synthetic or wood

Utahn

Just wondering what you guys prefer and why. I am looking at buying a new gun but can't decide witch stock I like. Wood feels and looks good, synthetic seems more durable. Thanks

UTAHN:

There are advocates in both camps, each praising the qualities of ones preference. It boils down to what YOU prefer, 'durability' or 'good looks and feel' (using the criteria you noted).

If you had to choose based on these criteria only, what would YOU select?

***Sperca

I own big game rifles in both. I like the looks of my wood Browning but the durability of my old Remington with the sythitic. They both shoot well and do the job, however, when it come to ruff and tuff stuff I seem to baby the wood which may hinder my performance when sneeking on game. I think everyone is right, it is a personal preferance. Some people swear by one or the other being more accurate, but I do not see it. Hope this helps.
Michael

Howdy,
I went through this same dilemma awhile back. I like the look and feel of wood on my rifles however tough to argue with the durability & reliability of synthetics, no warping etc.
I kinda compromised and went with the Laminated stock. Stronger then a standard wood stock but resistant to warping etc. like the synthetics.
"BC" Will

It is all personal preference to me, I don't think one is better than the other at all. All I own is wood and thats all I'll ever own.

IMHO, if you want an heirloom that makes yo feel warm and fuzzy; buy wood. If you want a tool, buy synthetic.

Utahn,
keep in mind, a stock can help or hinder your rifles
performance, I recently replaced the factory wood stock
on a Rem. 700 ADL with a syntetic stock from H.S. Precision
the gun went from 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. to 1/2" groups
from now on I will have H.S. Precision stocks on all my rifles.

NVMDF

It doesn't have to be either/or.........For almost any rifle you can buy, you have the option of a factory or other companies(H.S. Precision/Christensen Arms)make great synthetic stocks.
Buy your rifle in wood, then when you are headed for the water or the rocks, take a few minutes and switch to the synthetic..

just a thought....KT

I am looking at buying the new tikka t3 and will probably buy synthetic. This is my first year hunting and I am learning about what I like and what works. I feel that I would damage wood and I want my gun to look good for as long as possible.

I think synthetic is the only way to go... You can buy ones that look just like wood, feel like wood, but are impervious to weather..You can even buy laminated synthetics that nobody would ever know is NOT real wood...

i personally love wood stocks not only cause they look the best, they straight up perform better and they also reduce the recoil, my rifle has a awesome wooden stock on it and it puts 5 shots anywhere from 1/2- 1 inch groups with hand loads everytime.
casey

Synthetic, but remember just like everything else you get what you pay for. Also if you get a synthetic drop-in it is still a good idea to glass or epoxy bed.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom