swan hunting with a bow.

elkhuntn247

What arrowhead/broadhead do you guys think would work good on swans? I'd think it would need to be somethinfg that hit hard.

I don't know, but I've shot them with HeavyShot and they are tough to hit and knock down.

Please, please film your hunt and post it up. That will be EPIC!

Grizzly

>I don't know, but I've shot
>them with HeavyShot and they
>are tough to hit and
>knock down.
>
>Please, please film your hunt and
>post it up. That
>will be EPIC!
>
>Grizzly

Haha heavy shot does work well! And they are damn tough. But I've already got a collared one with a gun, so now its time to change it up! Hunt will be filmed. I'm thinking some sort of blunt tipped broadhead with a wire behind it

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-13 AT 04:14PM (MST)[p]Whatever giant expandable is least recommended for elk.

I watched a buddy of mine shoot some over the top folding blade mechanical that looks like a grim reaper or NAP spitfire. (I don't remember what it was) He shot a racoon and 2 turkeys in front of me and all had massive kinetic energy transfer and none penetrated to even the half way point of the arrow. I think that is what you want for this. I have shot several turkeys that ran off never to be found and my arrow went completely through and was covered with blood. From now on I will shoot some radical 2" cut mechanical for turkeys (or better yet a shotgun!)

I just did a quick search on cabelas and based on what they have I would look at the "Grim Reaper Razortip whitetail Special". 3 blades that fold out to dramatically slow that arrow down and 2" cut diameter.

I would say you want that arrow to hit and transfer its energy without just blowing through. (a mortally wounded on could glide a long ways if you are unlucky)

It has been over 30 years since I killed a swan with my bow. It was at Howards Slough. I was out in the salt grass on the mud flats waiting for them to come off the protected ponds. It took me 18 arrows before I nailed one in the chest, he folded up and landed almost on top of me. I hunted out there so I was away from everyone. Don't try to shoot them if they are not directly over you. You lose your arrows and it is impossible to lead them enough. I was using bear razors at that time in my life. I shoot that broad head at least 4 times before it killed the swan. That was then, but what a blast.

Maybe try this one?

7932guillotene.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom