Talk about a thrill!

leavitt7

So this year was a blast to say the least! My wife and I were living in Twin Falls Idaho as I was playing basketball for the college there. I got to thinking that if I continued playing I wouldn't ever be able to hunt during rifle season. I came up with a solution to get into bowhunting. Best decision EVER! We both got set up at the local bowshop in Twin. Awesome guy who runs the place Caleb Drake took care of us very well. Does great business. Anyways after a long wait and lots of practice we found ourselves heading up to the mountain late into the night. I had no idea what we were getting into or what our surroundings looked like. Let me just say I woke up to what I thought was a long shot from mule deer country! We headed up the mountain some more to set up camp and get out for the day, We started walkng the top edge and immediately started to see deer. The canyon we hunted was way too steep to just make rash decisions on deer so we were somewhat picky. My wife had a crack at a few stalks on some nice four points but we just couldn't close the deal. This was spread out of over three days and just couldn't get her a deer and she was wanting to go back to town to "clean up a bit" she wanted to feel like a girl again instead of an ash covered stinky woman. So that morning I promised her if we got a deer we would go into town. Just like the last three mornings before we found ourselves glassing the far side of the canyon. Again we found deer right off the bat. I found a bachelor group Katelyn had stalked on a few times but noticed there was a newcomer with them. His width immediately caught my attention and I got a bit excited as I told my wife I found her buck! We packed up and got to the other side to get a closer look after putting them to bed, while we were watching him snooze Katelyn told me to go after him so that I could have a chance at a stalk. So the game plan was my wife and cousin Dallon who came along to help sat back and watched him. He was on top of the canyon where it flattens out, there was one small hill that was half covered in burnt pines and quakie saplings growing. I worked my way using the wind as my advantage around the side of the hill. I got to a point in my stalk before I came on his side of the hill and took off my shoes and said a prayer that all this would work on my first stalk with a bow EVER! As I came around the hill I saw him first and instantly started breathing harder than I would have liked, I got to within fourty yards of him and stopped. I thought to myself,"this is where I feel comfortable." Then he didn't move for what felt like five minutes but was probably like 30 seconds, I got to 30, then to 20. By now I am just rushing with adrenaline, I think to myself heck why the heck not try and get as close as possible. Mind you there was no cover between me and the bucks that were with him, I thought for sure his 7 other buddies would have caught me by now. Luck was on my side as I got to 9 yards and his buddies stood up to look at what I was doing he was facing away from me and as he started to look behind what was going on I started my draw and he stood up and snorted. But unfortunately for him that was it. I unfortunately hit him a bit too far high and forward and it was a long, long tracking job. I finally found him and later put another arrow to finish the job.He came right out at 30 inches wide not a high scorer but for my first archery deer at 9 yards can't complain too much! But what a hunt I absolutely loved it and cannot wait to go again. My wife also connected on a little two point at 22 yards!! She is an awesome hunter and she was very grateful to get to go home and take a shower!
8389img_7933.jpg

1053img_7934.jpg

9164img_7940.jpg

8015img_7954.jpg

This is after I found him again he was laying down back down in the canyon after I shot him the first time.
5263img_7930.jpg

This is the shot from where I shot him. He was just under the tree where the branches are hanging out over the ground.
2067img_7919.jpg

1850img_7904.jpg

7856img_7921.jpg

The country I thought that wasn't much of mule deer country and turned out to be awesome. Can't wait to return.

Nice buck! I remember Caleb showing me the pic and I was pumped for you! Congrats to your wife too! That's awesome, however I heard you guys moved back to Nevada for good! Oh ya nice camo! 8)

Juan

Yeah I was stoked to show Caleb! Unfortunately we did move back to Nevada for good. We miss everybody at the shop, good times there good people too. Hope all is well man! Thank you for the compliment on the camo glad I dove into that stuff.

We'll have to swap cell numbers so we can talk easier. But we should get together for a September deer hunt next season here...

Excellent story, excellent stalk and excellent first archery buck. Also, your wife did a great job getting her first buck.
I'd be interested in knowing the name of the archery shop in Twinn Falls. Would love to check it out the next time I'm in Twinn. Thanks, fatrooster.

Its called Advantage Archery best place to go for sure! Caleb will take good care of ya. Tell him Terran Leavitt sent you! Thanks Eldorado And Fatrooster!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom