TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS??? WHERE WILL IT END??? AND WHAT'S THE WORST IN YOUR EYES???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Let's Hear Your Top 4 Worst TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS That Have Hurt The Game Herds The Worst In The Last Several Decades!

And If I Hear One Of You BAWLING About SmokePole Scopes We're Gonna Take Your Inline away From You And You Will Be Hunting With An UN-SCOPED HAWKENS!

What Ya Willing To Give Up?

Post Em Up!

Range finders.

Great tool, but also puts long yardages into perspective.

There will ALWAYS be someone who wants to push the limits. That’s how progression happens.

Garmin GPS Radios...I know I'm guilty....:cool:
When my son was young and first hunting, the Rinos were so awesome. I could turn my son loose way back in the countryside, and keep an eye on his location without worrying about him getting lost. Peace of mind while allowing for best still hunting approaches.

But once everyone was map and "orienteering" capable, we quit carrying those heavy puppies!

Optics. They have increased the hunter's ability to locate game 10-fold. They have increased lethal range of all scoped weapons. Optics are a best and worst when it comes to technology.

Imagine how hard hunting truly is if we have no optics... Imagine how many people would never step foot in the field if we didn't have optics.

Budlight! It sexually confused the bucks and bulls from staying more nocturnal and protected. Now the only ones left are 2 points out trying to pound each other in the middle of the day, only to be shot, thus reducing the herds.

1) Monster Muleys.com
Everyone tells me what I was doing wrong
2) Colorado Parks and Wildlife
They have Technology to bad they don't use it
3) Hunt Application Services
If your not smart enough to figure it out, you shouldn't be trusted with a weapon
4) Electronic Maps
If you can't read a paper map, you deserve to get lost

Atvs, razors, trail cams of course, (I wanted to smash them to pieces every time I saw one) and rangefinders. The wildlife board could have saved me $1,200 if they would have banned them and I didn’t have to upgrade.

Make rangefinders strictly for archery only, and then make power limits on rifle scopes. And no scopes on smoke poles. I bet you'd start seeing the success rates go wayy down for a bit, cause them 1000+ yard road hunters wouldn't be cracking off 5 feet from their trucks.

Rangefinders are okay for all weapon types. It's the adjustable turrets and high magnifying scopes that are the cause to long range shots for both rifle and muzzleloader.

Not as fun to miss when you're limited to holdover, and with open sight only, you're limited to 250 yds max with a muzzleloader.

These guys that brag about making 300 yd shots open sight aren't shootong for 1' X 1' vital kill zones, they're shooting 3' X 3' plates.

Elk,

It won’t end until us as a group of hunters band together to self-police ourselves to protect our hunting opportunities.

1. Bottleneck cartridges.
2. Black powder substitutes.
3. Scopes of any kind on any weapon.
4. Rangefinders.

I am starting to see long range shooting in the bird hunting world now.
TSS shot is letting hunters think they can take 50 plus yards shots at birds now.
What happened to the thrill of getting close to your game and watching/hearing their every move before pulling the trigger?

Elk,

It won’t end until us as a group of hunters band together to self-police ourselves to protect our hunting opportunities.

1. Bottleneck cartridges.
2. Black powder substitutes.
3. Scopes of any kind on any weapon.
4. Rangefinders.

I am starting to see long range shooting in the bird hunting world now.
TSS shot is letting hunters think they can take 50 plus yards shots at birds now.
What happened to the thrill of getting close to your game and watching/hearing their every move before pulling the trigger?

None of the above 4 were an issue until adjustable turrets making it easy to dope your scope came on the scene.

Best of the West started it...

Let's Hear Your Top 4 Worst TECHNOLOGY ADVANCEMENTS That Have Hurt The Game Herds The Worst In The Last Several Decades!

And If I Hear One Of You BAWLING About SmokePole Scopes We're Gonna Take Your Inline away From You And You Will Be Hunting With An UN-SCOPED HAWKENS!

What Ya Willing To Give Up?

Post Em Up!
I LOVE my unscoped, old fashioned .54. Let me be.

Make rangefinders strictly for archery only, and then make power limits on rifle scopes. And no scopes on smoke poles. I bet you'd start seeing the success rates go wayy down for a bit, cause them 1000+ yard road hunters wouldn't be cracking off 5 feet from their trucks.
5'???
Is that with, or without, stopping?

1. Computer assisted rifle scopes.
2. Drone use.
3. 'Team assisted' long range hunting. If you are good, and competent, shoot as far as you are proficient. "WE" did not harvest that elk.

Yep, Ammon, Mike, and Jason need to stay home more often and focus on their math homework.

Why not? The numbers on a turret are not magic. It’s all the same clicks. You saying it wasn’t possible to adjust a scope for a shot before? If you want to get rid of turrets you better get rid of any adjustment on scopes whatsoever because you won’t accomplish a thing. Clicks are pretty easy to count

Darn new fangled idea of adjusting sight to shoot further

LOL

IMG_4686.jpeg

roadrunner is right. Any dipstick can get set up and twist now to shoot further than they are capable. At least years ago a shooter had to know at least know entry level ballistics. Now 1000 yard rifle packages make anyone a sniper. mtmuley
That I agree with. But getting rid of turrets won’t get rid of a 1000 yard shot

Why not? The numbers on a turret are not magic. It’s all the same clicks. You saying it wasn’t possible to adjust a scope for a shot before? If you want to get rid of turrets you better get rid of any adjustment on scopes whatsoever because you won’t accomplish a thing. Clicks are pretty easy to count

Show me where I said it wasn't possible...

LOL.

Darn new fangled idea of adjusting sight to shoot further

LOL

View attachment 114811

Not a turret on a scope. 'C' for effort though.

?

Long Range rifles / Rangefinder advancement. Range dial and shoot. Factory fast twist barrels and factory high BC bullets have made this even easier off the shelf.
Now back to what I was trying to do. Have some peace and quiet while I load up some hot 7mm ultra 195 Bergers at 3125 fps in my stalking rifle...

Not a turret on a scope. 'C' for effort though.
But it does say the evil “long range” on it

You guys are funny thinking it’s a recent concept. Man’s been seeing how much farther they can shoot since the atlatl

And all scopes can be adjusted to shoot long range. No turret needed. So you hypocrites asking to get rid of that equipment better lead by example and take them off your rifles. Or is it all just virtue signaling?

LOL

You guys are funny thinking it’s a recent concept. Man’s been seeing how much farther they can shoot since the atlatl

And all scopes can be adjusted to shoot long range. No turret needed. So you hypocrites asking to get rid of that equipment better lead by example and take them off your rifles. Or is it all just virtue signaling?

LOL
Like I said, it is going to take ALL hunters to give up some technology in order to preserve hunting opportunities, a few cannot save it for all.

Little different the wherever you dug up my quote says. Talk about making sure the sport has a future? Tell a 16 year old they can’t have a scope on their rifle….

Little different the wherever you dug up my quote says. Talk about making sure the sport has a future? Tell a 16 year old they can’t have a scope on their rifle….
Okay, no problem.
They will be a better hunter for it, not just a better shooter.

LOL

Not the point in having dummy proof use of adjustable turrets. Any range can be dialed in, not just long.

Good luck hitting a target 200 yds away when your scope is "set up" for 1000 yds. Good luck quickly adjusting zero from 280 yds to 690 yds when the target is on the move in between those two distances.

That is what is being discussed with adjustable turrets and the impact it has had...

Well I can tell they raise H3ll on coyotes in the flat open fields too.
It can roll them up at 80 yds so Yea I like what they do.
That being said they aren't for everyone.

Not the point in having dummy proof use of adjustable turrets. Any range can be dialed in, not just long.

Good luck hitting a target 200 yds away when your scope is "set up" for 1000 yds. Good luck quickly adjusting zero from 280 yds to 690 yds when the target is on the move in between those two distances.

That is what is being discussed with adjustable turrets and the impact it has had...
It’s such a dumb conversation to begin with. Guys all up in arms about something they have been using for years but didn’t realize if you apply a mathematical equation to it’s already functioning mechanisms you can turn the little thingy on the top and shoot farther…

literally nothing changed about how the scope works and it’s new technology killing the sport. Hilarious

The worst thing to happen to our game animals is what we are all using right now, the internet.

Those of you complaining about long range hunters or the ability to shoot greater distances are either being disingenuous, feel the need to complain, or simply have no idea what you’re talking about. Who would care to wager that more animals are wounded each year under 200 yds vs over 600? Any takers???

The amount of people who come to the range once a year to sight in the ol’ gun for deer season and shoot 4” groups at 100yds far outweigh those who shoot long range. Those same fools who shoot 4” groups at 100yds are the ones who shoot at moving game while “sneaking” through the woods getting close to their game. It’s hilarious the people who spout off about long range this or that but don’t talk about the MAJORITY of hunters who hunt “normal” ranges but can’t shoot for ****. As a percentage of each group I’d bet money the long range shooters spend way more time and effort perfecting their craft than the others. At my range we have 3 long gong ranges 1000, 1400, and 1200 yards. Our “normal” sight in range is paper out to 200 and then it’s gong to 500. Go out on any day, especially during the open to the public sight-in weekends, and watch the users at each range and tell me who you’d rather have shooting at an animal.

Oh, and to the person above who said it’s ok for archers to continue using range finders but not rifle hunters, why? Do think rifle hunters are the only ones who have increased their shooting distances over the years? ?

It’s such a dumb conversation to begin with. Guys all up in arms about something they have been using for years but didn’t realize if you apply a mathematical equation to it’s already functioning mechanisms you can turn the little thingy on the top and shoot farther…

literally nothing changed about how the scope works and it’s new technology killing the sport. Hilarious

Using a handheld electronic device to calculate a shooting solution, yes.

The use of tech to crunch the numbers in the blink of an eye to figure trajectory of the parabolic flight of the bullet with the addition of modern laser etching for custom made turrets based on computer generated output of parabolic projectile flight, thereby allowing the inexperienced shooter to dial in and hold on target.

Yeah, it's had an impact.

Hey MrShane?

How Long Has It Been Since Van Wagenens Sold Guns & Ammo?

Are They Still Open?
So long ago I can’t even remember!
I used to shoot these out of an over under 10 gauge.
I only have one hand and got tired of getting kicked in to next week and sold it.
Now I do all my Goose hunting with a 20 and a 28 for upland game.
MUCH more enjoyable.

Using a handheld electronic device to calculate a shooting solution, yes.

The use of tech to crunch the numbers in the blink of an eye to figure trajectory of the parabolic flight of the bullet with the addition of modern laser etching for custom made turrets based on computer generated output of parabolic projectile flight, thereby allowing the inexperienced shooter to dial in and hold on target.

Yeah, it's had an impact.
Boxes of bullets come with a drop chart on them. No phone needed

Modern day, high end optics combined with modern day, high end rangefinders, rifles and ammo give the hunter an unfair advantage over the game.
The same goes for two way electronic communication devices.

If you really want to know what the perceived “downfall” of hunting has been it’s not technology and it’s something you’re all guilty of.

It was the shift to trophy hunting, hunting for antlers instead of just hunting. Back in the day guys just hunted. Two point, three point or whatever, it was just hunting. Proof? Go read some of the story’s on record book bucks. The Idaho record white tail the guy had to be talked out of shooting the doe next to it. He wanted some meat.

How much bitching did you hear? Now, if you don’t get your chance at your 190 buck all this tech is just ruining it. What if the standard was still just a filled tag? Still be a problem? I don’t think so, he’ll I think passed up 40 bucks last year and ate the tag. I guess I should be crying about what someone else has in their backpack huh?

Last edited:

While I get the math and how a scope works, a lot of hunters don't. Maybe it's not technological advances but the ease of use that is to blame. mtmuley

While I get the math and how a scope works, a lot of hunters don't. Maybe it's not technological advances but the ease of use that is to blame. mtmuley
Again, I can’t disagree with this. You just can’t call something that’s existed since a scope has had any sort of MOA adjustment whatsoever to it “new technology “

I Can't wait For the 37 Nosler To Show Up!

There Won't be a F'N Left To Hunt With it by then but......................!

Who remembers when they had a deer season? It lasted from about Sept.15th to October 15th. No archery season, no late archery season, no smoke pole season. No late season anything. No trophy drawing zones, no nothing, just deer season. The deer had 11 months without being hunted or harassed.

The first limited entry drawings were implemented to protect areas with low deer numbers, at least in California.

All I'm saying is that deer hunting has changed a lot over the years and not for the betterment of the deer. Just too many people, I guess.

Right On Eel!

Now They Are Hunted/Harassed 11 Months out of the Year!

Who remembers when they had a deer season? It lasted from about Sept.15th to October 15th. No archery season, no late archery season, no smoke pole season. No late season anything. No trophy drawing zones, no nothing, just deer season. The deer had 11 months without being hunted or harassed.

The first limited entry drawings were implemented to protect areas with low deer numbers, at least in California.

All I'm saying is that deer hunting has changed a lot over the years and not for the betterment of the deer. Just too many people, I guess.

Not sure it will ever end? Now there is AI.

I dislike trail cameras , drones and all the fancy crap for hunting. If ya got it, great but not for hunting.

What if the worst technology advancement hasn't been invented yet??

In the late 80's I met a gentleman while hunting mule deer in Utah. We were both shooting recurve bows so we kind of hit it off. We've kept in touch over the years and many times the discussion of weapon technology and other hunting related advancements have been the topics of our annual visits.

He has a family member who is a well known successful outfitter and has benefitted greatly success wise with all the advancements that have been made. While he's happy for his relatives success in locating trophy animals for his clients to kill he also has honest reservations and concerns about all the technology needed to be successful, thus drawing in high paying clients.

In our last discussion about this he said something that made me laugh but was unfortunately possibly true.

He said " I'm convinced that if someone sometime creates a product that you spray on your clothes and not only dissolves all your scent but also makes you invisible for a time that many people would use it . They'd locate a trophy animal--- walk up to it with their weapon of choice and kill it. Wait till they're visible again and proudly take pictures, videos, write success stories, magazine articles and maybe even start a series of hunting pod-casts."

Is this the real attitude and direction technology is playing a part in taking us? I hope not.

It Hasn't!

Won't Be Long & Heat Seeking Should Show Up!

How About Shooting Around Corners/Trees/Etc!

How About a SMART Bullet?

In the late 80's I met a gentleman while hunting mule deer in Utah. We were both shooting recurve bows so we kind of hit it off. We've kept in touch over the years and many times the discussion of weapon technology and other hunting related advancements have been the topics of our annual visits.

He has a family member who is a well known successful outfitter and has benefitted greatly success wise with all the advancements that have been made. While he's happy for his relatives success in locating trophy animals for his clients to kill he also has honest reservations and concerns about all the technology needed to be successful, thus drawing in high paying clients.

In our last discussion about this he said something that made me laugh but was unfortunately possibly true.

He said " I'm convinced that if someone sometime creates a product that you spray on your clothes and not only dissolves all your scent but also makes you invisible for a time that many people would use it . They'd locate a trophy animal--- walk up to it with their weapon of choice and kill it. Wait till they're visible again and proudly take pictures, videos, write success stories, magazine articles and maybe even start a series of hunting pod-casts."

Is this the real attitude and direction technology is playing a part in taking us? I hope not.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom