdain. I talked to one of them yesterday, who a good friend of mine is a higher up for and they have recieved over 8,000 emails in support of Zumbo, although the number the first few days was higher against. It sounds like a lot of after thought support is flowing in since the smoke cleared.

I saw Jim at our sportsman's show today and talked to him for the first time, I really didn't expect him to show up. we talked a little bit about hunting and before I left I told him there were a lot of us behind him and left it at that, he thanked me . seemed like a nice guy to me, he was selling books and everyone I watched seemed either like they didn't know about the blow up or didn't care. makes me wonder if the ones wanting his head are really the majority or if they're just the loudest and most obnoxious.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom