The Dirty Buck

W

WMD_Utah

This is the buck my brother shot the evening of opening day. It ended up getting stolen from him by some fat lazy road hunter from Nevada. We decided to name it the ?Dirty Buck? because we hope that the low life that took it will never feel good about what he did. It would have been my brother?s first archery buck. His shot was a little far back, but blood immediately started to poor out and there was a good blood trail going from the top of the ridge where he shot him to the bottom of the hill where these road hunters jumped it from its death bed. My brother only waited 20 minutes to start tracking him because he could hear people driving around down below and felt uneasy. He followed the good blood trail through the trees until he reached an opening where he saw 6 guys standing around his buck. He then started running down the hill and the guys quickly started dragging it to their truck. When he got down to them they were loading it up and he asked them if the buck had been hit and they said yes but they shot it again and killed it. My brother, out numbered 6 to 1, went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows as he knew they were not going to give the big buck up. When my uncle, two cousins and I caught up with my brother and heard what had happened we were furious. We decided to track down the guys and call the authorities. We were able to get a town marshal to respond (we were hoping for a game warden) and then we found two of the guys driving the vehicle that they loaded the deer into. The marshal had the men call there buddy and tell him to bring himself and the deer to our location. While we were waiting for the man to arrive the marshal told us that he didn't think that there was much that he could do but that we should just stay back and let him do the talking and see what happened. When the guy got there he said that he saw the buck come across the ridge (this was before my brother shot it) then it ran down the hill and he could see that it was limping, when it got to the bottom of the hill it bedded down. He then told his buddy that he was going to sneak up on it and finish it off. He said that his first shot hit it in the butt and it ran a little ways and he then shot it again up its butt and into the lungs and killed it. There was no sign of this supposed kill shot because the deer had been gutted. The marshal never gave us a chance to counter this guys BS story and ended up letting him take the deer. All we have now are these two pictures and a story we will never forget. I can't believe that someone could be so unethical and greedy that they would sneak up on a bloody dying deer, put another arrow into it and claim it for themselves. We later talked to someone from the division of wildlife and they said that there would have been nothing they could do either because the other guy had put his tag on it first. I hope that this will not happen to us or anyone else again, however I am sure it will. I know that if I find myself in this situation again I will not sit back and expect the rightful outcome, but will stand up and fight for what is right.
889408202011_01.jpg

694208202011_02.jpg

It's Sad this kinda BS happens but it does!

Tell your Brother to hold his Head up High & keep Huntin!

There are some Real Dandies in the Field!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Feel bad for your brother. Hard to believe that you could have azzholes who could be so low as to steal another hunter's hard earned trophy. I hope he's able to put the incident behind him and not let it get him down. I believe that good people triumph in the end and your brother will be rewarded with another opportunity in the field at another trophy buck. Keep the faith.

Eldorado

Sorry to hear that man. I had the same thing almost happen to me last year, on my elk hunt. I shot my bull, he ran off to go bed and die, and before he could get into the trees another dude on the road started flinging arrows. And claimed that they hit him and that he was their bull. Luckily I had my buddy's that saw me stalk in on the bull and hit him, that vouched for me. When we finally recovered the bull the only arrow in him was mine. But ya I did hit that all time high and low within minutes of each other, so tell him to keep his head up. And to go poke a big one!

Randall Limb
Limb Creek Outdoors
www.limbcreek.com
www.facebook.com/limbcreekoutdoors
Wac'em Broadheads Pro Staff

wondering how common this is..

Just got off the phone with my brother in law who had a similar incident just happen this weekend in Oregon. The fat road hunter simply lied and looked at him wide eyed then put his tag on the buck. My brother in law tracked the darn thing for about 400 yds.

All I can say is someone recovered the buck but the morals/ethics are complete bull shi$$! Also do your best to get a good fatal hit and I promise you or others will not have to worry!

Holy eyeguards! Pretty cool buck and story. Congrats on a dandy buck. Tough situation to be in, at least you can sleep at night knowing your not the azz clown stealing other peoples deer. I hope that buck haunts that guys conscious for the rest of his lazy, slobby, pathetic, lying, cheating, stealing life!
I hope you tag out on an even bigger buck man, you deserve it.

A case where the law doesn't back the ethics. Best to not stew on it. Get your bro out there and get his buck.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-11 AT 10:49PM (MST)[p]First of all....theres 2 sides to every story and just so people can hear it im gonna tell what really happened that late afternoon. My buddy and i decided to camp the base of a ridge where for the last 4 months of scouting as well as several previous years of hunting we have seen and shot big bucks. That particular night we were there for about 2 hours before we spotted a big deer running across the ridge and straight down the mountain to us. To our surprise the deer got to the bottom of the hill and looked around for about 5 mins then started walking south and to our right along the bottom of the hill. He was about 100 yards away at this point and we saw thru our binos that yes he had a limp and there was a wound six inches from the end of his ass. Now, you call these so called hunters who took 4 months of practice before the season as well as 13 yrs of bow seasons under their belts lazy road hunters? For one... we were 1000 feet from any road dumbass and lazy is YOU not taking the time to practice harder or better to not shoot the deer in his ass. Dude...the heart is on the other side of the deer. Shooting that poorly is an embarassment to the sport of archery hunting and if you cant do better then that put away your bow and go grab your rifle again. Secondly, we hiked to the top of that ridge and saw 9 other bucks just like this one as well as a bigger one. Now as for the time you say you waited i call complete Bullshit. When we saw that deer walk casually over to the tree and bed down we gave him 30 mins at least to calm down before i stalked 80 yards and jumped him up to get a shot... two shots actually , because the first one(which i showed the Marshall) went from his rump to his lungs and the second(which i also showed the marshall) was the "make sure hes down for good" shot. Normally i wouldnt take the so called "texas heart shot" but i knew that at 24 yrds i could drive my arrow all the way to the lungs from the angle he presented me once i got him up out of the bed. At this point my buddy and i stood over the deer for a solid 30 mins at least while waiting for our buddies to arrive that we radioed earlier. So lets see...that about a good hour at least so far from when we spotted that buck . Once they arrived there we all decided that we didnt want to gut the deer then drag the meat about 1000 feet thru the dirt so we took turns dragging him 2 at a time across the meadow to where the vehice was parked where we then gutted him and put him on the hood. Sooooo.... by now its been 2 hours and we see a person come walking over thru the meadow and admitedly say "Did you guys see a deer come thru here with a shot thru his rear? I think i shot him really far back " to which i answered yeah...we watched him for a while and gave him time to calm down then stalked up to him and shot and killed him and tagged him. Bottom line is..even the Marshall commented how crappy the shot was and I have 6 people that can attest to this being the gods honest and complete truth and if you want to sit here and slander people because your pissed off that you put a shitty shot on a animal that deserved beter than that then so be it. Dont be angry at us.... be angry at the fact you didnt take or put in the time shooting that bow so that you wouldnt make a completely horriffic and embarrassing shot on the deer. My last three words to end this story will be this....Practice Practice Practice

MuleyMan69
To quote you...

"lazy is YOU not taking the time to practice harder or better
to not shoot the deer in his ass. Dude...the heart is on the other side of the deer."

To quote you again.....
"i stalked 80 yards and jumped him up to get a shot... two shots actually , because the first one(which i showed the Marshall) went from his rump to his lungs"

ROFL......Seriously???? Dude....the heart is on the other side of the deer.

Sh!tty deal for both parties on this one from the looks of it.....sometimes things just don't roll out the way we all envision they should.

Hmmmm... Interesting story.
MuleyMan69
I'd have to say that if you have been bow hunting for 13 years you should know it takes time to blood trail a buck, and you might have a bit more respect for the original shooter and understand that things happen and arrows don't always end up where they're intended. And like was said before you took how many shots at its hind end??

On the other hand you did put the buck out of his missory, and might have made the "fatal shot", therefore legaly its your buck. Taking a easy buck doesn't make you lazy.

Interesting story.

Bummer deal for booth parties involved in my mind . It's too bad there was drama involved over what should have been a good archery hunt .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-11 AT 00:26AM (MST)[p]I wanna know where this ridge is you saw 9 other bucks just like him and one bigger :) That's a lot of giant eye guards for one ridge!!

~Z~

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-11 AT 02:01AM (MST)[p]well that's huntin in utah, any season anywhere within 1000 FEET of a road that you can spot 9 bucks like that.

I have No opinion on who's right, or who's wrong. I wasn't there. But as a non novice archer I can imagine a conversation between a 13 year "pro" and a newbee-

"Yes I saw that buck you wounded...your arrow musta ticked a limb at the last second?....well I put him down, and was gonna tag it myself, but since you didn't quit looking for it, and probably would have got a second shot on it, and because I've seen bigger deer on this ridge, I'd be glad to let you put your tag on it,congrats on your first archery buck"

but a legal kill shot gets the tag...

Hope everyone is proud...and happy...that they can keep hunting the big deer.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Muleyman69

You tell this kid that he should be ashamed of himself for shooting the deer in the butt, then you shoot it in the butt twice yourself?

It is good that you finished the deer off so it didn't escape and die somewhere, but you could have been a hero to that kid and said you were only trying to end what would have been a long tracking job for him and then let him have his deer.

If you and your pro team are 13 year bowhunting veterans that have killed lots of big bucks on that hill, then you should be able to still go out and get er done right? Let the kid have his deer.

At least you taught him a lesson on how NOT to be in his future bowhunting adventures.

oakbrush.

>Muleyman69
>

>It is good that you finished
>the deer off so it
>didn't escape and die somewhere,
>but you could have been
>a hero to that kid
>and said you were only
>trying to end what would
>have been a long tracking
>job for him and then
>let him have his deer.
>
>
>If you and your pro team
>are 13 year bowhunting veterans
>that have killed lots of
>big bucks on that hill,
>then you should be able
>to still go out and
>get er done right? Let
>the kid have his deer.
>
>
>At least you taught him a
>lesson on how NOT to
>be in his future bowhunting
>adventures.
>
>
>oakbrush.

I completely agree with this. If you are some hot shot with 13 years under your belt. You could have given this kid his deer.

It's not too late either...

Does anybody else find it interesting that there are two guys who have their first posts on the same thread attacking each other?

I guess at least they are not asking for a spot to hunt.

You guys nailed it. MuleyMan69 definetly taught the kid a lesson on how to act like a child. Nice job, I hope you are proud of yourself.

Kid, learn from it and I hope you react in a more adult manner if you ever find yourself on the other side of this situation in the future.

I would have let the kid tag the buck. BUT, it sounds to me that the one who killed the deer had already cut his tag when the first shooter showed up. At that point it's too late to give up the deer, he would have lost his tag and the buck he killed.

I've had two situations like this. The first time it was a nice 160" buck that two of us were shooting at. We both arrived at the deer about the same time. We discussed it, and the other man chose to tag the buck. I continued hunting, and later shot a 185" trophy of a lifetime.

The second time, I watched a man shoot 400 yards at a small 150" 4-point, and shot his front leg off. The buck made his way up to me where I finished him off. I was hunting a much nicer buck, but did not want to see this wounded buck get away. I hollered and got the first shooter over to the deer, when I pleaded with him to tag the buck. He declined to tag it. I had to put my tag on him. A couple of days later, I watched another hunter kill the 190" buck I was hunting. Now that was painful!

Funny that you are talking about shot placement when you put 2 arrows in his butt after the dying deer was too injured to move from his death bed and escape your so called stock. Also your perception of time (2 hrs) is way off. My brother was set up in the trees on that ridge so when you first spotted the deer it was working its way to where he was sitting. When he was able to get a shot off he only had a narrow opening and the deer was on the move. I like how you pointed out the exit wound to the marshal, which was further back then the entrance. We have put in lots of time practicing and even more scouting the area. In the past 3 years of hunting the area I have seen few others that have hiked up into that area away from the roads. You were set up about 150 yards from the road and would never have had a chance at this deer if it had not been shot. All of your so called buddies claimed they weren't really friends with you and expressed how bad they felt for what you did. You know what you did was wrong and I know that karma will catch up with you in the end.

what gets me is all that fightin' over a 22 inch 4 point....what would of happened if it had been a 30 incher...gunfight at the O.K Corral???...one thing I'm doing on my archery hunting...making sure I'm at least 2 miles from any flippin' road...

If the first hunter had made a poor shot (If you have been hunting long enough this eventually will happen), and the shot may have been a gut shot, the first hunter should have waited atleast 8-10 hours before tracking. So, 3 hours was waaay to early. But, he tracked it anyway and found you tagging HIS buck.

Muleyman, it is common edicate in the hunting world to honor first arrow. If somebody hits a buck poorly, most ethical hunters would like to end the deer's suffering, and most guys will try to see the hunter end up with his deer. Do you real feel proud of the fact you shot a fatally shot deer? You must have known that this guy would come look for it. Did you look for the guy? I am afraid not.

Unfortunately it is your unethical selfish behavior that ends up in fist fights or worse.

I like this thread... It brings up a whole lot of feelings and emotions... So, I guess I'll throw my hat in...

As told from the horses mouth, the Nevada hunter is an apparent veteran of the sport, at least 13 years expereince in this area, and has killed some fine bucks in the past. As such, I can't imagine that a 23" 4-point could possibly be his biggest deer to date.
On the other side, we have a young, novice at the sport, who is obviously excited by archery hunting and was stoked to have stuck his first deer- A great first deer to boot...!

So, as I see it, the veteran should have probably shown some restraint when he, and his party, obviously KNEW the buck was wounded and had laid down... You guys must have known he laid down to die (like any well-hit archery buck would)... As such, you should have NOT PURSUED the buck. What's more, you probably could have staked him out, and let the hunter know where he was if he should come along lookin for him... You could have been a part of a very special first hunt for a young hunter...

I won't mention shooting skills, everyone knows that slight miscalculations, or breezes, or twigs can change an arrows path on any given shot, by any given hunter... I doubt the young man was shooting for the butt (if that's even where he shot him).

The veteran hunting party should have taken the high road. Should have been better men. Could have really made a young hunter's year, or maybe even his lifetime. Instead, it sounds like y'all got a bit greedy. You saw a nice buck, knew it was hit, and went after it knowing it would be an easy target. You squandered away a great opportunity to be better sportsmen.

I hope that the young hunter doesn't get discouraged. Hope he gets out there and finds another good buck... Let's all take a lesson and reflect on what we might do, in case it happens to us...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

+1 for oakbrush

some 13 year veteran you are, act like you have never shot a deer far back oh wait you did twice friggin retard.

sorry for the guys who tried to kill the deer first. now hes had a bad experinece in the bow business cause some jack-knife is too fing greedy and no repsect for some other hunters.

BR, well said.

Muleyman69, you did yourself no favors by telling your side of the story...in the future remember that is is better to close your mouth and be thought of as a jerk than to open your mouth and prove it...

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Had the same thing happen to a friend opening day, he shot a 170" 4 pt, ran 40 yards and died under a tree. As he was going to the dead deer another hunter came over the ridge saw it "sleeping" under a tree and shot it.... very sad the guy fought like hell to keep an already dead deer even after my buddy showed him the blood trail leading to that tree..

+1 on that. Best to just let it sit. But instead he just opened his mouth and proved what an @$$ he really is!!

Its hard to believe some people on here....

Browning is spot on! Is that buck really worth all that lol...

I wish the kid would have got the deer. Sometimes we have a tendancy to mix up whats morally right!

To some people that buck is a buck of a lifetime. OTC archery hunting is tough and it is not up to anyone here tp decide what is a trophy to another hunter. Any deer with a bow is a trophy, I would have been pissed as well and I have shot bigger.

Muleyman is a troll and represents everything wrong with hunting.

Outdoor said:

"To some people that buck is a buck of a lifetime"

You are right, especially for a kid that is just starting hunting. Imagine how different it might of been with a little more courtesy to the kid...

The B&C score should not factor into how big of an azz the guy is allowed to be. I am not so naive to think that it isn't but it sure would be nice to think it wouldn't matter how big the buck is.

I like the picture in front of the bar.

And the 13 year pro must have been real desperate for an average buck to have taken it from some kid. haha. Winning!!

I had a similar circumstance but with a different outcome. It was several years ago on the exteneded archery on the front. Two days before Thanksgiving with over a foot of new snow on the ground. Spotted a really nice buck held up in the oak brush. I was watching the buck from around 80 to 100 yards away. Was sitting there glassing the buck when suddenly I hear "see anything". Scared the crap out of me becasue I didn't hear him walk up to me with all the new snow. I quickly turned away from the direction I was glassing in hopes of this guy not seeing the buck. I said ya I've seen a few in here and he says there is a big buck just down below you. DAMN he sees the same deer as me. I have bowhunted for over 20 years now and by no means any better than the next guy but when this kid walked up, he had six arrows in his quiver and every last one of them had different fletching configurations with different length vanes, some three fletch some four fletch and different broadheads to boot. Well we eventually split up and went after this buck, I went above him while he went down below. I had moved to withn 40 yards of the buck and had him quartering towards me, just waiting for him to turn a bit when I hear the kid shoot. The first shot hit the buck low in the front leg. The buck jumped and went about 15 yards and stopped when the kid shot again hitting him in the guts. The deer turned 180 degrees and ran back ino the scrub oak. I moved in to about 30 yards and placed one shot right behind the bucks shoulder and through the heart. Well after short blood trail we both approached the downed buck at the same time. We both just stood there looking at the buck. He was awesome. He was a 26" wide 23" tall 5X7 with alot of character. Definetely my biggest buck. Well the kid asked me who was going tag the deer. I said I was because I killed it you only wounded it although I never intended on tagging the deer as he was the first one to hit it even though it was a fatal shot. The kid goes on to say that this was his first time bow hunting and this was his first deer. Well I eventually tell him that he can tag it because he hit the deer first. You sould have seen his face. He asked me several times if I was serious and I stated I was. He thanked me and asked me if he could borrow my knife. He didn't even have a knife on him or in his car for that matter. I ended up gutting the deer for him and dragging back to his vehicle. He was very appreciative and said he would meet me up there in the morning and push for me (which he did) as there was another buck in this bowl that was similiar in size to this one. The buck ended up grossing 179 and change. I am still waiting for karma to catch up to me as I have yet to shoot a buck that big.

As for Muleyman69, don't ya think it's a little harsh to call WMD_Utah an embarassment to the sport of archery? Maybe one day we might all be able to be as good as you think you are.

This story sounds way too familiar. I was hunting this exact same spot 2 years ago. A buddy of mine shot a weird looking little non-typical spike. He had shot it with a 3 blade rage and it ran down that hill. We watched it bed down and decide to give it some time.

We worked our way back to the truck and got on a small knoll to try and glass up the deer. Thats when I saw a truck loading up the buck my buddy had shot. We raced down there and confronted the guys loading him up. Like you, they had not gutted it yet(in order to make a faster get away). He had the same exact story as you about bedding him down and making the stock. What a bunch of B.S.

Come to think of it, that truck looks familiar too.

Is that what you do? Wait by the road to see if wounded deer come off the hill?

Why do you even bring your bow? Seem's like all you need to harvest a deer is a set of gloves and a knife.

Is that what you have learned in your whole 13 years as a "pro"?

Its too bad they didnt post a picture of your face so that we will know who you are and to glass the roads to see if you are lingering.

You are almost as bad as Colman Houston.

Team DIYbowhunter.com

Two sides to every story and seldom do you get to hear both sides of one like this. Law is law and right is right. We can sit here and say what we would have done or what the pro should have done but there are important parts to every story that get left out.I'm not judging either hunter because I wasn't there. From what I can tell from the story, I wouldve let the kid have the deer but again, I wasn't there. Its easy to jump somone for choices they make after they've been made but its beyond changing. If you don't like what the pro did, don't do it yourself when the situation arises for you.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

"lazy road hunters? For one... we were 1000 feet from any road"

WOW, a 1000 feet from any road? You must have been hunting out of a spike camp that deep into the woods!!! You blame a kid for "accidentally" making a bad shot then you intentionally make two bad shots your self, so should anyone who makes a bad shot on an animal automatically have their trophy taken from them? 13 years of hunting I'm sure you have followed up for a second shot on a poorly hit animal that YOU shot...or do you just lerk around the woods looking for other people's???? If indeed the kid came looking after a couple hours like you said, he did everything right by giving a poor shot some time, and YOU punished him for it! Thanks for the great hunter ethics. You would have been better off if you never even replied to this thread.

Maybe Karma will catch up to you Muleyman69?? IT might be right after you arrow a 200" buck and it goes over the ridge and some a-hole decides to let it calm down before he sticks a couple of arrows in it and puts "HIS" tag on it.

BC

i don't understand how you were stalking him...then "jumped" him at 80 yards, and then all of a sudden had a 24 yard shot in the booty???

For one... we were 1000 feet from any road dumbass and lazy is YOU not taking the time to practice harder or better to not shoot the deer in his ass. Dude...the heart is on the other side

Wow, 1000 yards from the road, how long did you train for that intence hike. Hope you are very happy with your deer, because I know that kid would have been.

Hey Monstermuley69,
See, this is the problem with types like you. After all is said and done, you KNEW that young man shot that buck and was blood-trailing from the top. How selfish can you be not help him out after realizing that!
Yeah, maybe LEGALLY you can lay claim to that buck. But MORALLY you are a douche-bag. How about congratulating that young man on his first buck and helping out instead of stealing it!
What a fine example of sportsmanship it would have been instead of acting like a greedy punk bully. You're probably the type that stole little kids lunch money in school.
If you're such a bad-ass bowhunter, why aren't you at the top of the hill burning boot leather to get one of those bucks like this young man was? Sounds like you're just another out of state, lazy-ass road-hunter that's morally bankrupt.
You should pay for a nice shoulder mount and send it to that young man. That might redeem you some, because no shower or other deed will ever wash you of "THE DIRTY BUCK". You took it, now you wear it!

I'm glad the second party helped put the buck down. Whether they should have kept it is a matter of debate.

Does it bother anyone else that the first hunter called every law enforcement agency possible? I understand he was mad, but I think it is pretty clear no laws were broken. And what's up with the description that the deer was hit "a little far back"? Poor deer took it in the hammy. Call the shot what it is.

Good for you Found... uh I mean Muleyman 69! Glad you got your buck. BTW - does your name happen to "Russell"? Just curious.

As for your brother WMD - well at least he gets to keep hunting this year and can chalk this up to experience.

There are a 1000 stories just like this one. Some sad, some happy but the bottom line is you just have to keep moving on. At least he can rest assured knowing that the buck was harvested and that this is not a "please help me find my wounded buck" thread.

Yep a lot of you archers out there sure continue to impress me.

HOOK 'EM!

manwho69's muleys, you should have given the kid his buck and kept hunting unless you're hard up to fill your tag.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-11 AT 04:50PM (MST)[p]Roy

You made my day LMFAO!

"Good for you Found... uh I mean Muleyman69."

Wondering how that Dirty Buck tastes? I envision a guy real low to the table with shifty eyes while he eats. Try to chew with your mouth closed.

The kid should have got the deer. I have two stories to share. Both invole the first shot made on a mule deer for my brothers.

1st - When my older brother was 16 we went on an opening weekend hunt and didn't get any shot opportunities. Later during the week my bro and his best friend drove up a local canyon after high school. (Those were different days. You could have a high powered rifle on the rack in your rear truck window in the high school parking lot. Nobody freaked out, the school didn't get locked down, nobody tried to steal it, and the reverend Al Jackson didn't fly in for media face time) While driving up the canyon a 22 - 24 inch four point ran accross the road. My bro pulled over got the gun out and started hiking up the hill side and was able to see the buck in shooting range. He shot the buck and it went down. The buck got back up and started running straight down hill towards the road. Two other hunters had stopped to watch. The buck got to within 100 yards of the road and bedded down. The other hunters shot from the paved road and finished it off. They got to the deer before my bro could hike down to it and proceeded to claim the deer. That has been an ugly memory for years and gets told at deer-camp campfire many times.

2nd - My younger brother's first year of deer hunting. My dad was out of town and me and my older brother were serving LDS missions. He's by himself. He ends up spooking up a 3x4 and shoots it on the run. Admitedly not the best shot choice but who of us haven't learned a thing or two since our first hunt? Anyway he hit's the buck and it staggers down hill into some trees. He can see the deer in and out of the trees as it was slowly trying to get away but can't get another shot of. He persues it down into the tress as the deer can't run too fast. When the buck came out of the other side of the trees, barely moving a group of 3 hunters who had come over after hearing the shot finished the deer. My bro got to it just after the other three got to it. The three ignored him as if he wasn't even there, one said who's going to gut it. My bro said "I AM". They said no this is our deer. It was two adults and a young kid. My bro felt out numbered and hiked very discouraged back to camp. On a ridge right before camp an older gentleman on a fourwheeler could see that something was wrong as my brother walked by him. He asked about the story and became irate when he heard what had happened. He said if those hunters come out this way while I'm sitting here ther going to get an ear full. My bro went over to his tent about 200 yards from where the man was on his wheeler. Discouraged he laid down on his sleeping bag to take a nap. His feet were just outside the door of the tent. After about an hour of nap time he got woke up by someone shaking his foot. It was the hunter who had finished off my bros buck. The old man on the four wheeler was the hunters father. The buck was field dressed and laying on the bed of my brothers truck. With appologies the hunter did the right thing. I still wish my bro would have experienced the first field dressing and the sweat involved in getting a buck back to camp but at least he got to come home with that pride of a first kill and share with friends and family the experience. We tell that story at the camp fire also.

The four wheeler man and Ibowforit have got it right make a young hunters year and they'll be hooked on hunting.

Damn, I hope muleyman69 shows up again to show us how great of a hunter he is! I want him to explain to us all how to effectively judge the proper angle to shoot an animal up the a$$ and drive the arrow through the lungs. Only 13 years of being a pro teaches you that kind of golden knowledge!

Traditional >>>------->

>I had a similar circumstance but
>with a different outcome. It
>was several years ago on
>the exteneded archery on the
>front. Two days before Thanksgiving
>with over a foot of
>new snow on the ground.
>Spotted a really nice buck
>held up in the oak
>brush. I was watching the
>buck from around 80 to
>100 yards away. Was sitting
>there glassing the buck when
>suddenly I hear "see anything".
>Scared the crap out of
>me becasue I didn't hear
>him walk up to me
>with all the new snow.
> I quickly turned away
>from the direction I was
>glassing in hopes of this
>guy not seeing the buck.
>I said ya I've seen
>a few in here and
>he says there is a
>big buck just down below
>you. DAMN he sees the
>same deer as me. I
>have bowhunted for over 20
>years now and by no
>means any better than the
>next guy but when this
>kid walked up, he had
>six arrows in his quiver
>and every last one of
>them had different fletching configurations
>with different length vanes, some
>three fletch some four fletch
> and different broadheads to
>boot. Well we eventually split
>up and went after this
>buck, I went above him
>while he went down below.
>I had moved to withn
>40 yards of the buck
>and had him quartering towards
>me, just waiting for him
>to turn a bit when
>I hear the kid shoot.
>The first shot hit the
>buck low in the front
>leg. The buck jumped and
>went about 15 yards and
>stopped when the kid shot
>again hitting him in the
>guts. The deer turned 180
>degrees and ran back ino
>the scrub oak. I moved
>in to about 30 yards
>and placed one shot right
>behind the bucks shoulder and
>through the heart. Well after
>short blood trail we both
>approached the downed buck at
>the same time. We both
>just stood there looking at
>the buck. He was awesome.
>He was a 26" wide
>23" tall 5X7 with alot
>of character. Definetely my biggest
>buck. Well the kid asked
>me who was going tag
>the deer. I said I
>was because I killed it
>you only wounded it although
>I never intended on tagging
>the deer as he was
>the first one to hit
>it even though it was
>a fatal shot. The kid
>goes on to say that
>this was his first time
>bow hunting and this was
>his first deer. Well I
>eventually tell him that he
>can tag it because he
>hit the deer first. You
>sould have seen his face.
>He asked me several times
>if I was serious and
>I stated I was. He
>thanked me and asked me
>if he could borrow my
>knife. He didn't even have
>a knife on him or
>in his car for that
>matter. I ended up gutting
>the deer for him and
>dragging back to his vehicle.
>He was very appreciative and
>said he would meet me
>up there in the morning
>and push for me (which
>he did) as there was
>another buck in this bowl
>that was similiar in size
>to this one. The buck
>ended up grossing 179 and
>change. I am still waiting
>for karma to catch up
>to me as I have
>yet to shoot a buck
>that big.
>
>As for Muleyman69, don't ya think
>it's a little harsh to
>call WMD_Utah an embarassment to
>the sport of archery? Maybe
>one day we might all
>be able to be as
>good as you think you
>are.

So you claimed a buck that was going to die,didnt give the kid another chance to finish it off....then you expect some kind of praise for finally doing the right thing and giving him his deer?You shouldnt have even knocked an arrow after he hit it,,un Fn believable.You would have been pickin teeth out of your shite if you tried that crap around here(probably there as well if it wasnt some young kid).

>Wondering how that Dirty Buck tastes?
>I envision a guy real
>low to the table with
>shifty eyes while he eats.
>Try to chew with your
>mouth closed.

LMAO

It is good to hear both sides of the story. I am not familiar with any wildlife laws that state the person that draws first blood is entitled to the animal, maybe some states have these laws? For most of us this is what we have been taught as tradition or hunters education as the ethical code in dealing with these type of situations. In the heat of battle sometimes the facts get blurred. It is also interesting to hear that so many of us have had similar circumstances happen in the past.

Southern Utah one time I was just ready to top over a small ridge when the shooting started on the other side, I ran up over the top and there at 120 yards was a nice 26 inch four point, totally alert but very healthy. I dropped him where he was, but my shooting got the attention of the young hunter who had started the shooting. He meet me at the deer I shot all excited, he was from California, first time hunting. He said he thought he hit him in the gut and the deer walked off. I told him I think he must have shot another deer, he was all caught up in the moment and was totally convinces the deer I shot was the same deer. I quizzed him about where he was and which way the deer went, then told him congratulations on getting his first deer. I took off in the direction of the deer he shot at and found him gut shot walking slowly up the hill and finished him off. The kid was right about one thing the two deer could have been twins, bad part was I had to clean the gut shot deer. I remember my hunting buddy as why did I give my deer to the kid; I think I said he was more excited about it and I wanted to keep hunting.

I really dont know that any deer is really worth fighting over. I shot a nice 32 inch buck once from accross the canyon at 580 yards, missed the first shot and hit him the second. By the time I got over to him, there was some guy standing over him, claiming I shot the deer he had been watching all summer, accussed me of be un-ethical in taking too long shot. My only reply was "he dead isn't he"...that shut him up and he walked off. I guess some guys kinda get attached to "their" deer.

Very good story Dobber we can only hope everyone we meet out in the hills act like you. I just got done hunting with my twelve year old son in Utah. We both had general archery deer tags and we are from Nevada. We had a great hunt he kill his first deer and with a bow. Now we are back in Nevada to hunt here. We seen plenty of people driving the roads sitting in the back of trucks waiting to kill something crossing the road "what a joke". We sat with the spotting scope for three days until we found one to go after. We stalked up to 14 yards he killed him. Great hunt with the whole family. To bad stuff like this post happens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom