The Burger Switch...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Ok...serious question. How many of you guys have made chili or spaghetti with deer burger and said it was hamburger? I just made a hamburger with the burger from my Colorado buck I shot this past season and it was very good. No gamey flavor what so ever. It really kicks the ca=rap out of hamburger and has the same basic consistency as turkey burger (no gristle). Have you attempted to trick your wife into thinking it was store bought hamburger in the meal when in fact it was wild game burger? How did it go over? I'm thinking I may try it with this burger from my deer. It's that good. I cant say that my wife would know the difference.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

She'll never notice.....Bess swears she's not particular about where her meat comes from....

You can flavor it how ever you want. I can usually tell the difference. All venison or elk burger is not created equally. You want premium burger, trim every ounce of silver side, fat, ect off before grinding and you will have some premium burger, or you can process it like most butchers and send chunks of meat through with all the junk on it. The result is some wild tasting burger.

No trickery here...
They all know when it's beef burger because it tastes like S**t compared to elk burger.

>She'll never notice.....Bess swears she's not
>particular about where her meat
>comes from....

That's Right & Ms Wisz Never Lies!:D

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

1 and 2 are hilarious! Did you guys text eachother and try to tag team me like you do eachother? LOL

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Along the same line as hamburger. Years ago, late 80s to early 90s, there used to be a wild game processing plant in Douglas, WY. that was run by a gent who used to be a USDA meat inspector.
Take your antelope in there and he would process the backstrap and loins into steaks and chops and the rest of the meat would go into making sausage. Boy! that sausage was some of the best I ever ate. I am sure he is retired now.

RELH

>My wife does the cooking. That's
>what wives are for.

You know why wedding dresses are white? All appliances come in white. ?

I agree that it can be harder to tell if you clean up all the gamey parts 1st. I've had some really good game burger.

As cabinfever wrote, any silver skin and such parts should not go into the burger if the wife is going to eat it. Cabelas grinder is a great investment. I add 15% beef suet (free) to the grind and vacuum seal in 1lb packages.

I hear you, feddoc! Some wives have a 6th, 7th and 8th sense. NOTHING gets by them.

My married kids, wife and I processed over 450 lbs of game burger last year. We always keep the rump and straps for steaks and roasts but the shoulders, neck,shank and trimmings are used in burger with 10% beef suet. We trim everything well and get rid of the fat and connective tissue.

There's no tricking anyone since wild game is what we eat!

Every family is different and Ill gladly keep mine!

Good luck Wisz.

Zeke

Has anyone ever made deer meat lasagna? doggone wonderful.

I mixed my deer meat with a bit of sausage and made the best lasagna I have ever tasted.

You don't have to "trick" anyone if you don't grind the meat in between the ribs and shanks. That is where the "game" taste comes from. Also, grind 22% beef fat. Preferably kidney fat. That fat around the kidneys is snow white! Try it next year. pc

My wife would be pissed if I tried to trick her with beef burger. We've been eating wild game, sans the occasional ribeye off the grill, for 27 years. Beef tastes tamey.

Plus one on the bacon, buy the cheap walmart bacon and grind it with ten percent of burger. I even put bacon over my elk roast and slow cook it in the crock pot.

Wisz, in all honesty, I haven't made burger in over 30 years. It all gets cut into steaks, stew, or jerky meat. Venison stew on a cold winter day is the best.

I've used bacon in cooking for decades but the first time I saw it ground INTO the burger was on a recent Meat Eater TV show. Sounds yummy and I'll probably grind some this year with bacon but since we use burger in so many different ways, I'll stick with the beef suet in most of it.

Now I'm really hungry!

Zeke

Just remember that the pork starts to go rancid after 6 months in the freezer. I also remove 100% (TRi see where the % sign goes) of everything white. + 100 on the beef suet, if you can get it. The real beef suet is the round balls of fat around the kidneys like stated prior.

DZ

Done it to my coworkers at the annual potluck. I made a big pot of chili with beans and used elk sausage. Everyone was raving about how good it was, then someone that knows I hunt asked if it was game. I told them it was, people grudgingly admitted it was good. They did ask if I was bringing elk chili again this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom