Teddy Roosevelt Safari

CFMuley

This is a list of animals killed by Theodore Roosevelt and his son on one Safari funded by the Smithsonian. Can you imagine what the bill would add up to these days?

B7600B2C-390C-44A7-95E4-C848F61CD4E5.jpeg

Quite the conservationist….. the same fella who said “I’m not a good shot but I shoot often”.
Not supporting this or condemning it, but this is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page on the expedition.

Some context when considering whether the quantity of animals taken was excessive is that the animals were gathered over a period of ten months and were procured over an area that ranged from Mombasa through Kenya, to Uganda and the Southern Sudan—a distance traveled, with side trips, of several thousand kilometers. The diversity of larger mammal species collected was such that few individuals of any species were shot in any given area, and the large mammals collected had a negligible impact on the great herds of game that roamed East Africa at that time. Apologists for the Roosevelts have pointed out that the number of each big game species shot was very modest by the standards of the time: many hunters of that period, for example, such as Karamoja Bell, had killed over 1,000 elephants each, while the Roosevelts between them killed just eleven. In making this comparison it has to be remembered that the hunters weren’t collecting specimens for museums, but were occasionally employed by landowners to clear animals from land they wanted to use for plantations, and frequently as ivory hunter with or without hunting permit or licenses.

Basically this was part of a giant expedition funded by the Smithsonian to collect specimens for the museum and for study. Over 11,000 animals were killed by hunters or trapped, and it took 8 years for all of it to be cataloged. Many went to the Smithsonian while duplicates went to other museums.

He was playing catch up! A Brit named R. Gordon-Cumming spent 5 years shooting stuff and brought it all back to England to display in 1848. He had 30 TONS of stuff shipped back from Africa!!! My kinda trophy room. :)

You also have to remember that safaris then had between 30-100 people, and they were shooting a lot of game to eat!!

You also have to remember that safaris then had between 30-100 people, and they were shooting a lot of game to eat!!
Interesting to add that up....say there were 75 people in the party....not unrealistic at all for the nature and personalities of this safari....

I could easily see each man consuming a pound a day of meat....

300 days x 75 =22,500#....lots of those animals aren't huge....so say 100# per carcass...

225 animals just for food....

Interesting to add that up....say there were 75 people in the party....not unrealistic at all for the nature and personalities of this safari....

I could easily see each man consuming a pound a day of meat....

300 days x 75 =22,500#....lots of those animals aren't huge....so say 100# per carcass...

225 animals just for food....
The info I found said that they consumed 262 animals just for the hunting party. I couldn’t find anything on what they did with the rest of them, but I think it’s fair to assume that some meat was given to the locals and some was probably chucked.

The info I found said that they consumed 262 animals just for the hunting party. I couldn’t find anything on what they did with the rest of them, but I think it’s fair to assume that some meat was given to the locals and some was probably chucked.
yeah.....no ice back then...I bet they ate a lot of pretty rank meat and lost a lot....including the specimen parts they were collecting for the museums...hides

yeah.....no ice back then...I bet they ate a lot of pretty rank meat and lost a lot....including the specimen parts they were collecting for the museums...hides
Probably so, I can’t imagine the amount of salt alone they’d need to take just to try to preserve the hides.

I find it amazing that he could kill anything over there, as he only took an '03 Springfield in 30-03 and an 1895 Winchester in 405 Win. Everyone knows that you have shoot magnums to kill anything!!! :)

a reproduction with the steel shotgun style butt plate.......the originals with the crescent butt plate is even worse.....

After 10 months of hunting in Africa, actually looks like they were fairly selective. Only 2 Dikdik between them. Kermit shot 7 cheetah & 3 leopard & TR-0 is kind of interesting

More likely a Kori Bustard. Largest flying bird, and fairly common in Southern Africa. See them all the time on my friends ranch. They are huge, and get up to 40#!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom