Tent questions?

hunting1

I love wall tents, but they are heavy and take up too much space. I want a second tent for a bit more space. Any opinions on the Cabelas Big Horn II or the Alaknat II? Would you recomend them as a 3-4 season tent? I know they will condensate a bit and do not insulate as well, but storage and set up are why I am looking. Thanks!

Had a Alaknak tent and sent it back. Too flimsy and did not weigh any less with pole kit then a canvas tent. It is just nylon like a pup tent. Have a bud who has one and it is a super careful nightmare. He saved a little money, but wishes he would have just got a canvas wall tent.

i also had a Alaknat II it was junl sweat like crazy everything inside the tent got wet. never again will use one like that!
earnhardt-3-logo.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-07 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]I have the alaknak and have been very pleased with it. Have not had any problems with moisture. It insulates well enough for me, very hot inside with the stove going.
I mostly like it because it is very easy to set up, I can set it up now by myself in about 20 minutes.
It is a 4 season tent, have used it during very heavy snowfall and have not had any problems.

Remember with Cabelas products, often you are getting a product that is made a little better than walmart products but not much. But with excellent advertising it sounds like they are as good as the higher quality made products. After many years of buttons coming off, cheaply made zippers, and generally not having their name brand products live up to their hype, I would just say beware you get what you pay for.

T

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-07 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]If there's any kind of wind, you'll be in for a LONG night! My cousin and I took his Bighorn II on an antelope hunt last year down to Cisco and I spent the first night in the tent, and the next two nights in the truck....

Hi, my opinion is stay away from those light weight tents. I elk hunnted with a guy last season that had the Cabelas Alaknat and it sweated bad!! He even had a small wood stove. I am shopping now for a new wall tent and you are right they are bulky but you can't beat them.. Hope this helps some.

Don Woods

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom