The best game meat?

4corners_sportsman

What would you guys consider to be the best wild game meat killed by a hunter? I mean a deer, elk, sheep, bear, mountain lion, waterfowl, wild pig, squirrel, rabbit, beaver, field mouse etc etc. I have eaten a variety of game meats and I would still consider a venison backstrap to be the best game meat, better than any beef cut in my opinion.

For some reason domestic beaver always makes me think of the ocean.

Years ago I used to think elk was the best of all red meat. a hundred elk later now nothing beats a good angus steak. but to your question, the best wild game I've ever had was mountain goat. which surprised me , I would have left the meat had it been legal. I wouldn't eat domestic goat with someone elses mouth.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Blue Grouse from the high country. Eating berries and dandelions. Large white breast meat. Second to that. I would say elk , "cant figure people down there eating hog when they could be feeding on elk."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-15 AT 10:53PM (MST)[p]My sheep had the mildest flavor of any wild game I've eaten. However, I'd take a 1" think piece of prime rib cooked medium rare over the best wild game steak anyone on here has ever served up...

>For some reason domestic beaver always
>makes me think of the
>ocean.
>
>Years ago I used to think
>elk was the best of
>all red meat. a
>hundred elk later now nothing
>beats a good angus steak.
> but to your question,
> the best wild game
>I've ever had was mountain
>goat. which surprised me
>, I would have left
>the meat had it been
>legal. I wouldn't eat domestic
>goat with someone elses mouth.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

JUDAS!

How much CROWN did that take to make Mountain Goat taste like the Best Meat of all?

I'm Living & Dieing with the Choices
I've Made!

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/us
er_photos3/9001hank2.jpg

Never had Mt Goat, Never turn down a Beaver (domestic or wild) But the best is a Big Fat Mule Deer Buck ! Alot of meat quality is how you take care of it, cant throw in the truck for days, need to skin it as soon as possible and cool it down. Also love a Grouse spun on a stick over a camp fire.
CC

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15 AT 07:22AM (MST)[p]Ruffed Grouse and Mtn Quail...but we like all game meat...especially a nice fat spike Elk...

A New Mexico Oryx (Gemsbok) is far superior to any wild game with Coues deer a close second. I've tried most everything else from Alaskan Mtn. Goat to Quebec caribou, to WY moose to CO and NM antelope, to NM Rocky Mtn. Bighorn sheep and everything inbetween.

FOE ME .....IT IS CARIBOU,....FOLLOWED BY SHEEP, MOOSE,LOPE,ELK. I GIVE MULE DEER AWAY AS FAST AS I CAN...............YD.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15 AT 10:34AM (MST)[p]August mule deer, young antelope killed on a cold windy day and calf elk are the ones I remember

I've had a string of good luck the past few years taking a few big mature bull elk...without a doubt, NOT my favorite game meat.

Pronghorn has been one of my favorites, but good luck trying to convince many other hunters of that. The perception of Pronghorn is very two sided, you either love it or hate and I don't know why that is.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-15 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]Mountain lion is the "pork" of the hills, very good!

Moose, buffalo and elk differ in flavor but are all three really good, yet a little tough to be called the best.

Pronghorn is my wife's favorite and she'd rather have it than anything that walks the earth. It's overall the most tender and I appreciate that fact along with the flavor. (You have to get the guts out and the hide off to preserve the fine flavor otherwise you're going to eat junk)

Mountain goat is okay but down the list for me too.

The winner is:
Wild mountain sheep... on a stick over a willow fire whilst I'm about 200 miles from the nearest road! Hands down. It's still delicious and tender even when eaten in civilization too.

Although the Nebraska pheasant and striper from Powell that I had last nigh was pretty damn good too! ha

Zeke

>A New Mexico Oryx (Gemsbok) is
>far superior to any wild
>game........

+1. Oryx meat is WAY better than any other game i have tried.

Antelope 1st followed by pheasant. But for big game it all depends on where the animal lived. For instance an elk raised in the lower sage country is way different than an elk raised in a meadow. That meadow elk will be way better table fair.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

...yep,Mtn Lion,Carabou,..Acorn feed blacktails and hogs....all great stuff.
I'm thinking of trying Oryx...........mmmmmmmmmmm

For me and mine we don't eat those that eat meat. So no Cat, Bear, Squirrel. Elk has been my go to meat. My favorite meal in the world is an Elk Burger cooked in bacon grease, topped with garden fresh tomato and saut?ed onions. As far as birds go quail, pheasant and blue grouse are at the top of the list. Moose is really good if it is a mountain moose and not a bottom dwelling moosie moose.

DZ

Three meals came to mind when I started reading this thread. The farther I read, more and more came to mind. Had some Mt. Lion jerky once, thought it was good until my buddy told me it was Lion..,I did apologize for spitting it out on his pant leg..
#1 Young pine hen (ruff grouse, older ones get "tuff as boiled owl") boned out cooked in Dutch Oven with Mushrooms and Mushroom soup, sprinkled with Parmesan.
#2 Elk Steaks over an Aspen Fire with course ground pepper, W/ Dutch oven Taters.
#3 Cottontail stew...the kind I am eating as I type this,We got them yesterday....;-)

Mtn lion is the other, other white meat and is really good. More people should give it a chance.

Bison! Antelope, moose, sheep, elk. All very good

MT_Grizz.jpg

Antelope and moose are at the top of my list. I eat a lot of whitetail deer and a few mule deer and it is pretty good too. Sorry guys but I don't care for elk nearly as much. I certainly eat it when I get one though. Bear backstrap was delicious although a bit chewy.

Of the winged critters my favorite is goose or turkey breast marinated in Italian dressing. Don't like duck nearly as well but since I enjoy hunting them I eat them. Used to have pheasant every year at Thanksgiving when I was growing up in Iowa.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Yukon Dall, send all your venison my way!!

Mine, even though it isn't game, is sand hill crane!! Anyone ever eaten it? Fantastic!

PC

Hard to beat blue and ruffed grouse. Best eatin' birds on the planet!

But for critters that don't fly...moose, whitetail, and elk are my top 3.

Antelope makes the best jerky!!

>Yukon Dall, send all your venison
>my way!!
>
>Mine, even though it isn't game,
>is sand hill crane!! Anyone
>ever eaten it? Fantastic!
>
>PC

PC,
I heard that too but never had the pleasure of eating sandhill crane.
Zeke

Elk, Sheep, Buff on the big game side.

Pheasant and Chukar on the bird side....

Lobster and shrimp on the fishy side

Robb

Being fairly close to Sevileta and Apache Bosque's I should breakout the 870 and goose rounds and try Sandhill crane for once.
Been hearing from local how good they are

Guess I may as well weigh in. I have eatin' most of what has been mentioned. But antelope and deer, which includes mule deer whitetails and blacktails, backstrap. Has to be medium rear to rare.

Something that has not been mentioned is bullfrog, hind legs, better than chicken.

On a more exotic note, Zebra backstrap. Need more, planning on it. LOL.
from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

>Guess I may as well weigh
>in. I have eatin'
>most of what has been
>mentioned. But antelope and
>deer, which includes mule deer
>whitetails and blacktails, backstrap.
>Has to be medium rear
>to rare.
>
>Something that has not been mentioned
>is bullfrog, hind legs, better
>than chicken.
>
>On a more exotic note, Zebra
>backstrap. Need more, planning
>on it. LOL.
>from the "Heartland of Wyoming"
Those bullfrogs are tasty!

Moose and it isn't even close. Cougar is indeed the pork of the mountains and very good. In the feathered world nothing beats a limit of ruffed grouse.

Young grouse are good but hard to beat a chuckar breast. For game meat the African wild game is much better than what we have in North America.

Young, fat mountain goat is incredibly hard to beat! I do love some eland though. Musk ox is high on my need to try list though. I've lived off wild game my whole life, and if properly cared for and well prepared, it is all good. That being said, I love fatty meat and most wild game lacks that. If you get the opportunity to try a young my goat, that fat is the sweetest, lightest, wonderful fat I've ever eaten. Plus the meat is very tender and mild (obviously a 10" billy or old nanny will not be the same)

Greenwing teal, pheasant, grouse and pronghorn.

"The State of Utah has not given BGF anything.
They have invested in BGF to protect their
interests."
Birdman 4/15/15

I would have to strongly agree with oryx. If you have never had it, it is great. One of the very few perks of living in southern New Mexico.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-15 AT 05:02PM (MST)[p]Without question beef is whats for dinner!

Best wild game I've eatin has been Antelope & them blues & ruff are great! Almost can't eat elk unless its in a brats jerky or pepper styk.

By the way I raise my own beef no whoremoans or antibodies, but they are grain fed, grass fat sucks!

>Greenwing teal, pheasant, grouse and pronghorn.
>
>
>
>
>
>"The State of Utah has not
>given BGF anything.
>They have invested in BGF to
>protect their
>interests."
>Birdman 4/15/15

You'd even Eat a Big Black Bomber wouldn't you ww?

"I'm Living & Dieing with the Choices
I've made!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=N8i5NLyXZdc

>I want to try wolf some
>day. It's gotta taste a
>lot like elk.

That's gotta' be true !

I like deer tenderloins dredged in flour and spices and cooked in butter.

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Whitetail, Chopped steaks with Jalapeno and cheese wrapped in bacon. Cooked over mesquite coals. Cooked some the other day. Really Good. I really like ruffs cooked in butter with garlic and S & P.

A fall bear fattened up on thousands of pinion nuts gets my vote!

First bear I've ever eaten; shot, processed, and cooked by myself. She even smelled nutty when I was cleaning it and the flavor is outstanding!

2f350s: Spend the money on additional licenses and HUNT more!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom