Swarovski SLC 10x42

B

bakerboy

I just bought a brand new pair of the Swarovski SLC 10x42. I was just curious to hear what other SLC owners have to say about my recent purchase. Or non owners as well. Thanks for the input.

Good choice! probably the best money you will ever spend on hunting equipment.

Come on admit it, you just wanted to brag! And asking us non-Swaro owners what we think is really just pouring salt in the wounds! So you really want to know what I think? I think I want a pair too!! So congratulations and remember its not what anyone else thinks that matters, its how you play the game. (Or something like that)

Have had mine for a few years now and they live up to their reputaion. good choice.
-Raptor

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-05 AT 09:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-05 AT 09:02?PM (MST)

I just compared them today to the nikon monarchs, pentax and zeiss conquest lines (in 10x40 class). I was shocked at how much blurr the SLC's had around the edges--it was obvious to me that the lenses were not ground as top-notched as I would expect for a $1000 plus pair of binoculars. The Conquests were every bit as good for less than half the price. I may have seen a "bum" pair that slipped thru the cracks...but, I kinda doubt it...I looked through 3 pairs and, still can't get over it...I expected a lot more from swarovski given the hype and customer loyalty.

The new Nikon monarchs lens quality has gone downhill but the diopter adjustment is better...the slc's, pentax and conquest were far better in terms of resolution/clearer picture. The slc's were equal to the conquest with pentax coming in close second....the monarch's just plain sucked with "waviness" in the resolution in addition to the blurr around the edges.

At least with the conquest and slc's, you could focus in the blurr but you'd loose your sight picture in the middle.

I didn't have the time to test for flare during sunrise/sunset. Color/contrast might even be better with the conquest over the slc's.

I hear the EL's are better but I'll never buy a pair without comparing them to the other top brands.

wmidbrook,

you been drinking, haven't you?

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-05 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]I don't think so.....compare them yourselves around the edges side by side. I think you've been intoxicated by the Swaro marketing.

The SLCs are ergonomically superior, the coatings may be better (didn't compare), but the resolution of the SLCs I looked at @ wildsports in Orangevale were equal to the conquests. The were fine, but I expected more.

If the edges weren't clear on the slc'c try cleaning the lenses. I have several different pairs of Swaro's and it aint the marketing that makes me buy them !

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-05 AT 10:13AM (MST)[p]My next purchase will be a quality set of binos. I am just starting to research, butlike what I have seen with the Swaros. My question is how do the SLCs compare to the LE models? Price difference is significant - is the quality difference equivelant?

Have the same binos. They are great--but not in the same league as the ELs. I'm seriously pisses me off to admit it too! I just haven't been able to rationalize the extra $ for the EL the last couple years. The high end lieca's are least as good as the SLCs, perhaps better. I don't believe they match the ELs, I haven't looked through the FL Zeis so can't comment on how they compare. The SLCs were step ahead of the older Zeis(classics?) I compared them too a few years ago.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday looking through many pairs of high end glass. The first pair I checked were the SLCs and I was impressed. Then I checked out the ELs. WOW! Here is how I ranked the ones I checked out. This dealer did not have Leica

EL $1750
Zeiss FL $1150
SLC $1200
Steiner (not sure of the model....about $900
Pentax DCF $650ish

One question for you SLC owners. How can you distinguish the new SLCs from last years model. I think the ones I looked through were last years. I hear there is quite a difference.

I have a pair of Pentax DCFs that I bought circa three years ago. I was very pleased with them that first year, but they seem to decline a bit each year. Please, no getting older jokes!

I have the Swarovski EL 10x42's and they are the single most Important piece of Hunting equipment that I have EVER bought!!! I am amazed everytime I bring them up to my failing eye's!!!They are the Binocular that EVERY other binocular is compared to.Yes they are Very Exspensive but you will NEVER regret buying them!!! Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom