TC Omega Sabots for ELK!!! PLEASE HELP

JFBNORTHERNHUNTER

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 00:29AM (MST)[p]I need help badly with some decision making?. After years of applying I drew a Muzzle Loader Tag for Bull Elk and a Muzzle Deer tag for roughly around the same time. I've only hunted deer with a muzzleloader and I am currently using a 250grain Spire Point Shock Wave Sabot using a 150grains of 777 pellets powder. My question is can I use this combination for Bull Elk also? Some People are saying change to the Bar 50cal 290 grain Tmz. Should I or am I stressing for no reason. The issue is I am not going to have time to do the sighting and practicing with two different rounds. This elk hunt is in Northern New Mexico and where I hunt I don't see a shot going passed 150 yards with the average shot around 100 yards. I really don't know too much about taking shots pass 100 yards so what is the drop of these rounds? Thank you for the advice in advance.

I've been using the 250gr bonded shockwave and 120grs of blackhorn 209 on my last two muzzy elk hunts and have had great success using my T/c prohunter

If your sure your shots will be under 150 you can go to the 290 grains. However, if you put the 250 in the lungs they are gonna die.

Stick with what you know YOU and your rifle can shoot accurately. Confidence is key.

I've seen bull elk drop with .243 slinging light bullets before.

If you don't have the time to practice, DON'T CHANGE!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-11 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]>Stick with what you know YOU
>and your rifle can shoot
>accurately. Confidence is key.
>
>I've seen bull elk drop with
>.243 slinging light bullets before.
>
>
>If you don't have the time
>to practice, DON'T CHANGE!
>
>
>
>

Good advice. If it works dont mess with it.

My wife and son (elk and antelope) have ML hunts this year and on pass thoughs advice I am trying the buckhorn powder and the TEZ bullet from barnes with a 250 grain bullet. I was also wondering if I should go to the 290 grain bullet, but, I called and talked to the tech dept at barnes and they said the 250 grain is just fine.

Would not worry to much about going to a heavier bullet. Accuracy is more important than bullets imo.

a elk shot thru the lungs wouldn't care if it was a 250 gr or a 290 gr.IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I have been shooting 250TMZ's with 100grns BH 209 in my Omega with good results.Going with the 250 TEZ this year on my elk hunt as they load easier.Know of many elk taken with the 250 Barnes,and they reach out farther than the heavier bullets.

Thanks everyone for your info and advice: I think I am going to take your advice and stay with what I know the 250GR shock wave spire point. I my just change the grain of powder to 130, or I guess I can play with the powder gain once I get to the range. Just one more thing in the buck I got last year the shock wave spire point didn't mushroom or expand the way it said it should. Has anyone had this problem? I think it just the shot was a close one and passed through too fast. Shot was within 30 yards right through both lungs.

Mt wife smoked a bull last year with 250 grn shock wave.It hit the ground without ever taking a step.And she only shoots 100gr of powder.

@ JACOB2006 thanks and if you dont mind saying what do you sight the muzzleloader scope at. i currently have it at 1.5 inches high at 50 yards. and once again thanks for the advice.

post the bull picture if you dont mind i would love to see it.

>Thanks everyone for your info and
>advice: I think I am
>going to take your advice
>and stay with what I
>know the 250GR shock wave
>spire point. I my just
>change the grain of powder
>to 130, or I guess
>I can play with the
>powder gain once I get
>to the range. Just one
>more thing in the buck
>I got last year the
>shock wave spire point didn't
>mushroom or expand the way
>it said it should. Has
>anyone had this problem? I
>think it just the shot
>was a close one and
>passed through too fast.
>Shot was within 30 yards
>right through both lungs.

So your shockwave didn't perform like you had hoped, but still gave you full penetration thru both lungs & you're not happy with it?

You're talking about a bullet that is 1/2 and inch in diameter to begin with! What does a 6MM mushroom out to? Less than 1/2"!

Dead is Dead, right?

Who cares what a bullet mushrooms out to when you're sitting at the dinner table eating a nice juicy deer tenderloin with your family?

As NMPaul stated.. bullet placement is WAY more important than bullet weight, especially when you're talking about bullets weighing over 200 grains.

As long as you're not shooting something like a V-Max at big game, you should be good to go as long as it hits where you want it to.

Good luck on your hunt & post some pictures!

you will be fine with the 250 gr bullet. my cousin used a 250 gr barnes tms on elk last year with no problems. killed a nice 6x5

@ JACOB2006, 1FastGambler, NMHUNTER thanks for the information. I guess I was just stressing the small stuff , I just don't want to have one of those hunts where I spend a whole day looking for red on brown or worse can't recover a elk because the bullet didn't cause a enough damage and heavy bleeding for easy tracking.

Hello, I have used the Barnes for elk previously. Have never used the TC Omegas, but have had great success with the Barnes. All hits were complete pass throughs, with all the bullet fully mushrooming. One shot at 150, bullet was under the skin on the opposite side. Only shooting 90 grains of powder. They have never failed me.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom