Taxidermy for Elk and Mule Deer

MrKrabs

I'm trying to plan out all my expenses for my trip to NM this year and decided I better look into taxidermy costs in case I get lucky. I've talked to one taxidermist in NM that charges $1,400 for shoulder mount closed mouth elk, $1,600 shoulder mount bugle, and $775 for mule deer shoulder mount. If I want a pedestal mount it's an additional $200 + the cost of the pedestal. This guy is extremely good so I would expect to pay more for his services, but I'm just wondering if that's the going rate for an above average taxidermist. This will potentially be my first mule deer and elk so I want to make sure I get good results.

If any of you have ideas on how to mount an elk for use in a house with 8' ceilings I'd like to hear ideas on that as well.

Thanks

Ben

Ben -

My elk is currently with Jonas Brothers, in Colorado, and they charge $1000 for a wall mount/closed mouth elk. They charge $1500 for a pedestal mount elk and then an additional $800 for a custom made pedestal! Needless to say, I went with the wall mount! I will have a local taxi modify my mount for a pedestal base and I'll build my own pedestal. My elk should be ready by the end of summer.

I believe there are better priced taxidermists out there. Some of them are just as good as the more well known (more expensive) taxi's as well.

Scott
Member: RMEF, SCI, and NRA

I would say that the average price for a good taxi job on an elk is 1200 and 650 for deer, the prices could go up from their on pedestals depending on what goes into it. IMO the best elk mount for short celings is the 90 degree turn, it is tipped back a litle and because it is not looking out into the room it wont be looking at your knees like most the other forms would on an 8 foot wall.

I Was Looking To Pay 1250 For A Closed Mouth Elk And 1350 For A open Mouth When I Killed My Elk As Far as The Mount Goes i Personally Did Not Not Like The '90 Mannikin When All Is SAid And Done I Feel That It Looked Un-natural and kind of tackie... Instead i chose a full sneak which is a alternate to the 90 it offers great wall clearance with little or no alteration to the mannikin... I MOunted My Own And Did Detachable Antlers For The Reason That I Now Can Display The Mount In Any Room In My Place Being That My Hall Ways Are Only 3.25 Ft. Wide And My Elk Is 46 inches wide. typically a deer shoulder mount will run 550 to 700 Depending on the taxi... i would suggest not skimping as you will be cherishing these mounts for a long time to come... GO All Out YOU DESERVE IT! With A 8' Ceiling They Tend To Hang Low No Matter The Mannikin.. AH WELL!

Yes that is the 90 form their are other companies that make them also, I prefer Bill Lancasters forms from Research Manikins. Others could look ok but I think that the 90 is the best on an 8 footer.

The only way I would let Jonas mount my elk is if they outsourced it to another taxidermist, and used another brand of form.

You tend to get what you pay for. Look at actual mounts that the taxidermist has done (not just photos, if possible). Determine what you will or won't settle for. You might think the $450 job is okay for a nice buck, but would be willing to pay $1000 for a buck of a lifetime.

Some taxidermists turn out works of art that are true to life in all respects. They spend considerably more time working on the mount then those who don't. Their time is valuable and worth paying for... Remember in terms of investment, a mount is like a firearm. If done right and taken care of, it can be a multi-generational heirloom. When it seems expensive, prorate the cost out over decades and see if its worth it.

mmwb:

Good post, and I wish more people had your attitude. Even if a taxi charges $300 more than his competitor, that is only $10 a year if you keep the mount 30 years, which is very realistic. My buddy has an elk he had mounted in 1985, and other than needing some refreshed airbrush work, it still looks really nice. He got what he paid for.

I have learned from sad experience that in life there are three kinds of people in the working field. This applys to all jobs, taxidermist, construction, and all other fields of work. First kind of persons is one that don't care what kind of a job they do. Second is the person that thinks they do a great job and in their minds they really think they are doing a great job, yet it is really sub par and it never improves. Third is the person that is always trying to improve, do better, will accept some criticism. This in turn makes them better at what they do. Not all taxi's start out great, but all great ones constatly work to be great.

I've done a little more research on local taxidermists and found what I think is a very good taxidermist within a couple of hours of me. He's slightly cheaper, but not much the big difference is no shipping. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with Rapalee taxidermy near Richmond, VA? The examples on their site look very good and he seems to be honest and straightforward based on our conversation last week.

Well done on shopping around before your hunt. Taxidermy prices are a very interesting game. A great elk mount can cost less than $1,000 and a poor elk mount may cost more than $1,000. Guys need to look around before the season, stop by the shops and meet the taxidermists. One taxidermist might charge $1,500 for an elk shoulder and his quality is no different than the guy charging less than $1,000.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom