The Real Cowboy

C

Cowboy

Well on account of my handle, I have been challenged about just what a real cowboy is. Here is what I believe.

In spite of the origins of the term, what a cowboy is about hasn't a damn thing to do with cows or boys.

The real cowboy was a man with hands like an ape, packed most of what he owned on horseback, and basically worked for keep.

The real cowboy really didn't give a crap what you thought of his appearance. He was an individual who put his ?get-up? together in a way that worked best for him.

The real cowboy squared off against the worst job and got it done. No bitching, no whining and no shirking.

So then, the real cowboy was someone who was modest, honest, and expected no more than a fair shake.

The real cowboy exemplified a way of life that has been diminished by greed, lust and easy living.

Even still, the real cowboy lives in each one of us today. You just have to look past the fancy cars, trophy homes, and high priced toys. He sits on a rock watching the twilight fade over the mountain snowfields and thinks he's the wealthiest SOB that ever drew breath.

Being a cowboy is really about complete dedication to freedom.

Are you a cowboy? I hope so. We need an army of them right now.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-04 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]Cowboy,

That last paragraph hits home more than you know right now. Thanks for keeping things in perspective for me, I really need it. I only wish the rest of the world had this notion about what is important and should be valued as priceless. It's certainly not whoever dies with the most toys wins that's for sure!

Noel (aka eyeguard)

I have always been a cowboy at heart...I would love to try that life. I love to wear a six shooter and ride a horse. Working from dawn to dusk sits with me just fine. I would much rather do it out among the sage brush...I love the smell of a horse and the squeak of leather in the saddle...Thanks COWBOY!!!! (again)

As a youngster (in my teens) growing up on the Oregon-Cali boarder, I grew up taking care of horse's & cattle, keeping fence's tight, hunting on horseback, putting venison on the table, putting the horse's out to pasture for the winter...man I sure miss it!...it was truly the simple life (uncomplicated) and the most rewarding...

Now all grown up I got a wife who knew nothing of that life style I grew up with, so it's been hard to make her understand why I do some of things I do...Allot has changed, for the worse I'm afraid...

Only a handful of people can live that life style anymore and few make a livein at it... :(

There is a movie about real cowboys with Tommy Lee Jones in it... Its called the Good Old Boys.... its got to be 10 years old or more... its a good one if you want to see what a real cowboy is like then you need to rent it!

Cowboy
You hit the nail on the head with this post. Cowboys, ranchers and farmers are all the same in my eyes. They're the ones who settled this west we love so much. Hard workin, honest, straight forward people. They're everything thats missin from todays society. What I find sad is all the greenies and quite a few hunters wanta run em outta bussiness.
The worlds changein and it's not for the better and I'll be dammed if I'm goin along with it!

Screw the whales, save the Cowboy
Wes

I have been looking for those words my whole life. I get asked that all the time...are you a real cowboy? It is in the heart, it is what you are inside, although I shoe horses, drive cows, rope, hunt, and work my ass off from dusk till dawn, wear a big hat everyday, all of that is what people see. I just wish they could see the inside. But like I Tell people everyday....I guess it just depends on what your definition of a cowboy is.....

Well said. Not to start an argument though because nobody is really right. To me a "real cowboy" is somebody who tends to cattle and knows his way around a horse real well, not a frame of mind. There is also rodeo cowboys who most, but not all, come from a "real cowboy" background. I think it's funny that a lot of people buy a hat to wear to the bar and keep a can of snuff in their back pocket and think that they are a cowboy. It's not the hat that makes the cowboy, it's what's underneath that hat. I also get a kick about the myth that all cowboys are soft spoken and hard workers. I know some who are the most arrogant, loud mouth, drunks around who would just assume steal you're saddle, pawn it and poke you're wife than help you. And by the way, there aren't many I would accept a check from either. I guess to me a real cowboy is somebody who can get on a colt in the morning and have him working a cow by the end of the day. But that's just my opinion.

Ropinfool...I'm glad you brought that up because I thought about it and didn't wanna upset anyone and then next thing ya know my saddle will be gone, wife is pregnant and so on ....so thank you for sayin that because I couldn't agree with you more!!:)

Ropinfool,

I guess we sort of agree, but here is where I am coming from. A real cowboy has been admired and imitated for certain reasons. None of which have to do with immoral behavior.

As an example, the most "real" cowboy I know wears no hat and prefers tennis shoes. His nose is bent and his knuckles are gnarled up. He just turned 60 and I saw him hurdle a rail fence without missing a step last week. He lives in a trailer that he had coated with foam insulation to keep the propane bill down. Got a job? He'll get her done. Don?t pay him for it and you
better leave the country. I have shared a few beers with him on that mountain rock. Honest, modest and expects no more than a fair shake. Since he does happen to know how to get more out of a horse than any man or woman I know, I'll concede there is more than attitude to the definition. However, most but not all rodeo boys and ranch kids wouldn't make a pimple on his ass and never will. I think its more attitude than the ?cow?-?boy? thing...but that's maybe just my definition.

Actually I really don't like the word.
It is a profession,a derrogatory word used by "sophisticated" types to look down on working people,It is used by the liberal freaks to express their disrespect for our president.
It is used as some sort of competition between people to see if they are more worthy than others in the outdoors.
It is missused more often than not.
I have had the horses,worn the hats,lived on ranches,known cattle,and been in some of the most wild places on the planet.
Cowboy? No.
I have known some that would do the adjective well, but prefer to call them good hard working people.
Cowboy is a word I very seldom use.

You're right. I guess it depends on who you ask. To me, i'm proud to be called a cowboy because i'm proud of my upbringing. But I know some people look down on me because of it. But, I think they are just jealous because the women like us....j/k.

The best response i've found to the question is "if you have to ask then you will probably never know."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom