Tehama Wildlife Area!

Buckoff

Well I drew the wildlife area too. Looks like G1 will be an epic hunt. As lucky as I have been this season now I am hoping for weather. Thank you for all the advice I have received and am still interested in any other tips anyone would have on the TWA. I will definitely post any successful hunt pics. Headed up this weekend to familiarize myself with the area.

That's good news. It increases your chances tremendously. Used to be some good hunting and a campground on what's called the middle slab of Antelope creek. There?s lots of little Jeep roads between Antelope and Mill creeks. Be prepared for some rough riding though. It's mostly lava rock. Takes about two hours to go ten miles in a vehicle. Quads are faster.

I hunted it about 20 years ago with a pig tag. I was very impressed with the numbers of deer I saw in the Spring time. Good luck!

>Yeah I got quads.. wondering if
>helmets are a requirement up
>there.. sometimes it is a
>ticket without

Why would you ride without a helmet even if it was legal? Shocks me how many folks ride without a helmet. I think it'd shock people how many are killed or permanently injured on ATV/UTVs that aren't wearing helmets.

If you're ever out west and you see someone riding a Honda Foreman with a helmet, there's about a 90% chance it's me!

>>Yeah I got quads.. wondering if
>>helmets are a requirement up
>>there.. sometimes it is a
>>ticket without
>
>Why would you ride without a
>helmet even if it was
>legal? Shocks me how
>many folks ride without a
>helmet. I think it'd
>shock people how many are
>killed or permanently injured on
>ATV/UTVs that aren't wearing helmets.
>
>
>If you're ever out west and
>you see someone riding a
>Honda Foreman with a helmet,
>there's about a 90% chance
>it's me!

Thanks dad

For the youth hunt, helmets were required. I believe that is the requirement for the wildlife area. Their website will tell you what you need.
It's a cool hunt! Congrats!

hwy

I ride hours a day on ATV's without a helmet. Most of the time with my daughter next to me. I've had friends die on them. However, show me the stats where helmets would have saved more lives. Otherwise, buckle up and worry about yourself and not controlling others.

hwy

Thank you! Although I would love to make all this about helmets lol I am about to pull out. Do you have any information on lower hogs back road out of Red Bluff? I am staying there and it looks like a direct shot into the heart of the TWA. I would like to use that rather than 36 to the top if possible but am pulling a 12 foot trailer and with my truck I am 32 feet long.. didn't know the shape of the lower hogs back.. thanks for any information.. I will post some pics on this thread after tomorrow?s scout run ?

Hogsback road is usually not maintained and it can be really rough. It's also more difficult to access the TWA from that way. I'd take the extra time and come in from 36. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

hwy

Used to hunt tehama years ago(80's). Camped at the slab, hunted Indian ridge(above the road), crossed creek at slab(used hip boots), left camp in the dark. hunted the ridges to the east and west, very few hunters on that side of the creek. Took several good bucks, but of coarse that was 30 years ago.

"and I put three rounds into Kate McCannon"

I would never call G1 epic. Even with the Tehama pass. With good weather, snow in Chester, rain at Paynes creek it can be decent. Don't pass many bucks, you may only have a chance or 2. I spend a lot of time in the area. Get off the quad and hike a ridge over. Rattling and grunt tubes will work, stick with it. BH1

I can agree.. after scouting the area it's a tough hunt.. I have a few areas scoped out but it is all weather depending.. this area is rugged for sure. Heavy in predators and not much else going for deer.. went all weekend with only seeing a fawn kill.. no deer and plenty of predator scat.. all that being said.. cool area that I will not be in outside of a storm. After covering the whole area.. getting beat to snot.. I feel if there is no weather I will be on the eastern border of C4 in the Chester area and such.. but all being said.. an epic scout me and my boy will never forget.. still looking for good tips but have some great local info and pics of dandy bucks in those areas said.. here are a few pics of the weekend!

I can agree.. just tried to reply and it didn't post so forgive me if this is a duplicate.. here is the reality.. the TWA is a tough hunt.. even with weather I am reluctant to spend a bulk of time there..we covered a great amount of ground and I must say it is brutal.. the terrain makes it tough to make a play on a deer even if you glass it. Furthermore it is loaded with predators.. we saw no deer and only a fawn kill... actually spotted a mountain lion and plenty of cat ##### and scat from bear and cats.. all that being said.. I will not rule out the hunt in the TWA. We covered lots of ground.. hogsback, Ishi, powerline, grapevine, etc.. the grounds are tough.. I live in Mendocino county and hunt all over rugged country but this is a step above.. literally a breeding ground for cats and bear.. I would hope to find the migratory herd up by plumb creek and at this point feel like that's the best play on the TWA.. however lower powerline looks good if a guy is ready to stomp and jump a deer.. some of the upper brush patches should produce deer but you'll have to step on them to get a shot.. I hope I am wrong.. talked with some locals and got a lot of good tips about the outer limits of C4 and am headed back up for a scout in those areas if weather doesn't happen. However the locals still say if there is weather..the TWA is good

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom