thank you, Idaho!!

Goldberg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]Edit- guess i am clueless on how to post a pic- will try again later!
wanted to post a picture, and tell folks "thank you" for the help I was provided on my Idaho hunt. I hope that i have posted the pics correctly, as this is the first time ever for actually starting a thread, or adding pictures!!
We had a great time, hunted 8-9 days, can't remember for sure- made a lot of trips!!
I applied for this hunt without knowing to much about the area, but with the help I received, I was able to find a pretty good number of critters.
I met a couple of you folks, even went out for a day with one of the guys that helped me. It was a great time.
I also found that I was treated EXTREMELY well by all the local residents that I met. Everyone I talked to was very helpful, very friendly, and very willing to help out with info on places to hunt.
The first day out, we spotted a near record book sized bull, bedded with about 60-80 cows, and 12-15 other bulls. We made a plan, started hiking, and 2-1/2 hours later, we started getting close. All of a sudden, they all started getting up, getting that "we are out of here" look, and lined out and took off. We were clueless. NO way they saw or heard us, wind right, conditions perfect, but they were still gone. We finished heading to the spot we had picked out to shoot from, and there were 2 ATVs sitting there, came up from the back side on a closed 2-track. These guys did not get any shooting, or may not have even seen the elk. Oh, well, it was a pretty intense sneak. I had already figured where I was going to hang the mount!!
As we headed out that afternoon, a big old bull came across the road in front of us. He crossed through a couple of camps, right in front of my truck, and then cut back parallel to us. While I was trying to get my rifle out of the case, in the back of the truck- cuz I was thinking I was done hunting for the day- My buddy jerked out his video cam and started filming. Short story- he got some good video, and I have some empty brass to add to my stock pile.
My son and I were able to get these two, a 5x5 and a 4x4, at the same time. After busting our tail hiking after them, these crossed in front of us while we were getting ready to make another 2 our hike to get on some we had seen earlier. I'll take luck any day!!
And, as a side bar- while I was out on our last day, my cousin from the Boise area called me, he had been elk hunting in the Riggins area last week, and killed his first ever bull, and his boy shot a wolf!!! So we had a good week!!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12 AT 11:04PM (MST)[p]
Congrats Goldberg its been a great year for all of us! I took the liberty of posting the picture of your elk that wouldn't upload. Sounds like the two of you had an awesome time.

3133img_20121127_094450.jpg

805wolf.jpg

SWEET!! thank you, cuz!!
You have to get back on here now and tell the wolf story, and your Dad's elk story. Wish I had been there!!!
Father son teams gettin' it done!!!!

Dude you shot a wolf! My eyes about bugged out of my head when I realized it was you, congrats to your dad on his bull and to you on your wolf! Hope all is well...

An old friend from BYUI

I sent you a PM

Gold, congrats on you guys hunt. Ry was pretty excited for ya. Bummed about the camera though. Thats a pretty wolf as well.

Yelum

Nice job guys, I'm glad you found some. Even better doing it together. I enjoyed getting a chance to talk with you and Matt the other day, stop in any time your around.

I guess I need to explain what happened with the wolf. My brother and I were deer hunting in Unit 23. We were walking up a ridge at around 6500 feet in probably 3-4 inches of snow. There were fairly fresh wolf tracks following the ridge we were on so we figured some were in the area but we were looking for deer. There were patches of timber along the ridge and as we were heading through a group of trees all of the sudden about 20 yards in front of us two wolves came around a large tree and were coming down the ridge. They immediately saw us and were just as suprised to see us as we were to see them. The next sequence of events happend really fast as the two wolves ran up and over the opposite side of the ridge out of sight. My brother and I ran up to the top to look off the other side, (about 10 yards to the top) and one of the wolves had stopped and was standing broadside about 150 yards angled off down the hill, while the other wolf ran straight to the bottom (we never could get a shot at that one) I took the first shot at him and of course I was so excited and shaky I missed. He took off running down the mountain and then my brother shot and missed. I then shot again when he was about 225 yards away on a dead run and shot him through the head (lucky). He ended up being a good sized male and after he was skinned out measured 84 inches from end of tale to tip of nose. I wish I could say there was more strategy and skill involved with finding the things but it really was just incidental. Anyways, he was number 13 killed in the McCall Wieser zones.

Ron,

I believe Goldberg is the gentleman on the right wearing the gray beard. We met briefly the Tue before he killed these elk while going in with my boy and TWSNOW to get there 2 bulls off the mountain.

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-12
>AT 11:04?PM (MST)

>
3133img_20121127_094450.jpg

>
>

Hey Goldberg,

Glad to see you guys filled your tags. We were the two younger kids sitting on the spotters that talked to you and your buddy from out of state briefly on the morning of November 12th. That was just a couple hours before we killed these two, first bulls.

4139elk.jpg

Where did you end up having success? PM me if you don't mind.

Bkpkhunter and twosno18,, I was pretty impressed that you guyswere able to get on those bulls so quickly. I talked to twosno18 for quite a while as you were glassing. I appreciate your help, and wish we had more time to shoot the breeze, but I would have been in a hurry too, if my young hunters were dealing with two down!!

Idaho Ron- I AM the old guy With the grey beard!! We had a great time, and what with my boy Matt living there in IF now, I hope we can spend quite a few more years hunting in Idaho. I figured out we spent 18 days hunting together this year. Makes a dad pretty happy!!!

I am pretty much a novice hunter, and get pretty excited about it. I have only been hunting for 47 years, cuz like you guys, i started when i was 12. hopefully by the time I get 60 or 70 under my belt, I will settle down a little!!!

Again, thank you folks for all the help you gave us, and hope I can return the favor soon!!!

Oh, ya, Ron, that was us in the white dodge. Wish I knew who you were in the field, would have loved to BS for a day!

To be honest, that was TWSNOW18(aka Matt) and my son Justin in the pic with those two bulls. They covered about 1800' of elevation then belly crawled a hundred yards in the snow without their jackets to get in position to make the shots......all while I sat at the bottom in my comfy chair, drinking coffee and eating snickers while watching the show through my spotter.

Oh to be young.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom