SW Desert Muzzy Tag (deer)

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
What do you think it will take to get this new season tag? As a NR?

Way behind the curve for what most consider a "Premium" Utah deer tag.

So I thought I'd try to jump on something new with my 6 LE deer points......But I'm probably not the only guy.

Will be interesting to see. I guess you are saying that is what you already applied for since applications have closed? good luck

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You might just draw that tag this year Califelkslayer. I don't imagine the SW Desert late muzzeloader deer tag taking more than 6 points this year. Zion and Pine Valley might take more than 6 points. Most of the non-resident hunters are waiting to see how many people apply and what kind of success is seen this coming fall. I have never deer hunted on SW Desert, but I am sure there are some great bucks on there.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

I don't think any amount of points will guarantee a tag for a NR on the SWD late muzzy hunt. There will only be one NR permit so it will go in the random draw. IMO the SWD hunt will be the most difficult of the 6 late muzzy units to draw due to the fact it will likely have the least amount of tags available.

I hope 6 points will guarantee the Zion hunt for a resident but am having my doubts. In our hunting group three of us put in with 3 points, two put in with 6 points and one put in with 8 points.

Fanatic is right on the NR tags. Most units will only have 1 so no bonus tag to top point holder.
Will only be a couple resident tags so I could see some fairly large swings in what max points are as guys start to drop out of the race for Henries etc.

Im guessing you guys are familiar with the Zion unit huntinfanatic..? 8 points or even 6 points seems like a lot for a general season area... Even if its a Muzzy "rut" hunt. I hope you guys slay 'em

As far as the SWD, I agree that there will only be one tag for a NR, so max points will barely matter. I hope you draw the tag though Cali dude... You'll have a blast.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

BrowningRage,
Ya, we all live on the unit and know it very well. We do pretty good on the GS hunts every year and decided it's worth the points to basically have the unit to ourselves if a couple of us draw. The two with 6 points and the one with 8 points are wanting to get into the elk pool pretty bad and are eager to burn their deer points. We're hoping those 3 will draw and are excited to see what we can turn up if successful in the draw.

Any of you guys know anyone who put in for the Zion muzzy hunt with more than 5 points? Just trying to get a feel for our chances.

It is always a roll of the dice the first year. Especially since we don't know the amount of tags they will be giving for each of the late season muzzleloader tags. Did you apply for that late hunt? It will be a lot of fun and you will see some great bucks.

One week later and it would be fantastic IMO.

I applied since there really isn't any publicity on these hunts outside Utah and thought I might draw a great tag with 6 BPs when, once the word gets out, it'll probably take twice that since I think some great bucks will get killed.

I didn't know the tag numbers so I wasn't aware there would only be 1 NR tag.

A couple of times in my life I have pulled a great tag by being "sneaky." Meaning I found something, either in draw odds, or a new season, that allowed me to draw a great tag with far less points than it should have taken for that type quality hunt.

On the other hand, I'm usually the last to draw in "my point pool" on a unit where there are no secrets.

We'll see what the draws bring. I'm feeling a tag or two this year and am hoping one of them is in Utah.

Califelkslayer - I sure hope you are successful in your draw and your hunt. My opinion about the 1 NR tag is based on almost nothing. It is still a guessing game regarding tag numbers, but the general feeling is that they would offer just enough resident tags to qualify the unit for 1 NR tag as well.

We may find out in a couple weeks when the tag numbers come out that they in fact doubled that so that there would be at least 1NR Bonus tag. That'd be great for you.!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/rac/2015-04_rac_packet.pdf

7999latemuzz.jpg

It looks like there is only one non-resident tag on Southwest Desert.

Good luck.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom