Target Panic!!!

NvrEnuf

Very Active Member
I started hunting with a bow when I was about 16 or 17 years old here in UT. I hunted with my bow exclusively for the first 7 or 8 years and never had any problem with target panic. Then I started hunting with a rifle and a muzz and put the bow away for a few years. I enrolled in the dedicated hunter program here and picked my bow up again about 4 years ago and started practicing to get ready for the archery season. For some strange reason I have somehow developed a pretty harsh case of target panic. I've struggled with it for the last 3 or 4 years now. Sometimes it's worse than others. I have a few things that I'm really working on right now but I was wondering what advice you guys might have to help me try and kick this mess. All I want to do is hold the site on the target for a few seconds and then shoot when I'm ready! It shouldn't be all that freakin difficult! For some stupid reason my brain won't allow that to happen all the time and I usually shoot about 3 or 4 inches low. Nice tight groups too but they missed the mark! Unless I totally focus and concentrate I just can't make myself wait until I'm right on. Even when I am able to get things lined right up the flippin arrow is suddenly on it's way and I'm still trying to tell myself not to shoot! In that case I usually hit right were I wanted to but I still didn't decide when to shoot. Ugh! It's pi$$ing me off just thinking about it! Any ideas?

I don't even know if I'll end up with an archery tag for this year but I want to do what I can to kick this problem before I do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

NvrEnuf

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-05 AT 01:31PM (MST)[p]not sure if this will help but here is my routine.

D.A.P.

I just keep it simple by saying this over and over as i get ready to shoot. Stands for "draw" "anchor" "pin". i want to make sure i "draw" as subtle as possible. Then find my "anchor" point. And last find the correct "pin" for needed yardage. if i do all of this consistantly the pin finds the target without me thinking too much about it.

may be corny but it works well for me!

jason

How's the larger 'spot' treating you? I still suggest a close shot, less than ten yards. After you have shot that distance repeatedly and are getting the desired results, increase the yardage in small increments. It's the same idea as if you were trying the master the 'back-tension' release (only with your eyes open).

I also use the technique that Jason stated; draw, anchor, pick a spot, release.

You might try tapeing that on the inside of your upper limb. Get in the habit of reading that before each shot, and that will force you to calm down.

Try shotting at a 3D target instead of a block target. There are lots of things to try, but bottom line you are the one that will have to fix it. What works for someone else may not work for you. Keep at it, you'll get it!

'It's all about the gut pile'

pick up that damn bow and hold it like a man.
look away from the target/ body quartering 30 deg away or so quick draw your bow and wing around on your target and release as soon as your sight/ skill pases over the spot.
here's a trick i learned years ago.
find a bank / steep hill. sharpen some blow down branches say 3' ones with a natural curv.and about the dia. of a heavy pencil. blow up water balloons to about baseball stick the stick thru the blowy up thingy after its tied off.
then stick the other end in the ground. making it about hip high
use the bank as your stop.
I set up 6 or 7 of these and stand in the same spot mark out different ranges out to 60 yards.
fortunatly i have a pond that is kept mowed the the waters edge with a steep bank in my back yard that i use.
now the wind will blow these little guys around but thats where the challange comes in its makes you shoot for the exact middle, which is never out of the picture for more than a split second.
when it comes to hunting deer, elk, yots,rabits sqiurly, phesant. your up find the spot and release with cofindence.
dont spend more than a couple seconds accualy sighting in on your shots.

"Shoot that bow like a MAAAN, Dammit"!!!

LMAO...

Dude,

I've been fighting the same frikin thing for quite a few years now. It caused me to get to the point w/ my shooting, that I just simply put the bow down, and picked up shooting my muzz and rifle instead. Simply took the fun out of shooting for me...

I did quite a bit of blind bag work about 2 years ago w/ a backtension release. Was just getting to the point where I really had the backtension figured out. Grouping pretty well out to 50 yards. Never did finish though. Took the backtension release hunting that fall, and ABSOLUTELY hated it!!! So, I'm not sure what to do. I can still shoot the backtension pretty well. And, honestly at targets I would much rather shoot one that not, because I can complete every step needed for the perfect shot w/out any hint of target panic. It forces you to learn how to aim! They say it's all in the head!!! That's what the wife tells me too... ;) Honestly I have no cure for your pain. Just figured I'd pipe up, and hope someone will come along w/ "Our" solution!!! :D

NvrEnuf:

Having been in your shoes a few times over the years, I guess I can give you a few suggestions a friend of mine (a world class archer) gave me.

There are several different types of target panic, and yours is one of the most common.. A very similar type is those archers whose pin simply "freezes" just below the bullseye and no matter what they do, they can not lift it anymore. One of the best ways to "teach" your brain to react differently is to follow these few steps.

Knock an arrow, draw back and aim, KNOWING you're NOT going to release the arrow. When your brain knows this, you will be able to hold the pin on the bullseye easily. Once it's on the bull, simply let down. Repeat this technique several times until you're comfortable holding. When that occurs, still tell yourself you're not going to release, except this time begin to squeeze your trigger (if shooting release). You'll be amazed at the results.

Now speaking of squeezing the trigger, do not use the last digit of your trigger finger. Adjust your release where you are squeezing the trigger with the second digit (which has far less feel sensation). This will prevent you from punching the release AND give you a surprise release, as your not used to tracking the distance pulled on this area of your finger.

To successfully limit target panic (I don't feel you ever truly get rid of it all) you must use the above techniques EVERY time you shoot, until your ability to hold the pin where it's intended to be comes freely and without hesitation. This may take a month or two, so be patient. If not, take Elkmaster's advice and just hold the XXXX thing up! :)

Maybe Trent can read this and start shooting some sticks again out there in "Greenie" land. :)

Hope it helps and good luck.

BOHNTR )))---------->

What works for me is practicing at distances over 80 yards. It will frustrate the living hell out of you at first but when you step up to shoot at under 40 yards it will almost be instinctive. I occasionally practice up to 140-150 yards. You will lose a lot of arrows but if you stay with it your short game will become second nature.
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

yotewalk.gif

Eric

NvrEnuf:

This is a pretty big deal and it takes a ton of patience and dedication to solve. Here's the long winded explanation on how to fix the issue.

First you have to decide that you really want to solve the problem and are willing to do what it takes. The second is to admit that it is 100% part of the mental game.

Target panic is caused by the fear of missing. At first you start to punch as the pin comes by the center, then after you miss a bunch doing this type of drive by shooting, you simply put up the sight and boom off it goes with out ever aiming. The last place you end up is what BOHNTR talked about where you can't even hold the pin up to the target. It simply won't move onto the target.

Here's the steps I've learned to deal with it. I've been shooting for 22 years and have been doing tournaments for 15 or more. I still have to do this routine all the time as I become afraid of missing.

I shot many 290's Vegas rounds with my olympic recurve this year and got the panic trying to be better than that. Miss a few 10's here or there and next thing I know I'm shooting scared and actually had a few miss's completely during Vegas and Indoor Nationals. I know the feeling and it ain't fun.

1. Admit that your afraid of missing.

2. Understand that Archery is not a game of perfect! You can never ever hold perfectly still until you want it to go off.

3. Start working on your shot at 5 feet from the bail with no target. You train your shot sequence with no aiming involved. This is the critical step and takes weeks to months before you can go back to a real target at 20 yards.

4. Practice letting the sight pin float during the blind bale stage. The harder you try to hold it steady the more it will jerk around. Holding steady is 100% counter intuitive. The key is to let it wander and the shot goes off where ever it happens to be aimed at that point. This is what you are training yourself to do with the blind bail.

5. The more you trust the float and relax the steadier your sight will become.

6. After weeks of blind bale, move back to 10 feet and put up a target. Trusting the float and gaining confidence that you are very accurate when it is floating. You'll be more accurate than you ever have been if you blind bale for a month, then move back with a target.

7. Move out to 20 yards and work on letting it float. If you ever jerk or force the shot, go back to step one.

This is a long hard game, but you can win it if you are willing to work at it. Gaining confidence in shooting while that sight is moving is the object of the game. It is the key to world record archery scores. It is the basis for everything that makes you relax and become very steady.

Give me a shout if you are around the Salt Lake area. I can show you some of the tricks to making that release go off with out so much tension.

Good luck with it and let us know how you are progressing.

Cheers,
Pete

NvrEnuf,
I've had the same problem of "target panic" for many years, especially when shooting competitively.
What I found to be the very best cure is the installation of a "klickety klick" devise.
It serves several purposes:
1. ensures an exact full draw every time.
2. conditions you not to release until you hear the distinct
"klick" sound.
3. improve your target concentration.
4. increases your accuracy.
When I first used one for hunting alot of skeptics said the klick sound would spook game......NOT !!!!
No deer ever heard that sound and reacted in a negative manner!!
Most times the shaft is already through the animal within a millisecond!!
Give it a try......what have you got to lose?????
GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

BE SURE YOU ARE FCOUSING ON THE PIN AND NOT THE TARGET. Most hold lows are a product of looking over the pin to see the X. I focus on the target then refocus to blur the spot and clear up the pin, a quick center of the focused pin in the blurred colored spot, squeeze, and the arrow is on its way. Make sure you are not drawing too much weight for practice (it can always be cranked up later). The blind drills really helped me feel my release. Even at twenty yards, aquire the target and close down your eyes, make your self squueze every millimeter of creep in your release. Its amazing how accute your senses are with your eyes closed. It also sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Relax and have fun.

five_point_buck
aka Larry Pasero Jr.

I'm convinced anyone that shoots a bow for any length of time in their life is going to develop some form of target panic. There are some great comments listed above on conquering it that I won't repeat. However a few more things I've tried that have helped me to overcome it/decrease the effect of it.
1. Stand 5 yards from a big sized target you can't miss. (May want to have a buddy there the first few shots.) Draw your bow, go through all the routines with your shot and concentrate hard on your form as opposed to your aim. Heres the kicker, close your eyes as you do this. This will make you concentrate harder on your form and what your doing verses the aiming factor. Visualize the perfect shot each time you do this. Try it 10-15 times and then go back to regular shooting. Better form makes for a better shot. Target panic sometimes has to do with form.

2. Maybe take a break for a few weeks, sometimes you need a little time with it to clear your head.

Sorry this is so long, but this is what has helped me in the past to kick the problem. Good luck.

Tons of great info in the previous replies, I will just add a few simple notes that are very important to me.

1. Do not let yourself be talked into shooting to much draw weight. I used to always shoot 70lbs. The last 2 years I backed off to 60lbs, my shooting improved greatly and both years I had good pass through kills.

2. Try shooting at a target that does not have a bullseye, I find myself focusing so hard on the bull that I punch with my whole body. Try a 12" square of dark colored paper and just center on that. I could not believe how tight my groups could be without the small bullseye.

3. I dissagree with the satement of shooting at ultra long distance. My experiences showed me that I just magnified my panic while struggling to hold steady at that range.

In summery: Low poundage, Large aiming area, keep it close, mental routine talk to yourself through each step

try a true back tension release. When I say true back tension, In mean a "Triggerless" Back tension release- stay away from the back tension thumb trigger releases. I use a Colby 2 by Carter. The release will improve your focus on the spot and relieve your desire to punch the trigger or hold low in the spot.

If you look around you can find many articles on these types of releases from top archers like Randy Ulmer and Jeff Hopkins

I use a caliper release for hunting but I use the Carter Colby all year long when not in the field.

Good luck

slowbow

I don't think that there is a true solution that works for everyone. String stretch and other factors, which may not be the shooters fault. Know how to check your tuning first or know someone that does know how to. For me I start shooting instintively....close shots...progressively moving farther out each time I start shooting consistent groups. I find that you'll focus more on the release when your not concentrating on pins floating on such a small area. It can be very humbling and force you to really hunker down, not knowing you can hit a 1" circle at 20 yards...Once you regain the ability to shoot semi tight groups without sights you'll be amazed what you can do when you put the sights back on! I find that the release becomes more natural and then you can focus on that tiny little spot...when your not worried about the release.

Unbelievable! I honestly think I'm already on the road to recovery! I've tried a bunch of the things listed in this thread and I can not believe how much it is helping me. I'm going to kick this crap for good no doubt about it. Here are a bunch of the things that have worked for me personally.

c3, a bunch of the things you said have really helped me out. ?First you have to decide that you really want to solve the problem and are willing to do what it takes. The second is to admit that it is 100% part of the mental game.? No doubt about it. ?Target panic is caused by the fear of missing. At first you start to punch as the pin comes by the center, then after you miss a bunch doing this type of drive by shooting, you simply put up the sight and boom off it goes with out ever aiming. The last place you end up is what BOHNTR talked about where you can't even hold the pin up to the target. It simply won't move onto the target.? That is exactly what happened to me. Just knowing that others have experienced a similar situation helped me calm down and realize that it wasn?t just me! ?Understand that Archery is not a game of perfect! You can never ever hold perfectly still until you want it to go off. Practice letting the sight pin float. The key is to let it wander and the shot goes off where ever it happens to be aimed at that point. This is what you are training yourself to do. The more you trust the float and relax the steadier your sight will become.? Great advice!

Five_Point_Buck, I think you basically hit the nail on the head with my situation too. One of the best things I have learned from this whole thread is to focus on the pin rather than the target! I'm not sure why but this helps me a TON! I'm amazed at how accurate I can shoot even though the target is just a blur behind my pin and I'm just shooting at the big target! You also said ?Make yourself squeeze every millimeter of creep in your release.? Also helps more than I would have ever imagined! The last thing you said that has helped me a bunch is ?It sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Relax and have fun.? No doubt about it! The each time I would punch the trigger early or misfire I would get so mad at myself and it just compounded my problem with each 3 shot group.

Coonhound40, you said ?Try shooting at a target that does not have a bullseye, I find myself focusing so hard on the bull that I punch with my whole body. Try a 12" square of dark colored paper and just center on that. I could not believe how tight my groups could be without the small bullseye.? I am actually just shooting at the whole target which is a 4 foot by 3 foot chunk of yellow foam and the funny thing is my groups are better than they were with a small dot! Unbelievable!

Sneakem, part of what you said that works great for me is to ?focus on the release. Then you're not concentrating on pins floating on such a small area.? Also great advice and has helped me a bunch!

I think one other thing that has helped me as much as anything is just the knowing now that so many other people have struggled with this same thing. Even some very experienced and accomplished archers have had the same problem. Knowing that has helped me calm down and quit being so hard on myself and as a result I'm able to shoot and have fun again. I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your help and advice. I know I'm not cured by any means but I can tell just from the last couple of days that things are turning around. I know now that I can kick this mess!

Last night I shot and followed the steps below that I came up with for myself. I shot around 75 to 100 arrows total and busted 2 nocks off in the process! 90% of my groups are very tight even though I am not focusing on a particular spot. Best of all I'm having fun again!

Here are the steps I have written down that I plan to follow until I feel I have a firm handle on things.

1. Remove small target and just shoot at 4x6 chunk of foam from 40yds.
2. Draw bow and anchor.
3. Focus on pin not on target.
4. Center pin on target.
5. While bow is floating around for a few seconds place thumb on release.
6. Squeeze release slightly and continue with more and more pressure until arrow flies. (this should surprise you when it happens)
7. Replace any broken nocks on arrows and repeat steps 1 through 6! hahahaha :)

Here are a couple of pictures from last night.

1st busted nock this year!
nomorepanic4-18-05001.jpg

nomorepanic4-18-05004.jpg

Did it again about 5 minutes later!
nomorepanic4-18-05005.jpg

nomorepanic4-18-05006.jpg

My wife thought I was nuts for being happy about busting my arrows up! :)
nomorepanic4-18-05009.jpg

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all of your help.

It sure seems nice to have fun shooting again.

NvrEnuf

Sorry the pictures turned out so BIG! Not a good thing especially with such a long winded post...

NvrEnuf

I went to the indoor archery range yesterday afternoon and tried a back tension release. I personally don't feel that I would ever hunt with one but it sure did help force me to hold still until the thing released. After the 3rd shot with the back tension release I had another busted nock to fix. :)

It seems so nice to be able to just sit and wait for the bow to go off. I can't beleive how hard it was to stop punching my trigger!

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

NvrEnuf

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom