The Prophet

C

Cowboy

Poor stupid creatures I thought when I saw the small band of elk trying to cross the sage flat to refuge and their protected winter range. They charged ahead like a troop of unarmed soldiers toward the enemy, one-by-one getting mowed down in the process. I have since learned that elk are tuned in to the environment far more than man will ever understand which leads me to the question of who is really the poor stupid creature.

The Prophet was an elk I knew that lived among the scrubby pines and boulders of the Wind River Range. I first encountered him in some boggy black timber in the lower reaches of his range a few weeks before bow season began in September. He was with some cows and their buff and tan colors drifted around in the deadfalls ahead of me. He bugled once and I circled to get a look at him. The elk moved out below before I could see him. Had I stayed I might have had them file right on past.

When bow season came the only evidence of these elk where some dull turds and weathered tracks in the meadows where they fed. I guessed they moved on up above, and elevated my hunt accordingly. I had found amongst the boulder fields pockets of grass and small pools of water. There had been elk here more recently, and I poked around looking for opportunity. He bugled from further up above in a few clumps of juniper at the head of the boulder field. I could not see elk from where I stood, but the heated air of late morning would reach him with my odor if I did not swing wide to flank him. When I reached his elevation, I cow called softly right next to a shrub that had been beaten to shreds by him. He never emerged and somehow he and his band had filtered down through the boulders into the scattered timber below.

Up until now, I believed my tactics were not flawed yet I had no better results than if I had performed an exposed frontal advance with my bow thrust out in front of me in clear brutal intent. I sat on a rock, rubbed my chin and dubbed my quarry The Prophet.

(to be continued)

RE: The Prophet, Part 2

Well in the years that followed, I had many more encounters with The Prophet. I did get to see him on occasion when he let me. He had a narrow spread but long-beamed and massive antlers. His voice was unmistakable and he spoke often, which I came to think of more as a taunt.

It was not until late one season that I really had a chance to claim him as my trophy. Black clouds drifted in one day and laid a blanket of white down across the home of The Prophet. It was every bit of 12 inches deep, but the bitter cold wind that followed the front began to sort and sift it around into drifts that evening.

I awoke at 3 AM and went through my routine. I was on the trail by 4 and began my stiff legged climb up the mountain. When I stopped to rest, the clouds opened up once and showed the brilliant moon which bathed the forest in its glow. But this passed and the clouds closed up and I picked up and moved on.

I arrived well before first light and took a position on the leeward side of a knoll where I could glass several meadows, hoping to see a bull. In a meadow not far from me I saw the faint tracings of trails in the snow, and after a while I went on down to look it over. A band of elk had moved through the meadow and fed some, probably in the last hour or two of darkness when the snow stopped but before I arrived. Their trails had led up into a stand of pines that flanked a ridge above me.

I made a wide circle and climbed the ridge some distance away, and then worked my way back to intersect the elk trails. In the meantime I stopped to glass and found a herd down in the shelter of a deep draw filled with burned out lodgepole nearly a mile away. I stopped and glassed them, bracing myself against the raw biting wind and swirls of snow lifted up by it. I never saw a bull worth crossing the deep ravine to get close enough for a shot. After a couple hours and a lunch, I stood up and plowed on.

RE: The Prophet, Part 3

Eventually I found where the elk had passed through the timber stand and their trails disappeared in a waist deep cornice that had formed on the ridge above the timber. I attempted to follow but simply could not move my legs any more in the deep snow. It was then I spotted a couple boulders on the ridge a short ways up and the wind had hollowed the snow out behind them. I sort of swam through the snow to that spot where I had command of the next ridge and set about scrutinizing the features when the ground blizzard would let up long enough.

When almost convinced the elk had continued past that ridge too, I returned to look at a form in the snow thought to be a rock and saw now that it was an elk. With my attention on that area, I eventually counted 11 elk bedded there. One of them was The Prophet.

I judged him to be right at 500 yards away, and on my best day under the best of circumstances I could make that shot. But today, not even Carlos Hathcock the Marine sniper could promise his bullet would find the mark. I simply must get closer, but to do so meant either counting on the ground blizzard as cover and approach front-on, or once again backing off circling above him and coming down onto him in a cross wind through the dead standing lodgepole.

It would take me all of 2 hours to make the circle fighting knee-deep snow and buried poles pointed down hill like skids waiting to send me off on my ass. In the time to make the stalk I would not be in site of the elk, and they could easily pick up and move without me knowing where they went. I was intimidated. This tactic had never been successful before with The Prophet?thus his name.

I decided to wait it out and see what they did. Perhaps they would return to that same meadow and pass right by me.

At about 3:30 PM the first cow stood up, and over the course of the next half hour all stood and slowly moved upwind to the crest of the ridge behind them. The blowing snow stopped a bit and the late afternoon sun came out. The yellow grass was lit in the sunshine on the ridge line behind the elk. The Prophet stood there, his antlers contrasted with the grass and he turned to look directly at me across the little valley between us. I gave him nothing to look at other than perhaps the top of my head peeking out over the cornice of snow. I couldn't believe that he would see me at that distance, but I had an odd feeling that he not only did, but saw clear through to my soul. Maybe it was just me assigning unrealistic powers to something which had gotten the better of me before.

When the band of elk finally disappeared over the ridge, I expected that they would be scattered out on the wind-blown slope feeding on the far side. I hurried across the valley and climbed up through the stand of burned lodgepole and now thigh-deep powder snow, huffing and wheezing all the way. My legs ached. I was within 50 yards of seeing the open slope, when the wind freshened and picked up the snow in a veil of white that lasted another 15 minutes of precious daylight. I huddled at the base of a big pine.

When it was once again visible conditions I quickly crossed to the slope, but the elk were gone. They had moved on again, and no amount of glassing gave me a clue as to where to turn next. It was too late in the evening now and I was far too far away from camp to resume the pursuit.

I slung my rifle and began the long march out. I never saw The Prophet again. His final prophecy was teaching me more about myself than about him, in a church far more magnificent than any made by man. He left me with the knowledge that as a man and hunter my will, my fortitude, my endurance and my desire fell far short of matching of a poor stupid animal?s ability to survive in its natural surroundings. Had I been hungrier or more desperate I might have done what was necessary to succeed. However, there is a peace in knowing I did not need to be successful and reverence for a creature whose toughness is far greater than mine.

Cowboy,
You are one of the only reasons I still show up here once in awhile. With you and the "ultimate Predator" around, at least there is still something to look forward to.

You may never know all the folks that read here and never say anything to you. It is always such a good thing to see you have been here and left a little something for us all.

Thanks for your contributions. I hope it fills a need for you as your stories fill a need for us.. I appreciate your willingness to share.... KattSkatt

Thank you for a wonderful story Cowboy! Now I really can't wait to leave for Colorado tomorrow.
Dennis

Cowboy, you have a wonderful way of expressing your inner most feelings, and your love and respect for nature comes through loud and clear. Thank you!

Steve

Howdy Cowboy,

Not only did I enjoy the story, but all of my 326 or so students enjoyed it as well. Consider this a Great Big ATTABOY! from my kids and myself.

Coach

Thanks Cowboy for once again taking me away from the city for a few minutes. While I enjoy hearing all of the success stories on the site and seeing the magnificient pictures, it is stories like yours that I look forward to the most. Can't wait to read more.

Doug

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom