Take this job and SHOVE IT!

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-05 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-05 AT 02:48?PM (MST)

Hey there the campfire! Just wanted to vent my frustration a little and start a fun post - so if you hate your job sometimes like I do or had a really bad job in the past - let us know. What do you do now, etc...In other words - what do you do when you are not hunting? I'll start... I am a full-time Ph.D. student at the mighty University of Texas at Austin (man I miss the mountains and UTAH!) and to support my family while I go to school I am a Part-time Preload Supervisor at UPS. That means I supervise the loading of UPS delivery vehicles and ensure that the drivers get out on the road by 9AM. I usually do more before 7AM the most of the free world does all week! I say part time but for as much as they work me, (35 hrs /week) they might as well just let me work another 5 hrs, make me full-time and pay me the other 30K a year they do the full time sups! Sometimes it makes me want to scream! Someone asked me last week if I like my job and all I could honestly say was I DO MY JOB! It supports my family so I really can't complain... but "I'd give the shirt right off of my back If I had the guts to say... TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT!!"

Keep your powder dry!
ROY

Well I said this same thing, sort of anyway, just 3 years, 4 months and 8 days ago. I RETIRED and unloaded a big burden and stressful job from my shoulders.
Took a cut in retirement pension but I am happy.

Brian

On 10-1-2003, I did the same thing as Kilowatt did, I retired and have not looked back since then. I do not miss the job, only some of the persons I enjoyed working with. As for the idiots, I damn well do not miss seeing them on a daily basis.

RELH

While going to school, I was a busboy/dishwasher. Hated it. I like my job now as a sawfiler in a sawmill. Best paying job in the industry. Kind of your own boss. It takes years to learn the skill, but if you're good you can find work anywhere. I have about 6 more years before retirement, (all depends on my 401k) :)I don't know what it's like not to work, but it sure sounds nice!

Steve

Im contemplating retirement but not sure... I do like what I do but just knda of tired of it all! Not sure if retirement at age 53 is what i should do just yet maybe waite another couple of years.

eelgrass- yea, you can find work anywhere except for Cascade, Horseshoe Bend, Emmett, etc etc etc. Around here sawmills are a thing of the past.

I work at Boeing and have been here for 27 years. I have 14 more years to reach 62. I like working and don't even think about retirement yet. I have met allot of great people at this company. It just a little embarrasing lately working for a company who's CEO'S can't lead by example...Any other Boeing employees out here???

I am a Probation/Parole Officer and get to deal with idiots day in and day out. The pay is crappy for what I do, the benefits are good. It puts food on the table but doesn't make me rich. Overall, I can say, I'm grateful just to have a decent job. There are lots of people who don't.

I've got 18 years in as a Fisheries Management Technician with Texas Parks and Wildlife. Pretty good job by most accounts. I just can't afford all the tags and hunts I want to do. Only 8 more years till I can retire. Looking forward to it.

Phantom Hunter

Sanatation Engineer, or Garbolist, or just Garbage Man. I work right in the middle of Downtown Seattle. You name it, I've probably seen it, especially in some of those alley ways.

Definately not the greatest job, and not what I got by Business Mgmt. degree for but pays pretty good and great pension. My magic number is 19. That gives me 30 years with the Teamsters and done at 51! Come on 2024'! :)

P.S. I want to be just like 'littlefoot' when I grow up! :)

Hey Muleyslyr, Do you know a guy by the name of Shawn Burwick? He drives for waste management out of Bothell. He's a friend of mine. His son and my son go to school together

I do...I worked at WM with Boz for 8 years before I transfered down to Seattle. He's still my garbage man here in Lynnwood. Small world huh? It's been a coupla' years since I saw his kids, is his boy still a moose?

Wow, lots of people on the verge of retirement on here. As for me I enjoy my work and my pay, I am a Technical Solutions Architect for IBM. I work full time out of my house so I kinda make my own schedule as well. I have tasks I need to get done, if it takes my 40 then I work 40 hours per week. If it takes me 10 hours then I work 10 hours just as long as all the work gets done. My job is pretty easy

RETIRED FIREMAN HERE, AFTER 29 YEARS OF THAT... YOU FEEL SPENT. RETIRED AT 49 TO HUNT, FISH, AND TRAVEL... SO FAR ITS GOIN GOOD. BEEN GONE LITTLE OVER A YEAR, DONT MISS IT A LICK. YOU REALLY GET A UGLY LOOK AT HUMANITY, AND SEE THE WORST SIDE OF FOLKS IN DURESS. IT WAS A VERY REWARDING CAREER THOUGH, GREAT BENEFITS, LOTS OF BUDDIES.... IF I WAS 20 I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT. ... YD.

Telecom tech here for tribal government. Can't complain too much, 8-5 M-F, more laid back than the private business world. Lots of time off, sick days, decent pay (could always be better right?) and excellent benefits.
Also getting time off is always no problem so hunting is not jeopardized.
As for retirement I'm only 32 so it will be a few more years however my 401 gets matched 100% plus my profit sharing also goes into my 401 so it has really grown since I started hear 4 years ago.

Interesting thread.

I had my own commercial concrete construction company for a few years. Ranger Concrete Con. Inc.(Hence the name RANGERCON)
Sold it, or the contracts rather, and went to work for the same company. Got laid off by them 3 weeks ago.

I did concrete work for about 17 years and loved it, but the last few just about drove me over the edge of sanity.

Now at 41 years old, I'm looking to get into the security contractor game.
I've been working for the past year to get a security gig in Iraq or anywhere I can make some serious paper.

Frankly, I'm not sure why I want to do this. I should have stayed in the military. I miss the adventure and the thrill of it all, I guess.

Funny that no one has mentioned being in the construction game on this thread yet.

I would also like to take my job and shove it.
I do child abuse investigations for the State of Utah.
I love helping kids, and its not even too hard to deal with the emotions of seeing some pretty messed up stuff. What I find the most difficult to deal with is parents. Nobody wants to take responsibility for anything. Its always the kid's fault. Drives me nuts!!! I've been here a couple years, and I am already burnt out.
I'm also tired of Utah and want to go back home to Montana. The sky is bigger up there if I remember right.
So, I guess they can take this job and this State and shove them both.
Sorry if I sound bitter. It's been a rough day.
-Soup

Well I went to work for Motorola about 11 years ago and figured that I work for them until I retired. This last Tuesday I made it through the 4th layoff and buyout. I have worked for Motorola, Amersham Biosciences, and GE Healthcare and do the same job. We started out with right about 300 people and are now down to 50 people. I guess I am either somewhat good at what I do or know the right people. But talk about stress. Twice I have been ready to start my own Landscaping Company and both times have made the cut.

I work for a high end custom mill. We specialize in the tricky stuff that nobody else wants to or can do. Most of our work goes into multi million dollar homes in Las Vegas. It started out as a decent job to get me through school but eight years later here I still am. It has some good points though, I can pretty much work the hours I want to work. I get all the time off in the fall for hunting that I want. The money for side work can be pretty nice. A little while back I built a really tricked out custom gun cabinet for a customer and made six weeks salary in a weeks worth of work. But still working for someone else just sucks. Lately I've been playing around with taxidermy, mounting sheds on skulls, and designing new ways to display european mounts. Truth is I'm not sure what career I want to have but when I figure it out my boss can take this job and shove it!

I turned in my papers to retire last Friday. Haven't felt this good since I joined the Navy in 74. Been lucky during that time and only missed out on 4 hunting seasons.

FEDDOC.... CONGRATS ON RETIREMENT. I DID THE SAME A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AGO. HAVE DONE A NUMBER OF NEAT THINGS IN MY LIFE, BUT NONE HAVE EVER FELT AS GOOD AS RETIREMENT. IT SEEMS TO BE THE GIFT THAT JUST KEEPS ON GIVING. NOW... LETS HUNT, ..YD.

Oh buddy, is that an understatement!!!! Trey is 14 years old weighs 172 pounds!!. He is undefeated in wrestling for the past two years and just kills his competition. (all pins). Shawn is a really nice guy. He's great to my kid. He just had rotater surgery about a month ago on his right shoulder.. Good friend of mine...

I love my job!
Great pay,tonS OT if want it. I do like so many of you do-the work no one else can do or can't or won't do! I am a Machinist(cnc)high end!!.
4255ff68641e6fbd.jpg

17k in quick change holder on the turret!
4255fff864ec2e5e.jpg

275k in this so far!(chuck is an SMW 25" quick change jaw chuck)
4256010067e5601b.jpg

more goodies
4256016068952d64.jpg

this is outside 36".
Modern tech!(I just figured out how to post photos)
lol
RACKMASTER

Been working as a Auto tech. for Land Rover and going to school. Recently switched careers and am now doing real estate appraising. It's a whole heck of a lot better then twisting wrenches. I'm my own boss now. I hated working my can off just to make someone else rich!

about $2200.00 (each) made outta titanium, plus .0005th minus zero out to 37" dia!(no sweat!!)
lol!
kinda tough on a retirement huh! our shop now does 3-4 mil a month and we are still loosing $$
so they say!
jack

I am a civil engineer for a private consulting firm. Been doing this for almost 16 years now and still enjoy it most days. Deadlines can be crushing at times, but the pay is good. My wife is a stay-at-home mom, the pay for that sucks. Together, we do enough to get by, but don't see any high-dollar hunting trips until we get the kids out of the house in about 18 year or so (youngest is just 7 months, oldest is 6, four in all).

Mark

I started out as a logger. I cut timber on the North Kaibab, and Dixie National forest for a few years. That all came to an end in the early 90's. I apprenticed at a taxidermy shop for 5 months, and then started my own business that fall. I have been full time for 10 years now.
It has been a wonderful job. I love seeing the happy hunters with their trophies. I like to meet new people, and the connections have been second to none.
There are a few things I don't like about the job, but it all can't be fun and games. I get sick of skinning dead animals in the fall. I take in around two hundred animals each year, and I work alone. The midnight oil gets burned alot in the fall so I can get up early and go hunting for myself. The other thing I get tired of is the calls from customers at all hours of the day and night, and every day of the week. I have become used to it, but my wife still rolls her eyes when we sit down for Sunday dinner and the phone rings, or we just get into bed at 11:30 or midnight and the phone rings with a hunter on his way with a monster buck.
I have done other side jobs, but I can't see myself ever doing anything else, even if I happened to find a gold mine out in the hills, I would probably still be putting animals back together.
Retirement? What's that? Someday I will check into that, but for now there's too many good hunts to pay for.

Rackmaster,

We recently switched to Wright CNC grinders for sharpening the band saws at our sawmill. Amazing technology. Saves lots of work and super accurate.

How many "custom" rifles have you built for yourself? Be honest! LOL

Steve

I'm an air traffic controller in Jackson, MS. The hours are great for hunting, either working early in the day or late. I've killed many a whitetail in the morning, done a quick skinning job, and made in to work by 1:30 pm. Also have had a lot of flexibility with getting off work so I could plan a western hunt. This year, our staffing numbers are low and it is hard to get off work. That makes it tough to put in for sheep tags or Arizona elk. I'll just try to build points where I can. Air Traffic is a lot of fun, but it does wear on you after a while. I've got 16 years in and can retire at 47 with 25 years in. We'll see how it goes from here.

FamilyMan:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but after that 18 years, then you get to start paying for college tuition, room & board, and books. After college, at least for daughters, you get to pay for a wedding also. Not questioning the value of raising a family -- my wife and I have three children.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-05 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]I'm a manage a group of quality engineers for a software company--we test the software. The company I was working for was absorbed by the new company after 7 out of 8 or 9 quarters worth of lay-offs. During the high tech down-sizing and all, it got ugly. Still is somewhat ugly. On many levels just happy to still have a job.

It's gotten better but 90%+ of all new hiring is done in India and the former USSR--off-shoring. Days of several thousand dollar new-hire referral fees are over when you've got thousands of engineers willing to work @ a fraction of your wage nipping at your heels....guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I direct a group of engineers over in Belarus and soon to get some Indian engineers too.

But, it's pretty damned crazy at times. It has it's satisfying moments too....but, it's a means to an end....looking forward to saying "so long" to everyone when I buy my own convenience store/gas station or something along those lines in the next few years.....I really need out of Korporate Amerika and doing something where I don't have to answer to anyone but myself.

I am president of a small electronics company, 12.5m. The owners sold in October and left me holding the bag. Now I work for a big corp. and it sucks! I was my own boss and was just starting to take more time off and now I can't take any. I have built this company and I got nothing for 30+ years of hard work.At least I still have a job!

I'm a UPS delivery driver in Tn. Been with them since I was in college. You can keep mgmt. Too much of a good ol boy society. It's not what I wanted to do with my degree's, but since I'm not a black spanish speaking female with veterans preference points...I'll keep on driving the truck. It don't pay all that bad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom