The Rut....WHAT is Going On??

elkmanchad

What has everyone's experience with the rut been lately? My dad was up at our cabin near Rand (North Park) this past weekend. He saw a 6x6 all by himself; and he heard no bugles all weekend. He said the cows could have been in the willows near the bull, but it sure seemed like he was by himself.

Shouldn't a big boy like that be going crazy right about now?!?! I've heard the rut was slow to get going this year, but this seems ridiculous. I guess this could make my first season tag a great opportunity.

The rut has been garbage this year. I guided all muzz and the last week of archery. Called in three six point bulls the last week of archery and none of them were cow'ed up. Saw only two bulls the whole season that had a harem of cows. First rifle season should be really interesting...

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters
tenderfoot-outfitters.com

More like due to the high temps. they were not vocal or quite as active and rowdy as normal. Gestation periods don't change from year to year so I would assume that the rut is during the same period every year cause the calves are born every year during the same period.....

They are born each spring at the same time for one reason, maximum survival rates. If they are born too early, they freeze, if they are born to late, they are too small for winter and die. We/you/elk don't want fawns being born at any different times and surving, they will then be a "weak" link to the species.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

We were finding cows unattended and obviously not in or near estrous the last weekend of archery this year. Lack of bulls in the area isn't an issue either. I understand well that some years there will be more or less bugling activity relating to the "rut" but the timeframe that cows in any given area come into estrous does and can vary widely from year to year......as much as a month's swing. And basic observation of calf growth in archery season from year to year tells me their birth times vary just as widely. I think we will hear more elk being vocal during 1st and 2nd rifle season this year than most.

I'll be up in North Park this weekend. It will be interesting to see what is going on. I would guess that they are in the thick of the rut now. I'll report back on Monday.

I don't care what the biologist say, the rut was late. On October 3rd-5th I encountered bulls in a Southern eastern Utah unit that were rutting harder than I have ever seen. They did not stop rutting, fighting over cows and bugling for three days straight. It went all day and all night long, never stopping. I have never seen a hotter rut, nor bulls rutting that hard into October. The peak was easily two weeks later than when I normal see it. The poor archery guys really did not get much to work with this year.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom