Target Panic

If you shoot a Bow long enough everyone gets into a little target panic . One way I have used to get back into rhythm is to stand in front of a bail and go through the shot process with my eyes closed. Concentrate on your form, do this for a while and it gets the crap out from between your ears and you can shoot again. It's all a head game. Good luck and have fun.

RMS55 had some good advice. If you are just practicing or have anough time in a match I always just take a break and relax. I used to over consintrate and drop my bow to watch tyhe arrow hit. To break that I shot through a rubber mat.
Michael

Read the book, "Idiot Proof Archery". It is a great book and has alot of info on target panic, why its caused, and how to remedy it. It will help you be a better shooter.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-04 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]Ever have target panic? You bet I have. Luckily I have a hunting partner who competes regularly (even tried out for the olympics years back) and understands most forms of target panic. He's coached me through several types of target panic over the years.

There are several forms of target panic. The one most common to bowhunters is the inability to hold the pin on it's intended target (either bullseye or lungs of an animal). Most that suffer from this condition will find themselves unable to bring the pin all the way up to the bullseye, thus shooting low. They will generally release the arrow just under where they want it to be after their bow arm won't seem to raise any higher. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Suggested Treatment:

Knock your arrow and draw your bow and aim. You will NOT release this arrow, but simply hold your pin, at full draw, on the bullseye. After you're able to hold on the bullseye (you will if you know you are not shooting) let down and repeat this process. After completing this several times, tell yourself again, you are not releasing the arrow. However, when you have the pin on the bullseye, squeeze your release or relax your fingers. If you continually train your mind through these excercises, this form of panic generally subsides.

Many archers also try and come down to the bullseye rather than come up from the bottom. However, over time the same episode will happen if you don't follow the above treatment.

There are other types of target panic, which I won't post now (much too long) but if it's different from the form listed above please re-post and maybe someone here or myself can help you. Just remember, target panic is ALL mental.

For info, dropping your bow arm, peeking, or slightly canting your bow are improper shooting forms and not generally forms of target panic. Puncing your release is also a form of panic and I have suggestions for that too if needed. Hope this helps and good luck.

BOHNTR )))------------->

BOHNTR has some good advice. Everyone who shoots compounds for any length of time usually gets target panic. Unfortunately a lot of archers don't know how to deal with it and they eventually drop out of the sport. There is nothing as frustrating as freezing up below your target and not being able to make your shot. I was introduced to back tension releases about eight years ago(competing in 3-D shoots) and have been a firm believer in them ever since. They were not made for hunting(some guys do hunt with them though) but they often cure target panic when nothing else will. They are pretty tricky and almost even scary to use at first but the results are very impressive. Everyone I know that has tried them and didn't give up on them absolutely love them. These releases are designed to go off by using your back muscles to slowly put tension on the release and disengaging the hook that slides on the half moon of the release. In other words you focus on just aiming and the release surprises you when it goes off. There are now hundreds of styles of these releases but their principle is still the same. I won't go into how to use them here due to lack of space but talk to your local pro shop. After you master one of these releases and go back to your trigger, you will not believe the difference. I can guarantee you your shooting will improve. Nearly all professional 3-D shooters shoot these type of releases for a reason. Hope this helps.

CHIEF

Cheif,
I have heard of those a few times, are they safe? I do not think I have ever scene one used. They sound kinda dangerous to use. Do they ever go off to suprisingly and slip an arrow were it is not supposed to be? I shoot figure so the whole release thing in general is foreign to me.
Michael

I suffered with target-panic when I was younger. I used a "clickety-click" clicker devise and it REALLY helps. You draw, aim, but you will not release until you draw that last 1/4" and hear the click sound. I used one for target shooting as well as hunting and never spooked an animal with the light click sound. It's a mental trigger!!!

Bohntr, That is exactly what type of panic I am talking about.I will try what you said.I have tried a back tension release and I still can make it go off and hit low as you described.This is a terrible illness and I would'nt wish it on anyone.
Thanks for the replies from every one,Elkhuntr

Nice post BOHNTR!

I like to go through the process of "how did we get here" as well. Understanding why you have the problem is one of the best ways to figure out how to cure it.

Though most people don't want to or won't admit it, target panic, of a any kind is a FEAR OF MISSING.

We all have it and thus can't get some part of our shot to happen when it should, or how it should.

Once this disease infests itself all the way through you, you won't let yourself even bring the pin to the center, because you don't want to fire the shot and miss.

The key to solving your problem is like what has been said. Blind bale shooting. Aiming without firing so you can learn TRUST your pin FLOATING by the middle not neccesarily right on the center. Most importantly you need to learn to let the shot go off when it wants to not with a command "NOW".

If you ever find yourself saying "NOW" you end up doing drive by shootings and punching as the pin passes the middle. The final outcome of this is where you are now, where you won't even let yourself hold on the target anymore.

Trust the float and let the shot happen, trying to make it happen is a recipe for further disaster.

Cheers,
Pete

elkhuntr

I HAVE SUFFERED FROM THE SAME THING.
ITS SUCKS BAD, BECUSE I LOVE TO SHOOT MY BOW.
I HAVE BEEN TOLD ALL OF THE SAME THINGS ABOVE, AND I'AM YET TO TRY ANY, BUT EAGER TO GET STARTED.

BOHNTR, HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK WE NEED TO DRAW BACK AND NOT RELEASE? ALSO DO WE DO IT EVERY DAY?

I got this really bad after bowfishing. Now I will stand in my living room and pull my bow back concentrating on my form, let down, and do it again. My whole TV program watching is while I am working on my form (especially after a weekend of bowfishing). Practice, practice, practice. Sound familar?

Muzzy:

When I suffered from this, I would draw and aim about 7-10 times before I shot. However, if the shot was not going to develop, I would continue the process. As c3 mentioned it is ALL MENTAL and the shot should be allowed to develop. You will be amazed at how you can steady the pin on your intended target when you know you're not going to release. :)

How often should you do this? Well, this depends on how you are aiming (notice I did not say shooting) during your practice sessions. I still, at times, find myself wanting to release an arrow after not being able to steady the pin. If it appears once, I immediately begin the process described above and I can "train" my brain back to settling the pin on the target.

One final word of advice, DO NOT attempt this during less than ideal shooting conditions (wind, rain, etc.) as you are only compounding the problem. The less variables allowed, the better. Hope it helps.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Reading this stuff brings back memories. I could write a book myself on how I delt with my own case of target panic. I almost quit archery because of it. It's all mental and if you don't deal with it (like mentioned above) it can ruin you.
There are many forms, and combinations, of target panic. Mine was mainly separating aiming from the release. This brought on other symptoms too. A good friend turned me on to the clicker. The clicker did it for me. It separated the two. The clicker forced me to aim first and then force the clicker to go off (back tension). I wouldn't allow the clicker to go off until I was satisfied with my aiming. The release was automatic when the clicker went off. With a lot of practice like Roy mentioned, I beat it.
I have since removed the clicker and am doing well without it. If you shoot archery, you will have to deal with it at some time or another. Good luck. Ed F

I've actually read a book on target panic but can not remember the name of it. Something I have done to get rid of target panic before. Stand about 5 yards from a big target. Draw your bow, close your eyes and shoot. Note: it is best to do this in a pro-shop where you know your arrow will safley hit the target. This gives you a great opportunity to focus on your form and how your shot feels. It opens up a whole new perspective. I used to work at a pro-shop and used this many times to help coach people on their form, specifically the release. Just an idea. Good Luck!
>>>--------------Six

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom