The Black Canyon of the Gunnison

BeanMan

Long Time Member
My baby Brother, my next door neighbor growing up, and I spent yesterday hiking in and out of Tomichi Point in the Black Canyon. This makes the 32 year in a row we’ve gone into the canyon together. Fishing was great but we didn’t catch anything over 18”. It was good to see that Rainbow trout seem to be making a comeback.

25F9D23D-385C-4256-8903-33FBE3A58110.jpeg

1197D397-1085-434C-BEE3-876C9E9EBFFE.jpeg

Sounds like a pretty special place Hasbean. My cousin and I used to hike down into the Tuolumne River canyon to trout fish here in California. There is nothing like fishing for wild trout.

We usually spend the night, or even better two nights. NPS, in it’s infinite wisdom, is not allowing overnight stays in the canyon due ToCovid-19 for ‘safety reasons’. We were the only ones in the bottom and we drove to the canyon in the same car, go figure.

Nice Beaner!

What other Breeds of Trout Inhabit the River?
It’s mostly Brown trout but the rainbows are making a comeback. 30 years ago you could fish for two days and catch a couple of browns. When whirling disease got introduced it switched to 99% browns. The newer whirling disease resistant strain of Rainbow is starting to change that, about 20% Are rainbow now.

24-25” Is the biggest, given the remoteness and being a tailwater fishery one would think they could be bit larger.

That brings back great memories. In the late 80’s a couple buddies and I hiked in and fished for a few days. Thanks for the great pics. I’ve kicked around Montrose and Dove Creek some. It’s sure pretty country

That brings back great memories. In the late 80’s a couple buddies and I hiked in and fished for a few days. Thanks for the great pics. I’ve kicked around Montrose and Dove Creek some. It’s sure pretty country
You can’t keep any rainbows and I think you can keep 4 browns. Fly and lures only.

Oops, I was replying to bobcat

Last edited:
Well, you really don’t need them to catch lots of fish, Rapalas, spoons, crocodiles, etc work really well.

Plus, we do tune ups for scoundrels

Looks like a great trip! It’s really cool that you and your brother have been able to keep up the tradition for so long!

Long ago I would pack a raft in CHUCKER. And rig it. The boss would hike the clients in and do a three day 2 night cast and blast . See Chuckers beach it and hunt them. Id ride out with the stock...Packed camps in the Ute trail for fish outfitters out of Crested Butte they killed them when they hit a hatch... Thats a great option book years ahead. I know packers still run stock for them. It is pretty damn special down in there.

Long ago I would pack a raft in CHUCKER. And rig it. The boss would hike the clients in and do a three day 2 night cast and blast . See Chuckers beach it and hunt them. Id ride out with the stock...Packed camps in the Ute trail for fish outfitters out of Crested Butte they killed them when they hit a hatch... Thats a great option book years ahead. I know packers still run stock for them. It is pretty damn special down in there.
Damn special, I’ve been down first the Monument and now NPS routes more times than I can remember but I’ve yet to go down any of the BLM trails. I guess I should. Hatch is gearing up too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom