The best wilderness?

Buckhunter1

Trying to keep the Blacktail site alive, so my question is whats the best California wilderness to kill a buster Blacktail? Ive hunted most of them in No Cal and it comes down to the Yollys and the Alps for me.Im thinkin the Yollys might have a little better quality but the Alps are still my favorite. What do all you wilderness hunters think? BH1

The Trinity Alps #1. Followed by Sanhedrin, Snow Mtn and then Yolla Bolly.

Never been in the Yolla Bolly but I have hunted the Alps and the Marbles and Red Buttes and I think they all are good but much of the known areas are hunted as hard as outside the wilderness because everyone who goes in usually hunts hard and off of the trail whereas outside most stay in their truck and don't leave the roads. But the wilderness experience is something every hunter should try you can find yourself all alone and in the middle of some bomber blacktails especially in archery season!

Bill

Never thought about it much but I think your right, Ive never really seen a lazy hunter while in the wilderness. I use to wait till the last week to hunt the ALPS in a lower area but anymore its covered with people. Maybe the middle weeks and yes you will see some great bucks and bears during archery. BH1

Have seen more monsters in the bollys, but probably more deer and bucks in the alps. Alot more water in the alps. and alot more country.

I have never been down to CA and hunted blacktails. Hopefully that will change here in the next couple years. I mainly hunt timber company land that is gated in the Oregon coast range. I have however hunted deer, elk, and bear in the Eagle Cap and Wenaha Wilderness areas in NE Oregon. Best blacktail areas in Oregon are anywhere in the SW corner of the state, Clackamas county, or the eastside of I-5 between Sweet Home and Eugene. Is it easy for Non-residents to hunt those locations for blacktails in CA or are any of them a draw?

The B zones never fill their quota of 55,000. Basically over the counter tags. Here are my top two choices:

1. B1 Mostly Mendocino County, lots of public ground
2. B2 Mostly Trinity County, tons of public ground

I would add B6 to that list which is home to the Marble Mtn wilderness. The terrain is probably much like S Oregon very thick forest.

JR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom