Surelock Might be Coming Off!

smoktem

I am thinking next year that I might hunt with my old fixed sights and throw my 3 pin Sureloc in the trash. It seems that I have had too many instances the last few years where I haven't had time to adjust the sight and missed because of it. I love target shooting with the Sureloc because you can dial it in but I am having my doubts about hunting with it again. Here is the latest example. To start with I have my 3 pins locked at 30,40,50 (bottom on the tape @ 50) when I am walking. So the other day I have a 30" buck at 60 yards that a buddy and I surrounded, I assume that I am going to get a shot at him at that range so I lock at 60 yards. I look up and see my buddy at full draw, he shoots and I see the buck coming out of the trees straight at me. I draw, still locked at 60, as he comes to me with oak brush between us. I hold and wait, he stops at about 40 yards at the edge of the brush, I guess him at 40 and have to guess that my top pin is close to 40 now that I have moved the sureloc down to 60 on my tape. I shoot hit a limb and miss. The buck thought that it was my buddy that shot again and started running toward me agian and stopped at 25 yards while I i knocked another arrow. I figure that I dont have time to range and adjust the sight,plus he looking at me now, so I guess him at 30 and have to guess where to put my top pin AGIAN! Needless to say I guessed wrong and missed a 185"+ typical for the second time within 40 yards. I really think that if I have set pins at 30,40,50,60 etc that this buck dies. My other thought is to get a 5 pin sureloc? Anyone else have deer that should be on their wall and aren't because of this?

Here is a pic of the buck I missed Thanksgiving morning.
2010-11-25_09-45-06_324.jpg

general.jpg

I have hunted with a single pin sight for years and have only had to "aim off" once. It was on an elk and it died within 100 yards. I guess maybe I have been lucky.

I was using the G5 XR up until this year, that has 3 fixed pins and one adjustable, didnt have an issue like that but I was worried I would, so swapped to an old school 7 pin sight. Ended up shooting a smaller deer on last day of season, shot at 71 yards and wouldnt have gotten the shot if I had to take time to adjust it first.
My pins go from 30-90 yards,I did the Cameron Hanes trick and put labels on my 50 and 70 pins so it was easy to check which color I was shooting as I drew back. It also gave me something to think about during the shot, yellow pin, yellow pin, other than shoot the buck (shake uncontrollably), shoot the buck.

6 years with a single pin and 14 critters on the ground can't be wrong. I have found it very easy to adjust my pin quickly. I can't stand multi-pins any more but like COLO3D said, maybe I am just lucky.

alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

Same for me. Missed a nice buck a couple of years ago. Shot the first time and used my bottom pin because of distance. Second shot was closer, drew back and placed the 40yd pin on him and shot. Missed again. Took a moment to think about the whole ordeal and really couldn't tell myself which pin I even used on the second shot. Not anymore. Now shoot a HHA single pin adjustable sight. (Can't afford a Sure-Loc) Keep it on 40 yds when walking around. Can make a quick shot from 20 to 50 yds without adjusting the sight by just aiming a little high or low. If I have time I will take the time to adjust it to the exact yardage. One pin, no chance of screwing up in the heat of the battle. Works good so far. My two cents.

Steve

I have always admires the way you guys hunt. You boys are killing machines.

My two worthless cents on this matter is that if your having to jump shoot bucks and worried about having to adjust the sight or take the time to range and adjust the sight that it isnt a good situation to begin with. The buck has already been shot at twice and will probibly jump out of his skin if he see's his own shadow. Having a fixed pin sight and guessing the range still wont improve the situation.

You guys have killed enough animals though, so you should definatly post what you do decide to do and how you like it. I am always up for improvement.

One thing that the fixed pin will not let you do is dial in to specific distance shots over 50 yards, when it really starts to make a huge difference between each yard. But you know this, you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Justice you are right with that not being the ideal scenario to be in. I was hoping to get the first shot that day with the exact range, but it didn't pan out that way. That said, both of the shots I got were broadside as he was looking the opposite direction. I did have to make a yardage quess both times rather than range but in both cases my guess was close enough to kill if I would have aimed right. The only good thing about this is that I have a few months to make up my mind what direction to go. We did get a little lucky in missing this buck come to think about it, or I should say that my buddy got lucky by missing. If he would have killed this buck he wouldn't have got the smoker 201" gross buck he killed a few days later. It sure would have been nice to put both of them on the ground though. I'm a little jelous right now!

Heh, I know all about jealous, I see some pictures of the stuff you guys put on the ground.

Speaking of pictures, is your buddy offering up any? would love to see that 201" badboy. If he isnt willing to put up here maybe just give me a sneak peak? =)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom