teflon coating

Elmacho

Hey guys

Was thinking of doing this to my rifle, as I am going to add a new scope too.

How tough is it?
Oil resistent?
Is it worth it?
What should it cost?
Any adverse effects to performance?

Thanks for your input.

Mark

What would be the reason for the teflon coating? Rifles will last forever the way they are made if you maintain them. I'm just curious why you'd do that. I've personally never heard of doing that.

Steve

Teflon coating is just one of about 5-6 different types of finish you can apply to a firearm. It is very much oil resistant, but will scratch if rubbed up against a hard surface. the same as if you use a metal spatula on a teflon frying pan.
Cost is a little higher then the standard hot bluing. I would not do it unless your rifle needs to be refinished becasue of poor finish condition. Also I would do a search for other alternatives to teflon and read the pros & cons and see which one might suit you best. There has been some newer finishes over teflon and one of them may be better for what you want.

RELH

My main reasoning is to nock down the high gloss finish, and if it protects as well...great. I am about to buy a new VXIII for it and want it in matte, but am trying to keep the whole rifle looking the same. I know its a bit vein, but oh well....I dont want to go out andf buy a new rifle in matte as the one I have shoots great.....ruger M77 in 7 rem mag

Mark

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-08 AT 11:16AM (MST)[p]Take a look at some of the finishes ROBAR in Phx, AZ uses at http://www.robarguns.com/additional_finishes.htm Their main business is coating for the aircraft industry, but they also have a booming side business relative to firearms.

I had them do my circa 1965 .264 M70 with the electroless nickle in a satin no-glare finish. They also put a McMillan synthetic stock on it. It basically needs no lubrication. -TONY

Here's what it looked like last month in Colorado after 15 years of use with the new finish, including many hours of being toted in a saddle scabbard.

TonyMandilebuck3opt.jpg

Here it is in NZ in 2004.

TonyMTahr1.jpg

Here it is in Africa in 2003.

bkwildebeeste2.jpg

I have done two guns in teflon now and love it. I also did the muzzle break on my 300 wsm. The one that I like the best is my Springfield XD 40. The finish was coming off of the slide due to use of a kydex holsters. The teflon is so much more durable than than the factory blueng. I like teflon also because it is a true black, not blackish blue like factory. I would highly reccomend this for your gun. The guy that I had do it is named Lee Mecham and is out of Spanish Fork, UT. His business is called Black Ice Coatings. Cost is very reasonable and well worth the $$. His gunsmith takes apart every working peice of the action and those get coated as well. No more gunk in the action period, with flawless smooth movement.

My brother got his AR-15 done and to clean it all he does is blow it out with compressed air, and run a few patches down the barrel.

Let me know if you have any other ??'s.

www.blackicecoatings.com

}}-SLIVER-->

If you are serious about finishing the rifle and wanting a non glare matte finish. Teflon would be a good option. Also as sliver mentioned, having the interior parts also coated will aid function as teflon will reduce friction on moving parts. just be sure you tell them you are after a matte finish on the exterior of the rifle.

RELH

OutdoorWriter
The picture of the tar is incredible. That is a hunt I want to do some day could you give me some details.

Archery is a year round sport!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-08 AT 02:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-08 AT 02:57?PM (MST)

Check out the Remington XCR if you want a brand new rifle with this kind of a finish. With the Hogue grip pads on the stock it feels really good and looks way cool. ROY LIKEY!

478a887375565573.jpg

Here it is in the RMEF edition:

478a893577913013.jpg

You can go here for the Specs:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR.asp

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom